Moderator: Admins

Omroth
Site Admin

Guile Alpha 1 Released

Postby Omroth » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:18 pm

Ok, here it is.

Installation Instructions

Big file

THIS WILL ONLY WORK AFTER 3PM ON SUNDAY. IF YOU'RE TOO QUICK, USE THE SMALL FILE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW

Just download

http://www.omroth.com/guileAlpha1Full.zip

and unzip to something like c:/Guile

Small File

1. Download http://www.omroth.com/guileAlpha1.zip

2. Extract to something like c:/guile

3. copy your program files/determinance/dt/data directory to c:/guile/dt

4. important! Open the zip file again and find dt/data, now copy it back into c:/guile/dt (overwriting existing stuff)

5. Download hdl.dll from www.omroth.com/hdl.dll and place it in c:/guile

Is that too complicated? Surely not. And the download is MUCH smaller.

INFORMATION

Ok, so this is Alpha 1. It's very early and please don't take anything as finished in any way, ever. These are the three main innovations.

Attacking

I think the biggest problem with Determinance is how hard it is to hit people. The sword arc/trail was an answer, but not one I liked much. Striking is a much better solution.

If you want to attack someone, go near them, press the left mouse button, and make a slash. Your player will automatically jump at your opponent and perform the slash when he's close enough. NOTE: you only need to move the mouse a little to perform a slash, moving the mouse more will not change the slash. The performed slash depends on the direction you move the mouse and the position of your sword to start with. To do a big slash, move your sword far right (or top or left...). To do a little slash, have your sword near the middle.

And you can jab! Just press the LMB and don't move the mouse.

Blocking

When you're not attacking, your sword is in block mode. It can't do any damage, but it can block and stun your opponent if he attacks unwittingly. The RMB currently does this weird block thing which is dependent on where the sword is. It's supposed to make blocking a bit easier, but it doesn't work too well imo.

Determinance had some pretty stupid blocking in it. Hold your sword out in front of you and it was very difficult to hit you - any sword on sword contact was a block. Guile has a much more advanced system. To block your sword needs to be at a good angle to the attacker's sword. It's pretty intuitive, give it a go.

A good block will stun your opponent for a second. Counter attack.

Walking

Ah yes. The prodigal son returns. Walking.

Everything's very early - the animation, the movement, everything. Let me know everything you thing.

Oh, and there's no jumping yet. There will be.

Will flying make a return? Who can tell at this stage.

What's next

Despite Guile's earlyness, I really need you guys to have some fights against each other. Please organise a few this week. Both me and Bin will be avilable to play, so let's set stuff up.

Please give me all your opinions.
Omroth
Site Admin

Re: Guile Alpha 1 Released

Postby Omroth » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:51 pm

Oh, and it's really important to note that there are almost no game mechanics in at the moment - just being able to hit people and block. Should be adding quite a few things in the coming weeks.
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:31 pm

Server problems at the moment... bear with me. Oh, and I'm going to try and find hdl.dll
richygorgan

Postby richygorgan » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:25 pm

I had a go vs Something Null, which was a unactive bot, i don't want to say much now, as this is an alpha and saying anything constructive is like saying to someone making a paper airplane to fold the paper to make wings, theres problems, and they will be fixed, so its alright for now with the exception of 90% o my hits doing nothing dispite pressing and slashing with LMB, so, no insults, no praises...at least for now :D.

And WTF is synapse already, give me the damn beta XD, teasing me will all this "assaulting the base is to hard", since its 2d, this must be some intative Soldat, thats right! Thats what it is! Isn't it?
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:06 pm

You couldn't get it to hit? Try this:

Stand close-ish to the enemy, no more than 7 or 8 metres away. Hold down the LMB and slash. Or don't salsh, that should jab. I'm pretty surprised you don't see a reaction though.
richygorgan

Postby richygorgan » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:33 pm

I did, 10% of the time, but the only way it really works is to step back then charge in again and that just makes it like some jousting competition.
"one illustrious disciple " - Ian

Return to “General”