Frozen Synapse Legacy Tournament and Map Making Competition [Entry Closed]

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Aron0621

Re: Frozen Synapse Legacy Tournament and Map Making Competition

Postby Aron0621 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:12 pm

Toma wrote:Cool touch with the elevators. (I assume thats what they are? Right side of the screen?)

It was more like stair with warning signs someone placed prior to incursion... Hmm, Would it be better if I actually changed it to elavator shaft or something?
SoxxoxSmox

Postby SoxxoxSmox » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:27 am

Haha I know I said I wouldn't do another "themed" map but I really like how this one turned out.

It's called "Special Delivery," and while designed as an Extermination map, it could easily work as a defensive gamemode, like Hostage rescue.The idea is a shipping/loading area with some semi trucks and boxes scattered around. (The trucks look a bit odd in-game, but I think overall the visuals and balance of the map came out how I wanted.) One team is situated with a strong defensive position, while the other team might be given a rocket launcher or more troops, and has to breach the compound. The main building has 3 entrances, each with their own defensive quirks. However, there aren't many windows, leaving Defending team with very little control of the exterior. I see Offense with longer-ranged units, so they'd have a lot more control of the relatively exposed open area in the right/bottom half of the map.

Assuming team composition doesn't have to be equal, I see Offense being equipped with a rocket launcher, a shotgun, and a pair of machine guns, while defense might have a grenade, and maybe two shotguns and a machine gun? I'm not sure, in any case, it was a lot of fun to make!

Thoughts?

Here's the imgur link: http://i.imgur.com/As6TNmR.png

Edit: Fixed some pathfinding issues and made exterior walls a bit thicker.

Also, I realized that I accidentally swapped cover and walls on that last map, so here it is again, with the colors fixed and the grid removed. I playtested it too (Thanks for showing me how, Joa7000!) and although the walls are a bit on the thick side, it seems to play fine in terms of pathfinding. I see a team comp of 2 machine guns, 1 shotgun, and a grenade launcher on each time, set around the "dining table" as an interesting start position for this one.

Here's the link for Verona (Wall fix) http://i.imgur.com/HXKgVRw.png

@Aron I like the metro map! I can see lots of flanking happening since the map is so wide and horizontally oriented, so you don't end up with an annoying defensive stalemate. Very cool! :)

By the way, if anybody is interested, I am totally down for playtesting custom maps against each other. Could be lots of fun!
Magicdoer1

Postby Magicdoer1 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:30 pm

My entry:
http://i.imgur.com/bj31tEW.png

Real simple, lots of open areas, yellow boxes are starting points (but don't do the in-game red boxes that show up in Extermination sometimes).
Toma

Postby Toma » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:11 pm

Aron0621 wrote:
Toma wrote:Cool touch with the elevators. (I assume thats what they are? Right side of the screen?)

It was more like stair with warning signs someone placed prior to incursion... Hmm, Would it be better if I actually changed it to elavator shaft or something?

Nah, its fine. :)
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:00 pm

I made a thing.

Since the game doesn't load that quite correctly, I also have a full size PNG image. You can also load the map in .enc format without any units here.

I'd suggest using 1 grenadier, 1 sniper and 2 machineguns. Maybe a shotgun? At least a grenadier!
Toma

Postby Toma » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:29 pm

Neofelis wrote:I made a thing.

Since the game doesn't load that quite correctly, I also have a full size PNG image. You can also load the map in .enc format without any units here.

I'd suggest using 1 grenadier, 1 sniper and 2 machineguns. Maybe a shotgun? At least a grenadier!

Well, that sure is quite amazing. How long did that take you?
Neofelis

Postby Neofelis » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:30 pm

Toma wrote:Well, that sure is quite amazing. How long did that take you?

Thanks! Didn't pay too much attention, but probably something like four hours over two days while watching/listening to YouTube and television in the background. This was actually my first attempt at cross stitching, so the next one would be quicker.
Aron0621

Postby Aron0621 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:22 am

http://imgur.com/a/KOLsE
Mode7
Left vs Right

...Seems it's late by 4 hours, but I guess the entry's not closed yet...

[Edit] Actually I thought the entry closed yesterday before I saw the facebook. Timezone thing.
Last edited by Aron0621 on Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Toma

Postby Toma » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:57 am

Aron0621 wrote:http://imgur.com/a/KOLsE
Mode7
Left vs Right

...Seems it's late by 4 hours, but I guess the entry's not closed yet...

The entry is closed now, but maybe we'll sneak this one in. ;)
We'll prepare a vote for the chosen maps in the coming days.
SoxxoxSmox

Postby SoxxoxSmox » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:52 pm

Neofelis wrote:snip awesome cross-stitch thing

That is so awesome! What a neat idea :) And it's a sweet map design too
SoxxoxSmox

Re: Frozen Synapse Legacy Tournament and Map Making Competition [Entry Closed]

Postby SoxxoxSmox » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:01 pm

Has voting started yet? It's been a couple days and I'm starting to worry I might have missed it. When do sign-ups for the Tournament start?
Toma

Postby Toma » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:19 pm

SoxxoxSmox wrote:Has voting started yet? It's been a couple days and I'm starting to worry I might have missed it. When do sign-ups for the Tournament start?

The voting is planned start tomorrow and then go on for a week. It will be pushed together with the new FS2 trailer that will release tomorrow. :)

As Mode7 will need some time to incorporate the map design, we will use december for map creation and tourney sign ups and then hold the tournament after the holidays in January. I was contemplating trying to get it done before the holidays, but it was all pushing the scheduling a bit.
Toma

Postby Toma » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:47 am

Hey everyone, you can now vote on the maps here: http://www.goo.gl/sGD1SO
We'll keep the voting open until end of November.

Return to “General”