*Unofficial* Intro & Gameplay Hints For New Players

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Goateh

Re: *Unofficial* Intro & Gameplay Hints For New Players

Postby Goateh » Mon May 09, 2011 7:19 am

Shotguns have a much shorter time to kill their target compared to the rest, which makes them much more effective at close range. They have a very short range to go with that but once within range the shotgun will win most 1v1 situations, especially if they're aiming as they move around corners.
mizzu

Postby mizzu » Wed May 11, 2011 10:41 pm

In depth analysis of a dark secure game.
I suggest putting that in the OP.
SatanicDuckLord

Postby SatanicDuckLord » Thu May 12, 2011 8:16 pm

Quick question: can you update your game and still play with other players using a different version?
Hatge

Postby Hatge » Mon May 30, 2011 11:56 pm

In the gameplay-hints is a text-passage
"If you are unsure why you won/lost a firefight, select the unit in question and play the turn again. During playback, messages will be displayed next to the unit, explaining why it on/lost."

Is this still in?
I can't find it.

@ wonderboy:
Hi. What's your ingame nickname?
Goateh

Postby Goateh » Tue May 31, 2011 7:01 am

Hatge wrote:In the gameplay-hints is a text-passage
"If you are unsure why you won/lost a firefight, select the unit in question and play the turn again. During playback, messages will be displayed next to the unit, explaining why it on/lost."

Is this still in?
I can't find it.

It seems to have vanished in one of the recent updates. It may be coming back but for now they're gone.
SowZ

Postby SowZ » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:00 pm

So, if one unit has advantages over another is there still a chance that the disadvantaged unit will win, (even a small one?) I guess I am asking if there is 'rolling' involved. Also, what are the odds of a unit who is running for cover, not stopping to shoot, and being shot at while he runs to make it to his cover without dying?
Goateh

Postby Goateh » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:10 pm

SowZ wrote:So, if one unit has advantages over another is there still a chance that the disadvantaged unit will win, (even a small one?) I guess I am asking if there is 'rolling' involved. Also, what are the odds of a unit who is running for cover, not stopping to shoot, and being shot at while he runs to make it to his cover without dying?

There is no luck except in the case where every other modifier is entirely equal.
mindcontrol

Postby mindcontrol » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:20 pm

Also, what are the odds of a unit who is running for cover, not stopping to shoot, and being shot at while he runs to make it to his cover without dying?

Instead of odds, think about it in terms of how long your unit will be exposed while moving to cover. Two things, in addition to cover and aiming, which will increase an enemy's time to kill are tracking and range. This is regarding MGs only, as SGs will pretty much kill instantly, if within range, and they have very little tracking delay.

Range delay is obvious, and can be observed in the amount of time a unit continues firing before they make the kill. Pretty much seems to increase linearly with distance.

Tracking delay can be thought of in terms of the degree to which the target's movement is perpendicular to the shooter's weapon. It can be observed by watching the weapon movement and differentiated from range delay because it occurs before the unit begins shooting, as opposed to the range delay which seems to be added during fire. However, it should not be mistaken with view snap, in that if a unit enters another unit's view cone, the initial centering of the view cone is instantaneous. A good example of tracking delay is the half or more of window width a unit can cross, before an enemy MG who is aiming out from just inside the window will be able to kill them, if the unit is moving along the wall angle. You can easily see the tracking delay if you watch that type of situation.

Hope that helps. It's kind of hard to explain, but will become obvious once you observe it.
everything tastes better with mindcontrol
SowZ

Postby SowZ » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:37 pm

Goateh wrote:
SowZ wrote:So, if one unit has advantages over another is there still a chance that the disadvantaged unit will win, (even a small one?) I guess I am asking if there is 'rolling' involved. Also, what are the odds of a unit who is running for cover, not stopping to shoot, and being shot at while he runs to make it to his cover without dying?

There is no luck except in the case where every other modifier is entirely equal.

Okay, cool. Thanks.

mindcontrol wrote:
Also, what are the odds of a unit who is running for cover, not stopping to shoot, and being shot at while he runs to make it to his cover without dying?

Instead of odds, think about it in terms of how long your unit will be exposed while moving to cover. Two things, in addition to cover and aiming, which will increase an enemy's time to kill are tracking and range. This is regarding MGs only, as SGs will pretty much kill instantly, if within range, and they have very little tracking delay.

Range delay is obvious, and can be observed in the amount of time a unit continues firing before they make the kill. Pretty much seems to increase linearly with distance.

Tracking delay can be thought of in terms of the degree to which the target's movement is perpendicular to the shooter's weapon. It can be observed by watching the weapon movement and differentiated from range delay because it occurs before the unit begins shooting, as opposed to the range delay which seems to be added during fire. However, it should not be mistaken with view snap, in that if a unit enters another unit's view cone, the initial centering of the view cone is instantaneous. A good example of tracking delay is the half or more of window width a unit can cross, before an enemy MG who is aiming out from just inside the window will be able to kill them, if the unit is moving along the wall angle. You can easily see the tracking delay if you watch that type of situation.

Hope that helps. It's kind of hard to explain, but will become obvious once you observe it.

That makes decent sense, thanks. I'm sure I will understand it better when I play.
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:49 am

mindcontrol wrote:Tracking delay can be thought of in terms of the degree to which the target's movement is perpendicular to the shooter's weapon.

BTW will be very nice if this "degree" will influence the reaction time of opportunity fire = interval between time of spotted enemy unit and start firing. If is perpendicular will be no penalty.
ColtRivers

Postby ColtRivers » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:00 pm

this game is just awesome. i have figured the basics so far and am immensely enjoying it. what i don't really have figured out though is how 'focus on enemy' exactly works. of course i know it does what it says, but how exactly does it work? is it that when two enemies are in sight that all it does basically is shoot the focused one first and then the other. what is when there is no other enemy unit in sight? is it pointless to activate this order? like is there some advantage if i would always activate this order to the enemy unit i want to shoot. will it 'lock in' to this unit faster or not? is there something important i'm missing out on?
Goateh

Postby Goateh » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:31 pm

Setting focus on one unit is the same as setting ignore on all of the other units. Your unit will only engage units that are focused (even if they die mid turn) and won't engage anyone else. It won't give you any kind of extra bonus in combat, it only determines who your unit will attack in the first place.
KarmaBrony

Postby KarmaBrony » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks for the guide! This really helped, I'm looking forward to watching my games to get more information!

The hotkeys/combat priorities sections helped a lot, for sure.
X-Tender

Postby X-Tender » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:32 am

Hi,

I got a Question. In the startpost is that written

"If you are unsure why you won/lost a firefight, select the unit in question
and play the turn again. During playback, messages will be displayed next
to the unit, explaining why it won/lost."

How do I activate it? When I select a Unit and Play a Turn again I cant see any Text.
icebrain

Postby icebrain » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:32 am

X-Tender wrote:How do I activate it? When I select a Unit and Play a Turn again I cant see any Text.

See thread Combat bonuses visible in replays?

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News

Return to “General”