*Unofficial* Intro & Gameplay Hints For New Players

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Sir Demon

Re: *Unofficial* Intro & Gameplay Hints For New Players

Postby Sir Demon » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:48 pm

Goateh wrote:There is no luck except in the case where every other modifier is entirely equal.

Can someone confirm this? I've had a situation where two shotguns ran into each other, one of them aimed at the direction where the other was coming from while the other one did not aim. The dude who didn't aim won the firefight. So both units were moving, neither of them had cover and they had not changed stance from or to ducking position. The only modifier was the aiming (which matters the least) and the shotugn who was at disadvantage won.

This is at least how I recall the situation. Is my memory completely corrupted or is there indeed a small chance for the disadvantaged fighter to win?
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
-George Bernard Shaw
mizzu

Postby mizzu » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:36 pm

Sir Demon wrote:
Goateh wrote:There is no luck except in the case where every other modifier is entirely equal.

Can someone confirm this? I've had a situation where two shotguns ran into each other, one of them aimed at the direction where the other was coming from while the other one did not aim. The dude who didn't aim won the firefight. So both units were moving, neither of them had cover and they had not changed stance from or to ducking position. The only modifier was the aiming (which matters the least) and the shotugn who was at disadvantage won.

This is at least how I recall the situation. Is my memory completely corrupted or is there indeed a small chance for the disadvantaged fighter to win?

I managed to get something similar between two moving Machine Guns once (only in the simulation though). After more testing I found out that an AIM order must be given like 0.5 (or less, I don't really remember) seconds before visual (in said situation, one MG was moving around a corner) to be effective.
Cindex

Postby Cindex » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:59 pm

What is the significance of the MP experience levels? How many games or points are required to get to the next?
Mgz

Postby Mgz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Hi guys!
In this topic i've read that restarting the round i can find why a unit has lost a firefight. I've tried but i didnt find this option.. could be coz i'm playing the demo version of the game?
thanks.
Ornithopter

Postby Ornithopter » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:39 pm

Sadly, this appears to have been a feature that was removed during the beta.
Mgz

Postby Mgz » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:25 am

Excuse me but i've another couple of doubts...

1- does the position of the enemy, in the middle of range of sight, help to have a faster shooting than if the enemy is not exactly in the center of my view?
2- sometimes my soldiers have to shoot many times before hit the enemy, is that normal?
3- does the duck position helps to improve precision and to shoot faster than the enemy?
thanks for the support and happy new year everybody!!
icebrain

Postby icebrain » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:49 am

1- No
2- Yes
3- No except for the sniper rifle

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News

ComboBreaker

Postby ComboBreaker » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:56 pm

Sniper shoots faster when ducked?Is it enough to make him viable in mid fight against MG?

I've searched on web and saw somebody discussing "unit behaviour".Im not sure what how old the discussion was - someone mentioned "blue" behaviour when your unit retreats if it sees enemy.Cant find it now.
Is it from beta playtesting and it was removed later,or it is another feature not mentioned in tutorial?
Or am I seeing things...
montyjj

Postby montyjj » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:57 pm

some observation i made about the encounters of two enemies under the same circumstances: i tried to change their actual plan that they'd have finished if it weren't for the encounter. and what happened? it was always the one with "longer" plan who lost the fire fight. it could be just a coincidence, but if not, i'd like such a rule. it motivates you to be "humble" with those ultraperfectionistic plans of yours, and it makes more sense than just a simple roll..
TrogdorJoshLein

Postby TrogdorJoshLein » Thu May 24, 2012 11:30 am

if this thread is for gameplay hints and tips i have a few that i would think obvious but i see ignored constantly.

1. dont fire a missile or nade if it will be in air at turn end. i can see it no matter if its in LOS or not and can easily plan to avoid it.
2. rockets are just as important in cover removal as they are in killing enemies. Use the rocket to open new, unexpected paths or destroy cover obstructing another units view. I fire on walls near me 30% of time and to kill enemies only 70%. hold shift when placing a waypoint to have the path ignore cover. with this you can destroy and move through a wall in the same turn.
3. the decoy pop out is a move that will win you many games. have one unit on "continue on sight" pop out and stay there till just before he dies and then have him run away. have another unit pop out mere milliseconds after the first pops out and you can easily kill a stationary, behind cover enemy as he wastes his time aiming and firing at the decoy. Of course if you are playing a skilled opponent this can be dangerous.
4. I'm pretty sure that aiming while stationary makes no difference other then forcing the unit to snap back to his original spot after tracking or killing a target. A unit stationary and not aiming will not snap back and will be aiming in a guaranteed better direction as he stops moving and stays aimed at the last seen position of his enemy. I will edit this with an example video soon.
5. knowledge of your enemies whereabouts is vital to victory, you dont want to round a corner at 2 sec with a shotty only to spot and MG in the distance that will kill you. as such I personally prefer to pop out at the last possible time in the 5 seconds in order to have the next turn to run from any consequent encounter i know i'll lose.
6. if you are winning with 2 units over 1 unit I will group the 2 units together if there is no explosive unit and check corners and areas with the 2 of them in unison in order to ensure victory. this is only if you know they are a camping poopypants.
7. While intricate planning is vital against skilled opponents, you sometimes need to simplify your plan. if it gets incredibly clustered simply start over and start again.
8. test every possible option your enemy could do and make sure it can't hit you. I know some will say "this is to restrictive, plan for only what you think they'll do" this is dumb if the game is tied or you are winning. if you are losing be aggressive but if you have the more units plan for everything.
9. with explosives dont fire at where you see an enemy at turn start. shoot where you think they will be. also detonation in doorways will hit both rooms.
10. if your enemy only has missile units left, move to an open area with no cover to hit and you cant be killed.
11. FINISH GAMES EVEN IF YOU ARE LOSING!!!!! have some honor.
12. my in game name is TrogdorJoshLein and I'm friendly.
thomasusa80

Postby thomasusa80 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:18 am

Much obliged concerning the elucidation. A wiki-sort documentation would be pleasant. I would help.

_______Edwordstephen_______
Get the latest C4040-122 braindumps exam questions and Kean University dumps answers to practice and pass your ISEB fin 1st try guaranteed.
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:12 pm

TrogdorJoshLein it seams that you are ready for a top position :)

TrogdorJoshLein wrote:4. A unit stationary and not aiming will not snap back and will be aiming in a guaranteed better direction as he stops moving and stays aimed at the last seen position of his enemy.

Nope, unfortunately there is no better direction in this game. Devs didn't want to implement it. IMO it would be a nice add for strategy. But they want to keep the game simple, not complicated.
So doesn't matter the "snap back", there is no penalty for such thing. The aim is only for giving a direction to unit. But it's true if you don't give an aim order he can change his direction. But I don't see how this could help my strategy.

Also if 2 opposite bots are moving and facing in the same time, the game will chose a winner randomly unfortunately. The winner should be the one who has a better orientation (direction).

In other words should be a penalty time for turning around and it should scale with the degree of orientation angle.

Return to “General”