Weird player statistics and matches

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

SniperZwolf

Weird player statistics and matches

Postby SniperZwolf » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:48 pm

Hello everyone. I'm not sure this is the right place to put this, so feel free to move this topic.
While browsing Frozen Synapse's daily rankings, I stumbled on something that stroke me as odd:

It seems like a lot of games for a single day, doesn't it? Looking closer at this person's games, it seems that all the matches are virtually the same (BTW, game #1151982 is obviously bugged):

All the matches look exactly the same. Two units in the following configuration. The match is committed and green wins.

It seems to me that someone is making two accounts challenge each other automatically, possibly in order to unlock the level 100 Steam achievement.
Should something be done about this? Do you even want to know? On a side note, is FS still maintained?

Thanks in advance for your time!
Gandalf8

Re: Weird player statistics and matches

Postby Gandalf8 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi SniperZwolf,

SniperZwolf wrote:It seems to me that someone is making two accounts challenge each other automatically, possibly in order to unlock the level 100 Steam achievement.

Yes, apparently. But no matter what the reason may be, it's obviously unfair. :(

SniperZwolf wrote:Should something be done about this?

I think so. Suggestion: Clear both cheaters', um, players' entire match history. Repeating the process should be tedious enough. If it happens again, delete the accounts.

SniperZwolf wrote:Do you even want to know? On a side note, is FS still maintained?

Well, you certainly don't hear much from mode7 on *this* forum any longer, which is too bad. Guess they're too busy with other projects. It's a pity, because, despite the fact that FS is a great game, there's still so much room for improvement ...

CU, Gandalf8
philb

Postby philb » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:50 am

Gandalf8 wrote:Well, you certainly don't hear much from mode7 on *this* forum any longer, which is too bad. Guess they're too busy with other projects. It's a pity, because, despite the fact that FS is a great game, there's still so much room for improvement ...

It looks to me like Mode7 have abandoned Frozen Synapse for all practical purposes. (I have posted asking about updates / bug fixes without answer, as have others.)
Gandalf8

Postby Gandalf8 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:10 pm

Hi philb,

philb wrote:It looks to me like Mode7 have abandoned Frozen Synapse for all practical purposes. (I have posted asking about updates / bug fixes without answer, as have others.)

I know; I have read them, and I have made the same frustrating experience as far as communication is concerned. However, somebody still does something. For instance, at least the score streak statistics have been purged of the traces of our recent cheater. Thus, it appears that the game is still monitored by mode7. Of course I agree that this doesn't count as proper support, but maybe they simply cannot afford that any longer, given the relatively small size of their team. I don't want to sound like coming to mode7's defence, but you gotta earn a living. Let's just hope that they succeed making enough money with their more recent projects, so that maybe they can intensify their support for FS again. I would certainly appreciate that.

CU, Gandalf8
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:03 pm

Ha ha ha! Nice one.

Don't worry about this guy, he can't climb so much. Elo system will stop him.
Gandalf8

Postby Gandalf8 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:53 pm

Hi guys,

taking a look at today's statistics, I couldn't help but observe that we have our next cheater. :( Would someone care to tell me what's so fantastic about reaching the level 100 Steam achievement? :? Since I doubt that anyone is dumb enough to "win" more than 400 games in this way manually, there seems to be a way of scripting the entire procedure. Maybe something should be done about that, unless we want this template to be copied over and over again. While one of the accounts engaged was obviously created for exactly this purpose today, the other one is quite old and thus possibly captured. Anyway, I suppose that some sort of security update for the server should be installed to prevent such things from happening again (or at least make them much harder to accomplish).

CU, Gandalf8
SniperZwolf

Postby SniperZwolf » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:17 pm

Since my first post, I've been doing a little research to see how this could be done. So I ran Wireshark to see what kind of network traffic is generated by Frozen Synapse.
Turns out it's quite easy to log in, create games and commit turns automatically: for the last two, all you have to do is replay packets that you previously captured. I haven't been able to decode the turn information (containing unit movement etc.) yet, but simple "lobby" commands are really straightforward.
I believe I (and anyone willing to - we've got a new cheater called MIB2) would be able to script my way to level 100 as well. Pending further research, I think I might be able to decode enough information to figure out where enemy units are located, which would be a huge help in "dark" game modes.

By the way, I can also tell that passwords are stored as MD5 hashes in the server database, which really isn't considered as state of the art nowadays, Mode7.
Gandalf8

Postby Gandalf8 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:48 pm

Hi again, SniperZwolf,

you found out:

SniperZwolf wrote:Turns out it's quite easy to log in, create games and commit turns automatically: for the last two, all you have to do is replay packets that you previously captured. I haven't been able to decode the turn information (containing unit movement etc.) yet, but simple "lobby" commands are really straightforward.

I thought so. :( With this perception, it's somewhat surprising that this interface hasn't been subject to similar exploits much earlier. Or maybe it has and we simply haven't noticed? For the time being, let's just hope that there aren't too many people with your skills around here that have already fallen to the dark side ... :)

I believe I (and anyone willing to - we've got a new cheater called MIB2) would be able to script my way to level 100 as well.

Yeah, that's the one I was referring to in my former post. However, the account obviously exists for more than three years already, which is the reason why I believe that it may have been captured. Your insight about how the passwords are stored may have played a role there ...

Pending further research, I think I might be able to decode enough information to figure out where enemy units are located, which would be a huge help in "dark" game modes.

Of course, you would never use such insight to your advantage, would you? :) Unfortunately, there are always some people who would, and they mustn't be able doing so too easily. Dear mode7 team, I once again recommend enhancing your server's security precautions.

CU, Gandalf8
Gandalf8

Postby Gandalf8 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi mode7,

Gandalf8 wrote:Dear mode7 team, I once again recommend enhancing your server's security precautions.

is there any progress on this matter? Looking into the "Score Streak" statistics, I can see that it's still topped by MIB2, who obviously cheated himself up there. The next three positions are much older, but apparently all of them got their "score streak" from playing Co-op matches, which shouldn't count here, either. Position number five looks rather artificial to me, too; score = record = 44 will hardly be a coincidence.

All of this shouldn't be allowed, and if you cannot prevent it by proper coding, then you should at least clean the database from time to time.

In the present state, the "Score Streak" statistics is pretty useless; you might as well omit it.
And by the way, the same holds for "Daily Percentage", which ist mostly empty, and probably not understood anyway.

CU, Gandalf8

Return to “General”