Again the annoying and infamous error after submit

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

wonderhero

Again the annoying and infamous error after submit

Postby wonderhero » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:54 pm

Again, after I spent 1 hour to set so many orders when I pressed submit button, the same annoying error pop up and reloads the turn.

After I lost all my orders I pressed the submit again to see if the error pop up. Of course this time the "Are you sure ?" window appeared.
But something strange happened and the "Yes" button was activated and the turn was commited.

I don't want to write what I felt in that moment. And I don't care if the "Yes" button was activated by my mouse, or keyboard or something else.

In this moment I stop play FS until you let us to submit our turn no matter what error the game has.
Gandalf8

Re: Again the annoying and infamous error after submit

Postby Gandalf8 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:36 pm

Hi wonderhero,

Again, after I spent 1 hour to set so many orders when I pressed submit button, the same annoying error pop up and reloads the turn.

I share the experience; I encountered it more than once by myself. Probably, the more orders you give, the higher the chance of triggering this bug.

In this moment I stop play FS until you let us to submit our turn no matter what error the game has.

I do fully understand your anger, but I think that this is the wrong demand. I am fairly sure that the game doesn't accept the turn in these situations because it is simply unable to read it. What good would it do if the server accepted a turn that it is unable to process correctly afterwards?

However, this bug (which it obviously is, so this thread should actually reside in the "Bugs" board) apparently was first encountered and reported more than three years ago, so the question is: Why is it still unfixed? There are probably still a lot of open issues in FS, but this one is certainly one of the most annoying and thus should be treated with priority. I know that some bugs can be really difficult to fix, but this mustn't take that long.

Dear mode7 team, are you even working on things like these any longer? Any progress on the matter would be highly appreciated.

CU, Gandalf8
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:37 am

Gandalf8 wrote:I am fairly sure that the game doesn't accept the turn in these situations because it is simply unable to read it.

My dear Gandalf, I don't think the game is unable to read my orders because it could read them in simulation. Also I'm very sure the server read them in the same way like client in simulation.
Before they introduce this annoying solution the game could read everything.
Gandalf8 wrote:What good would it do if the server accepted a turn that it is unable to process correctly afterwards?

I take my chances if the outcome will be different from simulation or if my unit will be stuck near a wall.

I will tell you a real story about FS's bug and glitch:

My friends wanted me to show them how is FS. So I wanted to load a favorite game but error: it was on other server. OK, I loaded another favorite game that I won. They wanted to see my opponent orders. I told them that you can't see the red units orders no matter if the match is completed. In last turn my units was all dead. My friends told me "you said you won this game". I said "I won it I swear it but..." :( Then I realized that the sniper was reworked so all games before this, that include any sniper, have a different outcome with different final result.
After a couple of days my friends asked my to show them how I set orders and what happen in outcome. So I started to give some more orders and I pressed submit button. Guess what ? "...error...sorry...the game will be reloaded".
They said "are you sure this is not a beta version ?". I said: "I bought this game long time ago".
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:02 pm

Alright, I'm very sorry about this and I need to work out a full time solution, but for now here is a temporary "solution".

When the error message comes up, do NOT press ok. Open the console with ` (or tilda) key, and type this:

doSubmitTurnStage15();

This will allow you to submit the turn.

However, the reason this isn't a proper solution (well, obviously), is that this can cause desyncs.

Ian
Gandalf8

Postby Gandalf8 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:08 pm

Hi wonderhero,

thanks for the entertaining story. :) I don't think you'll get the job in mode7's sales department any longer ... :lol:

When I wrote that
I am fairly sure that the game doesn't accept the turn in these situations because it is simply unable to read it.

I meant of course "read it properly", i.e. without any subsequent problems. Obviously, in these cases the server detects some error condition which it cannot fix automatically. Apparently, when it came to the decision whether to execute a turn's orders only partially or not at all, the developers opted for the latter.

wonderhero wrote:Before they introduce this annoying solution the game could read everything.

Interesting. :? Did you ever encounter situations before where what happened was different from your orders? If so, what were the differences?

wonderhero wrote:I take my chances if the outcome will be different from simulation or if my unit will be stuck near a wall.

With the temporary solution presented by Ian today, you now have this option. I would be interested to hear how it works. So if you feel like sharing your experience the next time the error pops up, please let me know.

CU, Gandalf8
Gandalf8

Postby Gandalf8 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:16 pm

Hi Ian,

thanks for the solution, even if it's only "temporary". If, after more than an hour's "work" with giving orders, you are presented with the "something has gone wrong" message, it's certainly nice to have another option than starting over from scratch. Could you be just a little more specific about what it means "that this can cause desyncs"? How will this affect the outcome?

CU, Gandalf8
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:06 am

Good option Ian, thank you.

As Gandalf8 asked, can you give us a little more details about desync ?

I remembered it happened to me twice, in outcome my opponent units positions was slightly different from those in my simulation before submit. Like a little delay/ahead of time: 0.1 - 0.2 sec.

If this is desync then we can afford to let this happen in most situations that are no demand an immediately react when 0.1 - 0.2 sec counts a lot. For sample: fighting from far away distance, repositions your units, prepare a defense etc.
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:04 am

Yeah - I'm genuinly sorry I didn't give you guys this workaround earlier. Was an unacceptable problem for you to have to deal with.

Wonderhero is basically right - this bug is that very occasionally during planning you somehow violate the "turn boundary" and cause the previous turn to change. We've had massive difficulties tracking it down.

Ian
Gandalf8

Postby Gandalf8 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:29 pm

Hi Ian,

sorry for the late reply; just returned from a week's vacation.

Omroth wrote:this bug is that very occasionally during planning you somehow violate the "turn boundary" and cause the previous turn to change.

Well, there was a time not too long ago when I ran into this bug every second or third "longer" turn, i.e. turns with long planning phases. Don't know how I triggered it, but I did. Probably it's related to the way I am giving resp. undoing my orders. Sometimes it looked like the program didn't like "backspacing" beyond the first order of a unit, which of course can happen very easily when the key's auto-repeat kicks in ...

Omroth wrote:We've had massive difficulties tracking it down.

If there's any way in which we might help, please let us know.

CU, Gandalf8
Space Voyager

Postby Space Voyager » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:19 pm

Gandalf, thank you for leading me to this discussion. Sorry for not finding it myself.

ANYway, will the developers correct this issue properly at some point?

Return to “General”