Frozen Synapse Closed Beta

Mode 7 and Determinance discussion

Moderator: Admins

richygorgan

Frozen Synapse Closed Beta

Postby richygorgan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:33 pm

"Frozen Synapse is going really well, and is in “internal gameplay beta” right now. “Internal” as in only-inside-Mode7. “Gameplay beta” because the graphics and sound aren’t even alpha yet but I’d say the gameplay is definitely beta. Which is pretty exciting after RIDICULO-PAIN-SHOCK-MINANCE. Anyway, closed beta will be coming soon and there’s every chance that YOU the reader will be on it. That’s statistically accurate - I’m pretty sure we only have fifteen regular readers right now."

So how do we apply? XD
Omroth
Site Admin

Re: Frozen Synapse Closed Beta

Postby Omroth » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:59 pm

Hey Richy, good to hear from you!

Everyone interested can post here. TIming is a bit uncertain right now but it should be sooner rather than later.

Ian
richygorgan

Postby richygorgan » Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:07 pm

Yea i check here at least 3 time a week (and the blog), just don't say anything because there is nothing to say XD. So i have a place in the BETA then?
"one illustrious disciple " - Ian
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:18 pm

Certainly. We're rolling out a little slowly, so you won't be in the first ten, but you will be in the next set after that.
richygorgan

Postby richygorgan » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:17 am

From Mode 7 blog: "Jimmeh: I was trying to get him to look in a particular direction while the game was running by control+right-clicking and these boxes with indirect came up instead. A few seconds later there was a big orange circle and the guy was gone."

No you have me intrigued, at first i though, ahh okay its going to be a normal platformer or normal shooter, but by reading thati cant even imagine whats going on. Not being dissapointed if it isnt but ive only seen Real time strategys use ctrl right click as a command.
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:02 pm

I can exclusively reveal that Frozen Synapse is not Real TIme Strategy. RTS is probably my least favorite genre, actually, as I feel like nothing you do is actually meaningful. Synapse is meaningful ;)
richygorgan

Postby richygorgan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:02 am

Alright, but now i got to defend RTS, i love the Age of Empires series, i think strategys are the games that you have to put the most input and and fast if you want to do well.

I've got FPS, RPGs, only spin ofs of racing games like Jak X because there all the same just driving around tracks buying new cars, platformers, i havent got sports games cause i hate sports and i havent got any fighting games like tekken.

So, i feel like RTS are very meaningful, plus theres a big element of team work in the games, who cares if you get shot in a FPS, you respawn in 5 -10 or the next round, your teammates would happly grenade you to get another enemy. In RTS teamwork is everything if your not playing 1v1, if one of your mates is close to dying and the other teams not its probaly he sucks or you suck and its gg(good game). You play a bit part in which team wins, thats gotta make you feel meaningful.

I think RTS's are the only game that children can't play effectively, anyone can mash buttons, anyone can click on a target and press your numerical keys, anyone can hold R2 or X or what ever to accelerate and turn corners and anyone can click and shoot while moving arround.

So its meaningful that you pay attension and create the right armys to command to counter the opponent, plus when the game is over if you win i feel that its the most satistfying win in games (apart from some boss fights in some games).

Sure theres no story to go along to but there isnt really a story in other online games:

Racing, nope
FPS, nope - or if its co op it usaly sucks
Fighting games - nope
MMORPG's, quests that you skip the dialog on because only the brain dead like to read that crap
I may of missed a few genres here but its pretty much the same.

If you say RTS are not meaningful then what genre is?
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:31 pm

I'm definitely not talking about story. I'm asking - is there any real skill in RTS games?

I don't really think there is in Single Player RTS games. You just find out whatever the level designer is asking you to do by trial and error. "Oh wait - you have to use the unit unlocked this level to win. WHAT A SURPRISE."

As far as multiplayer RTS goes, it's a little less banal. But only a little. Turtle vs tank rush, grenadiers vs artillery... it's just scissors paper stone. I want to be able to feint against my opponent, to fool him, to put all my forces in one direction and sneak attack from another. This is all stuff the games try and fool you into believing you can do, but you can't. RTS units are massively simplified charicatures of things that happens in real war.

Playing an RTS is about feeling you are controlling a war. But none of your tactical decisions make a difference. Because the aesthetic is so complicated there is almost no emergence. If you need to model spying and tanks and people and research and bad guys and aircraft and defenses and alliances and boats and EVERYTHING like that and still have it simple to control then there's no chance you can create a satisfyingly emergent system.

I think you're misunderstanding my use of the term "meaningful" a little. When I say none of the decisions you make are meaningful, I mean they aren't meaningful to the game itself. You're just building units and moving them. You're basically reading a script the entire way through, there's no room for any imagination or flair. Why not? Because everything you can do has been designed by the designers. You aren't spying on your enemy. You're [using] the [spy unit]. The difference is important.

Every time you get beyond single player and into more than 2 players then a game can improve immeasurably - just look at Diplomacy - so I'm willing to accept that RTS games can be awesome fun with four people. But I also think they could be 100x better.

If you enjoy RTSes, that's great! I have no problems with that. I do not, myself, like RTSes.
richygorgan

Postby richygorgan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:04 pm

Ok about single player i agree, your given objectives, and you do them with no problems. Multiplayer however is different, the amount of skill and knowledge it takes to win a game is beyond what any other genre requires, RTS is about fast reactions- its all about micro and macro, without knowledge you lose the game, the one i play (Age of Empires 3) is extremely well done and balanced, you can't just win massing one unit.

"there's no room for any imagination or flair." PFFFT!!

The only games that could be classed like that are games like Garry Mod, LittleBigPlanet and Simcitys. All other games, how can you be imaginative in them? As far as im thinking genres without imagination are Racing, Sports, Fighting, FPS and others. If you dont call making a army with stealth abiltys, going behind a base and rading vills i dont know what is. Its not the greatest example but compared to other genres you ALOT of choice is how the game plays out.
richygorgan

Postby richygorgan » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:22 pm

"My mission is to have a new beta on Sunday, wish us luck. "

Is that the batch of people getting the beta including me? Funny really, the only thing i know about this game is its name and its 2D, also sounds like it got multiplayer, "A lot of server logic ". Never had a beta, i play beta games but there open to anyone, i was supposed to have a beta in world of goo but they never gave me it :(.
richygorgan

Postby richygorgan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:23 am

I didnt get the sunday beta :(, when do you think i could get my hands on it?

Sorry for triple post didnt want to create a new topic.
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:11 am

Hey Richy.

Sunday didn't happen as I realised this weekend I wanted to put some new stuff in. I promise you'll be informed. In general, you're best hanging around in the IRC room as much as you can...

Ian
richygorgan

Postby richygorgan » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:35 pm

Ok i've never been on IRC, and when i went to install it i got confused or something, can't really remember...
richygorgan

Postby richygorgan » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:32 pm

"We’re under a lot of pressure to deliver right now, but if we can refine the gameplay that currently exists in Synapse and make it presentable to people, we’ll be as close to a home run as we’ve been yet."

Any date on a beta? Please just give me a screenshot or something, terrain deformation lit up my eyes, heck im buying Fracture even if it gets a 6.0 of IGN, why, cos im a sucker for terrain deformation.
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:13 pm

I think... beginning of Sept would not be out of the question. Tell you what Richy, you will be FIRST with the new beta outside of Mode7!

Return to “General”