thoughts on DBTS

Mode 7 and Determinance discussion

Moderator: Admins

SkyMage

thoughts on DBTS

Postby SkyMage » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:29 pm

i know there was a thread about this, but i can't find it. wanted to briefly drop my thoughts on DBTS. first off, Die by the Sword was NOT a "complete failure". except maybe in terms of sale and popularity LOL. there was nothing really wrong with the game, and to this day DBTS and its expansion pack "limb from limb" remain a standby on our LAN for resolving such debates as who makes the best fajitas.

When i first tried the demo for determinance i seriously thought it was built on DBTS's VSIM technology. the control is virtually identical, but determinance is better. the movement of the sword, though similar, is smoother and faster. more responsive, easier to work with.
annnnnyway, the reason i mention it is because the big selling point of DBTS was dealing Specific Damage to ur enemy. removing a hand, a leg, a head. whatever. any plans to take determinance in a similar direction?

dont listen to me or my suggestions yet, i havent paid my dues Razz but im going to Smile
Paul

Re: thoughts on DBTS

Postby Paul » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:57 am

Heh, we love DBTS - it's an amazing game...often intentionally and unintentionally hilarious in equal measure.

We wanted to do limbs-coming-off really badly - it's something which I want to return to if we ever do another version of Determinance. We do have limb-specific damage though: that's a pretty big part of the gameplay.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
rats_
Star Spawn of Cthulhu

Postby rats_ » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:31 pm

:< I wish my friends liked Dbts. :<

But no, they're warcraft3, diablo and cs fags. Damn, why don't I have any friends who like same games as me? :O FIGHTING! SWORDS! GUNS! ACTION! DACTION!
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn !
Kage

Postby Kage » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:02 am

I was in search of older games to play on my laptop while I don't have my console. I downloaded a copy of Die By The Sword and fell in love with the arena (not so much the quest though). I have been trying to get some people on my IRC to play it, but sadly they are retarded. Anywhoo, I was on the DBTS wiki and saw that Determinance was listed as the spiritual successor and couldn't wait to download it. As soon as i turned down all the setting I was played at 8 frames per second, lol. Still, what I played was fun and what I saw before adjusting the settings looked amazing. I will be with my newer PC soon and will try this game out with a gyration mouse.

DBTS is a good game that didn't get the success i think it deserved but thankfully it did lead me to this semi-reincarnation.
Paul

Postby Paul » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:11 am

Hey Kage,

Glad you're a DBTS fan who likes Determinance! Jamie Fristrom from Treyarch who did DBTS has been really nice to us in the past - he's a great guy.

I hope your framerate issue wasn't a bug and was just down to your computer - there are still a few lingering problems which seem to cause dodgy framerates on an overwhelming minority of machines. If you want to post a thread in the Technical Support forum we can look into that for you - or just try things on your new comp when you get it.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
Kage

Postby Kage » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:49 am

Oh no, it is 100% my laptop, like i said, I was looking for OLD games. It meets the rec sys reqs but it still a POS that runs like crap when ever the fan turns on.
SkyMage

Postby SkyMage » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:02 am

"Spiritual Successor." i dig that! i've been calling it the rebirth lol. it really is. after a few days of play, im not so sure detachable limbs would contribute much of anything to this masterpiece Very Happy cleaner duels this way. maybe just for the bots >_< i own those bots. they hit like a cobalt >:) have atcha! (i think?)
(\(O_O)/)
My brother and I are finally now going to retire DBTS. i'll put away a backup copy for the summer of 2054. if u guys could make *anything* in terms of merchandise, id want chase stevens cape in RL. and my spamming of the forum concludessss....nnnnnnn...now.
Kage

Postby Kage » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:17 am

I know you guys have gone through a history of people bitching that you can't fight on the ground but thats just what the game is. It's fast, epic, and airborn.

But the devs should take the engine and do a sequel to the game some time down the road. I think the fields of Scotland and some bastard swords are in order. Maybe on on mount sword fighting or jousting. Maybe a project more in the DBTS genre to think about.
rats_
Star Spawn of Cthulhu

Postby rats_ » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:09 pm

Skymage: Actually, it's "you hit like a kobold!". Those blue little nibblers with axes/spears/double axes.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn !
Paul

Postby Paul » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:55 pm

We'd actually love to do a DBTS-style game, with castles and mages and all that crap, but logistically, it's probably insane for a small company to attempt something so content-rich. Not totally out of the question forerver though! I think it's possible we'll return to Determinance at some point.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
Paul

Postby Paul » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:57 pm

Skymage, we have a t-shirt shop if you're after merch - go to the front page of the website. Also you can still buy the soundtrack CD...not that you'd need to once you have the game!
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games

Return to “General”