Distribution on Steam

Mode 7 and Determinance discussion

Moderator: Admins

Kage

Distribution on Steam

Postby Kage » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:53 am

Don't know if you guys have given this any thought but this seems to be a perfect title for distribution on the steam platform. The price is right, the type of game is right, and it would get a lot of exposure.
SkyMage

Re: Distribution on Steam

Postby SkyMage » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:04 am

a few short episodes depicting extremely leet warfare, on youtube. and watch the orders roll in. somethin we been talkin about, lol. "fraps-worthy."
*drunk*
richygorgan

Postby richygorgan » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:36 am

Yea steams the bomb, or at least the smoke from the bomb. Laughing
"one illustrious disciple " - Ian
Toshers

Postby Toshers » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:27 pm

Well, steam just finally convinced me to buy Gish (i wanted it for ages, but then it was right there in front of my face, with that extremely low pricetag...), so it's worth thought. But of course, you folks aren't stupid, so i'm going to assume that it had already been given a lot of thought.

Maybe it's going to be part of this second release that we've been hearing so much about...
Andy M
Paul

Postby Paul » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:13 pm

We approached Valve after finishing the first version of Determinance and they turned the game down with absolutely no explanation why.

They're very difficult to get in contact with - I spent a period of about three weeks trying to call the guy who I EVENTUALLY found out is responsible for Steam - and after that we got a straight no. It was a pretty disappointing time, as we really wanted to distribute with them, but we're over it now! Maybe if enough people email Valve about it they'll take the game.

I still like Steam and buy games from there occasionally, but it's kind of hard for us to sound objective when we talk about Valve for obvious reasons.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
Kage

Postby Kage » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:10 pm

I wish there was a place you could go that was life 4chan and would help you get things done instead of fuck things up.
Mischief Maker

Postby Mischief Maker » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:47 pm

Wasn't steam pretty much singlehandedly responsible for the success of the criminally dull "Darwinia?"

Personally I prefer my games in a self-contained installer.
richygorgan

Postby richygorgan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:23 am

Yea what makes Darwinia fun? When i tryed the demo i thought, dont say the graphics are unique because there lame, the gameplay you can find in anyother strategy, and i couldnt even get to the telepoter because the instructions are lame.

I suggest you get the walking in the game fully and try again, thats what people really want, ones who havent got the game.
Mischief Maker

Postby Mischief Maker » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:15 am

Well I played Darwinia all the way through and while I can say there are some legitimately pretty levels, the gameplay is always boring. The demo is probably the most interesting stage of the game and it's not even included in the full game.

Even more mystifying is the response the professional reviewers gave to Defcon. It's an incredibly shallow strategy game with slightly gussied up Atari 2600 graphics and glacial pacing. And the reviewers love it! They gush about how at its slowest speed setting the game takes 12 hours like that's a good thing. THey go into emotional fits because there's the sound of a woman crying in the background -God forbid they ever try "Shadow Man" for the Nintendo 64. They coo with glee over the diplomacy system that lets you betray supposed allies. As if diplomacy was a feature never included in a game before. They draw comparisons between the game and Dr Strangelove even though there is no satire to be found in the game. You can't even say it's the only game to attempt to recreate the movie "wargames" because cornutopia already did that years ago! http://www.treality.freeserve.co.uk/superstar2.html

But it got distribution on Steam, therefore it MUST be awesome.
Paul

Postby Paul » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:47 pm

I blogged about the Steam thing here - http://www.mode7games.com/blog/?p=435

I don't think the reason they didn't take the game was because it didn't have walking.

I played Defcon very briefly. I think it has one of the best looking menu screens I've ever seen (I'm not being silly - that's a compliment) and the graphics in general are fantastic. I didn't appreciate the bugs in the tutorial, but that's just being petty. It's basically not my kind of game at all, so I didn't really feel happy reviewing it or really commenting on it.

Uplink is great in parts. But a bit dodgy. Good first game though.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
Mischief Maker

Postby Mischief Maker » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:19 pm

Your blog entry reminded me of this one episode of the comic "Too Much Coffee Man"

Paul

Postby Paul » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:05 am

That's exactly what happened.

I've edited up the blog post a little to include some more detail and make it look nice, as people are taking an interest.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
richygorgan

Postby richygorgan » Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:34 am

I dont get it (Mischief Maker's picture). Its confusing.

Return to “General”