Wishlist thread

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Omroth
Site Admin

Wishlist thread

Postby Omroth » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:40 am

Hey guys, as suggested by Cyrai here is a sticky thread for posting wishlists.

Ian
blenderer

Re: Wishlist thread

Postby blenderer » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:19 am

I don't want to ask for much from you guys because you have already given me a great game. But here is one suggestion.
I really love how everything in this game is not just contained.
As an example, the chat function of the game is actually IRC, which could make for great expansion.

One thing I have loved from other games is an armory type site.
Examples:
http://www.wowarmory.com/
http://www.battlefieldheroes.com/heroes/239047861
"We forgot to add a quit button."
-Mode 7's first step at brainwashing us
JeP

Postby JeP » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:55 am

I don't really see the point of an armoury when
all there is to the background is one teasing IA
and 5 different soldier class... ?

Here's a quick recap of all the propositions I've made among the forum :
UI : one button or function dedicated to seeking a game
UI : friends system
UI : matchmaking more about players' skills, and rewards too
UI : chat ingame
Gameplay : a "timed" mode, for faster games
Gameplay : simultaneous kills (does not comes from me, be it's a good idea)
Gameplay : units (machine gunner and sniper principally) should anticipate more on target moving in the same direction for a moment
Gameplay : being able to jump through a window could be good : dangerous yet sometimes really better to escape a situation
Gameplay : I've seen in some earlier videos of the game that you had one small cone to see the aiming zone of a unit, why have you taken it out ? I sometimes have some problem to know at what angle of his sight my soldier can aim.

That all... for now ^^
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:47 am

Hi Jep, I'm surprised by two of your list:

The "Instant Game" button or the traffic light controls... what do they not do that you would like?

Gameplay : I've seen in some earlier videos of the game that you had one small cone to see the aiming zone of a unit, why have you taken it out ? I sometimes have some problem to know at what angle of his sight my soldier can aim.

This is still in, it's just a little less pronounced - if you really can't see the view-cone for your units, could you send me a screenshot of a selected unit? It might be a rendering problem.

Thanks,
Ian
Jayhawk

Postby Jayhawk » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:51 am

When I view a match replay, I want to be able to double-click on a player's name on the upper right corner in the box. It would then take you to their player page with a minimum of fuss.
VGrossman

Postby VGrossman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:50 am

Good game m8,i got 2 wishes.

Short term one:Shoot while moving would be super(reduced to hit chance)

{now that i think of it Do we have better chance to hit while crouched?}

Long term one:We will be able to mod weapon(to simulate varius weapons?) data or
players data?(experience of soldiers)<----------(Smells like progression to campaign from rookie to ace!LOL)

Keep up the good work m8s!
Plum

Postby Plum » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:05 pm

Sorry if this already exists in the game somewhere or has been raised before, I've only got half a dozen games under my belt :)

It would be nice to have a mirror rematch option which flips the teams but gives the same starting configuration. When I chat about our games with my friend, there's always an element of "Well if I had your start..." or "I'd like to see you win against those odds...".

In fact now that I think about it, an extension of that would be to allow a completed game to be used as a start point for a new game. Since the game state is known for each and every turn, why not allow any of those game states to be used as the start of a new game. For example, my friend and I want to replay our own completed game, picking turn 1 as the start point but with me playing as her team and she playing as mine.

Or, let's say that I set up a terrific defense that she had failed to break. After the game we could then start a new one from say turn 4, with us playing our own teams, so that she could have another try. Then we could start another game from the same point with me playing as her team and trying to break the defense that I'd previously set up.

Or perhaps the RNG has thrown up an incredibly interesting map and teams that we think other players would enjoy trying - you could build up a little compendium of favourite scenarios or set-pieces that other players can try out just by knowing the game number.

Again, really sorry if the game already has this - I'm very much a newb :)

EDIT: Oh, I totally forgot - brilliant game! You guys have done a great job :)
Lu-Tze

Postby Lu-Tze » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:22 pm

• [Balance] Sniper should be far far better when stationary and aiming, with a much faster shot time. Same or weaker as current when not in this state.
  • [Gamemode] "Assassination". Move a hostage from one map edge to another, hostage can have route changed on each turn like a regular unit.
  • [Gamemode] With the exception of Secure, games can be marked "Both ways" with Teams swapping after the End Result, and the final score being the difference between the two rounds. This is especially the case when rescuing Hostages.
  • [Controls] Optional absolute wait times.
  • [Controls] A better way of checking what shots are possible... the 'V' aiming device is nice, but if it showed large coloured blocks of what is and isn't visible, and where I can and can't see people who are ducking, that would be ideal. Certainly when playing back previous turns this would be rather useful at determining the potential paths of enemy units.
  • [Controls] Be able to simulate past the next turn end. Sometimes it's useful to work out exactly what will happen when grenades and rockets explode, or plan for the future.
  • [Controls] "Dummy" units, to allow you to mock up certain scenarios. Especially in Light games, it's hard to do things like, for example, check if your Machine Gunner can bring a guy down as he moves from one piece of cover to another if you can't move the enemy unit there.
  • [UI] Friends list, with Online/Offline indicator.
  • [UI] In game chat. (Not the live IRC, I am missing the social conventions of being able to say "Good luck have fun!" "Nice shot" "Unlucky" and finally "Good game" when playing against someone). Even if it was just a single message attached to the submitted game turn, it would be something.
  • [UI] No means no. Red = No Pop-Ups, Orange = How Red currently works, Green = Go Go Go. Change default state to Orange.
  • [UI] Less information on the News page. Having every single thing there makes it spammy and pointless. Interesting things are stuff like one of the Top 10 Streaks getting broken, not the fact that a couple of people have started a game. It uses up a lot of screen real estate for something I don't care about.
  • [System] Faster timeouts on log-ins. With the game crashing as it does right now, it's annoying to then have to wait 10 minutes for it to let you log back in because "That player is already logged in".

Most of the Controls ideas may be design decisions on your part to specifically not include them, particularly showing better viewcones, and they all add significant tools for the player to improve their turns. Giving people those extra tools leans towards them spending longer setting up each turn, which may end up being less fun, and balances the game towards people who have more time to spend on it. With the exception of the absolute waiting, I can't promote them wholeheartedly, and they might be terrible in practice :D
JeP

Postby JeP » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:07 pm

Omroth wrote:Hi Jep, I'm surprised by two of your list:

I didn't wanted to explain it again, just wanted to notify it. This is something I was talking
at the end of this thread : viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1730, about the 4 colours button.

Omroth wrote:Gameplay : I've seen in some earlier videos of the game that you had one small cone to see the aiming zone of a unit, why have you taken it out ? I sometimes have some problem to know at what angle of his sight my soldier can aim.

This is still in, it's just a little less pronounced - if you really can't see the view-cone for your units, could you send me a screenshot of a selected unit? It might be a rendering problem.
This is what I see (excuse the mess, but the red guy deserved it) :

Oh, and one more suggestion : I think, instead it is on purpose, it could be good to link the forum
on the game's page. I've lost some time to find it, luckily a friend of mine got me to it, but
that could help having more feedback.
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:22 pm

Hey JeP.

I see the viewcone in that screenshot - I think I must be misunderstanding you.

Ian
JeP

Postby JeP » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:32 pm

Oh ok, I was talking about the secondary, smaller cone in
previous versions of the game, like in this trailer : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lQQt4qc79Q
I don't know if I'm guessing right, but it seems to represent
the actual "aiming zone" of a soldier, and not only the "seeing zone",
and I think it would be helpful.

But I must admit... now that I've understood that each enemy is usable
to test scenarios, this becomes less of a problem, and I think Lu-Tze
(who have copied a good number of my propositions by the way ^^)
have missed that, cause it's reaaally helpful (and well thought, again).
Even the grey ones are movable to test it right.

Now, a re-match proposition sounds good, or perhaps a "better out of
three random games", to have play longer against each other.
Minifig

Postby Minifig » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:38 pm

Lu-Tze wrote:[list]
[*] [UI] In game chat. (Not the live IRC, I am missing the social conventions of being able to say "Good luck have fun!" "Nice shot" "Unlucky" and finally "Good game" when playing against someone). Even if it was just a single message attached to the submitted game turn, it would be something.

Came in here to say sort of the same thing, specifically I'd like the ability to give units a "speak" order that causes them to pop up a speech bubble with the (short) text I entered.

It is really frivolous, but I like the idea of my gunner popping round the corner, shouting "Surprise!" and blowing someone away :)

Ideally you'd be able to give speak orders to downed units as well, for post mortem congratulations: "'tis only a flesh wound".

Two possible ways to deal with speech in dark games, either speaking give away your unit's position, or not, the former is more realistic, but discourages the social interaction, The later obviously is the inverse.

Cheers
Minifig.
JeP

Postby JeP » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:45 pm

Oh, I knew I had something else in mind (yes, this game really keep me thinking :P),
We really need some way of delete middle waypoints : We can delete all the order,
like "shoot on sight" and "duck" whenever they are, at the beginning, at the end, in
the middle, but it's not possible for the way point, and sometimes just to add or take away
one waypoint in the middle of the plan, we have to go back and recreate it all.

One "ctrl-z" option could be good to, for misplaced click that delete an order by
accident. If possible, of course. But this is less crucial to me than the previous proposition.
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Minifig I absolutely LOVE that idea. I'm definitely putting that in. A "speech" order placeable like any other order. Awesome.
AnakinOU

Postby AnakinOU » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:55 pm

How about a server exe?

Return to “General”