[Suggestion] Grenades

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

The_B

[Suggestion] Grenades

Post by The_B » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:57 am

Really loving the game so far, just a quick thing really though that's been bugging me. Grenades. Agreed, they are very powerful, and yet they can't take out structures, which I think is really good balancing wise. My only problem with them is that they can't go over low walls while the rockets can. What I propose is that to kind of emulate the arc of a grenade being thrown or shot from the launcher, is that a grenade can go over low walls, but only if you're close. The further away you are, the less likely the grenade is to clear the low wall. I think this would add a good layer of extra strategy to the grenade launcher, as you have to risk the inherent dangers of getting closer to the wall to throw one over.

Anyone agree/disagree?
Darloth

Re: [Suggestion] Grenades

Post by Darloth » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 am

Grenades -can- go over low obstacles. I can't remember testing it specifically with the walls, but certain throws/shots will certainly pass through the other obstacle things. I can't see why this wouldn't apply to the walls as well - maybe you're just standing too close?
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:30 am

They can go over cover. Best method I found is to aim a lot further than you usually would. The dotted aim line should then show the grenade going over the cover instead of only bouncing of it.
Logo

Post by Logo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:21 pm

My understanding is this:
The grenade has 2 lines, or well two parts to the line. The first is a pure white line that's the grenade in the air. The second is a grey line indicating the grenade is rolling along the ground.
Simulate: the answer to all of your problems.
mellowninja

Post by mellowninja » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:30 pm

Ah. Thanks for the tips.

I was thinking they couldn't be thrown over low walls since the graphic shows the grenade to bounce off the lower wall even if you're aiming past it while standing close. Since the graphic shows a ricochet off the wall, I didn't attempt the throw.

Maybe the aiming graphic should be updated?
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:50 pm

I think maybe adding a simple up or down indication to the grenade aim would be better. You could then choose whether you want to bounce off low walls or throw over low walls. Reduce the messy aiming of grenades not doing what you want.
TheBeefiest

Post by TheBeefiest » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:50 am

The game models grenade arc quite well actually, you have to be within a certain closeness to the wall to be able to lob it over, and if it shows you a bounce then you need to shoot farther, eventually it will show the real shot heading right over the wall. No tricks, it shows you exactly what the grenade will do.

Second there is a (bug?) way that if you are crouched right next to a desk/table/whatever it is you can lob over it.
JeP

Post by JeP » Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:09 am

For the grenade, often if your not too close to the lower wall,
and try to throw your grenade farther and farther away to lob it,
at first it will show a bounce, then it will appears that the grenade
disappeared on the wall (grenade path show no bounce nor passing
over), and that's where you can lob it. But I think there's a bug here
cause the path should show correctly, going over the wall.