*Unofficial* Intro & Gameplay Hints For New Players

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Omroth
Site Admin

Re: *Unofficial* Intro & Gameplay Hints For New Players

Postby Omroth » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:19 pm

Wonderhero - you can setup custom games with any unit layout.

Most levels have you with the same units as your opponent.
mizzu

Postby mizzu » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:10 pm

wonderhero wrote:I see your points.
Anyway after I watched a good FS movie I realized I can calculate unit speed, reaction time and the most importing thing: THE TIME it will take for a enemy unit to reach a specific place.

Calculate? With numbers and operations? I never heard this is possible in FS.
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:18 pm

Let say you want to know the time it will take for a opponent unit (machine gunner) to reach from point A to point B.
Of course is available only for a simple moving order (not include aim, fire, wait)

You need a unit, let say your shot gunner.

shot gunner unit speed = Vs
machine gunner unit speed = Vm

First you need to know the constant rate Vs / Vm. For this do the follow test:
Set the shot gunner cover ground a distance (no mater how long it is), from point P1 to P2 and watch the timer to find out the time Ts. So D = Vs x Ts
Do the same thing with machine gunner on the same distance => D = Vm x Tm
(You can repeat the calculation to get a approximated time)
Final you know the constant Vs / Vm = Tm / Ts = Ksm

Back to our problem, we have two situations:
1. If your shot gunner can reach the opponent unit (machine gunner) in actual turn:
Make the simulation from A to B and find out the time Tsx. So the time for opponent unit will be Tmx = Tsx x Ksm

2. You can't reach the opponent unit. In this case you have to simulate the same distance from A to B but starting from your shot gunner position (like a translation) using steps count or a ruler. Final you find out time Tsx and than Tmx.

I used a lot this calculation in LSN game successfully.
Of course in LSN it's easy because you can see the time for each waypoint.
xgreen

Postby xgreen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:30 am

Boy must I be simple minded to enjoy this game.. :roll:
mizzu

Postby mizzu » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:20 pm

And why should I bother with all that math if I can simply test any possible situation in, like 3 seconds to see what I can and can't do?
Also FS doesnt use preset coordinates like LSN probably does (or doesn't it? I don't actually know it), so trying to calculate the time in miliseconds and stuff seems kinda pointless to me since the enemy will never ever go to excactly that point you calculated.

IMO Frozen synapse relies way more on the psychological aspects of tactic. When you have found out what the enemy is going to do, you've already done the biggest part, and finding the correct "answer" (=the moves that kill all of his units :o ) isn't that much of a deal.
limavictor426

Postby limavictor426 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:15 am

I was a long term lsn player and I dont think it's valid to compare LSN to Frozen Synaspe as they are very different games....not to mention the fact that LSN no longer exists. My advice would be to give FZ a try and see if you like it :D
Last edited by limavictor426 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Good play inspires luck,bad players moan about it"
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:16 am

And why should I bother with all that math if I can simply test any possible situation in, like 3 seconds to see what I can and can't do?

You can test like this if your unit type is the same like opponent unit type. Else you need the constant rate. :wink:

Yes, FS doesn't use preset coordinates like LSN unfortunately, that why I said the LSN is incomparable.

since the enemy will never ever go to exactly that point you calculated.

Never say "never". But it's nice and funny to prevent some elementary moves of your opponent. These steps makes your opponent to think well before his orders submit.

IMO Frozen synapse relies way more on the psychological aspects of tactic.

I wish you are right. Psychological aspects of tactic are deep and you never boring...

Also I don't see the range of weapon cause I saw that some weapons has maximum range of fire :( This is another element of luck.

Tonight I will buy the game for his good soundtrack that attracted my attention :)
limavictor426

Postby limavictor426 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:19 am

limavictor426 wrote:I was a long term lsn player and I dont think it's valid to compare LSN to Frozen Synaspe as they are very different games....not to mention the fact that LSN no longer exists. My advice would be to give FS a try and see if you like it :D
limavictor426

Postby limavictor426 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:21 am

limavictor426 wrote:
limavictor426 wrote:I was a long term lsn player and I dont think it's valid to compare LSN to Frozen Synaspe as they are very different games....not to mention the fact that LSN no longer exists. My advice would be to give FS a try and see if you like it :D

Glad you are going to try it dude :D Send me a challenge.
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Of course I will challenge you but first I'll make some test to see how it works :)

I love the soundtrack album. It worth the money!

Are there any other nice albums with the same style like this ?
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:44 pm

You have right people, after I played some missions I realized that this game it's different and is very good strategy game.
mizzu

Postby mizzu » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:56 pm

I have to ask a question about something that happened to me a few times: When I'm between two turns and two MGs are attacking each other, and my (or the enemies) unit shoots a shot which is going to hit 100 percently and then the turn ends before the bullet arrives at it's target, are there any possibilities that the unit can dodge it by walking a bit or by ducking? Is there some kind of built-in mechanism for that case?
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:38 pm

I'm afraid not mizzu - that bullet will hit its mark. I know that's not ideal.
mizzu

Postby mizzu » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:09 pm

That's the way it should be IMO. Nobody can dodge bullets, this isn't the matrix here :D
Mysteri0

Postby Mysteri0 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:03 am

So can some one explain to me how this happens..

I have a machine gunner he's probably just under medium distance. He's ducked and then become still for an entire round, aiming at a door way. On the next round while still being still and aiming at the door a shotgunner comes around the corner through the door and kills my still machine gunner who's aiming and hasn't moved... How exactly does that work?

Return to “General”