Wishlist thread

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

EmmaWatsonsBF

Re: Wishlist thread

Postby EmmaWatsonsBF » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:19 am

Hi, all. I'm loving this game. I've got some ideas, a few of which people have already said, and some which may have been implemented (but the Steam version is not the most current? I'm not up to speed regarding that).

All my ideas keep the core gameplay intact and simplicity in mind (though my balance suggestions are debatable). I'll try to list them first in order of things I think people have already suggested, then by importance to me.

What happened to the Speech command? That idea was hilarious!

A better way to decline a match. If I challenge someone who's online, I could spend 10 minutes planning a turn, while he has no intention of playing at all.

Forced forfeit after a while (I like 2 weeks, as some have said). I'm guilty of exploiting this. If I know I'm going to lose, I have no incentive to take another turn.

View replay from player's POV.

Ability to save plans. I could spend 5 minutes making a plan for a unit, anticipating the enemy will zig. Now I want to see what happens when he zags. Unfortunately, I may have to delete my whole "zig" plan to prepare this one.

Optional Line of Sight Indicator. Yes I know about 'v' and it's very useful. I can picture something even better though. Within the unit's vision "cone," color all visible area with a green highlight. Within this area, checker all areas where a ducking enemy would not be visible. commathe suggested this already, and explained it well. It's like a light comes out of your unit.

Timed games. (I see another thread proposing this. I'll be sure to drop in).

------

Need shortcut to select enemy units. I suggest Ctl+#

Option to snap camera to selected unit.

Must be able to preview zones as I'm drawing them (is this what the hotfix in another thread addresses?).

Engagement Range Indicator

Balance: Nerf MG's engagement range.

Balance: Buff Sniper aim time.

Balance: When it's down to 1v1 MGs or SGs, there needs to be some mechanic better than camping. As is, neither player has incentive to seek out the other, because the stationary, aiming (camping) unit will always win (with good cover).

Balance: Give Rocket Launcher something to counter guns. In certain situations, depending on the game mode, an enemy only has to stay in the open and wait. If you gave the Rocket Launcher a knife, then at least he could pose a threat. Or let him shoot into the ground. Or, as scooger suggested, add indestructible walls.

Balance: Options with the grenade launcher are limited, since the grenade takes nearly a full turn in air time. If you don't launch at the start of a turn, the enemy will almost always be able to escape at the beginning of the next turn. If you are not in a good position with the GL at the start of the turn, you have to wait a whole other turn to use him. If the air time varied depending on the distance you're shooting it, or if you could just control the fuse time, I think it would be improvement.

-----

Not complaining! Just found the right place to voice my daydreams for this awesome game.
jhawk

Postby jhawk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:41 am

EmmaWatsonsBF wrote:Balance: Give Rocket Launcher something to counter guns. In certain situations, depending on the game mode, an enemy only has to stay in the open and wait. If you gave the Rocket Launcher a knife, then at least he could pose a threat. Or let him shoot into the ground. Or, as scooger suggested, add indestructible walls.
I just had an idea reading this. Give the RL a second type of attack which would just be another "aim" order in the interface (but the two should be distinguishably named), which is still a rocket, but a less explosive one, that has a reduced radius and doesn't destroy walls or cover. It would probably still be limited to 1 per turn, either per attack type, or for both. In my opinion that would be a more elegant solution than knives—because it doesn't change the role of the RL—and arbitrarily placed indestructible walls. Also, knives might be implemented some time in the future for hostage-taking or a new unit type.

EmmaWatsonsBF wrote:Balance: When it's down to 1v1 MGs or SGs, there needs to be some mechanic better than camping. As is, neither player has incentive to seek out the other, because the stationary, aiming (camping) unit will always win (with good cover).
The "focus aim" mutator in the upcoming DLC addresses this issue I think.

I agree with pretty much all your other suggestions (I'm not sure about the GL balance suggestion), especially keyboard shortcuts to select enemy units (and more keyboard shortcuts in general, especially reliable shortcuts to control the playback of simulations and replays). The LOS-checking improvement is something I've also suggested recently. It would be similar to the lighting effects in appearance, like in this tech demo: http://www.moddb.com/games/frozen-synap ... -tech-demo, and as a bonus, for dark game modes, it would highlight enemy units whenever they become visible. Maybe that last part could be achieved by just giving us an option to play simulations without revealing ghosts (even though we can see them when planning and we know their orders). It would allow us to easily test whether our units would be able to see the enemy units if they were to take a particular route, and we could optimize our plans to get more intel for as many scenarios as possible.

Similarly, it would be nice if we could test LOS on enemy units (all the while a simulation or replay is playing back), so we could optimize our plans to deny intel to our opponent or know what intel they have from the last turn.

I rarely get to play with Snipers since I play dark extermination exclusively, but from the few times that I have, I have to agree that the long aim time seems to negate the long range a little bit too heavily, and that the MG's range is not distinguished enough from the Sniper's. It should be slightly shorter, so it's more in the middle between SG and Sniper.

I don't know what you mean with the "Speech command".
Space Voyager

Postby Space Voyager » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:48 pm

I'd love an option to set a "range of engagement". I've had soldiers going through a building and through it he saw an enemy far away, behind a cover. The result is known...

Range of engagement would be a better option than ignoring as it needs no specific target set, only how far would one want to shoot at all.
EmmaWatsonsBF

Postby EmmaWatsonsBF » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:06 pm

Space Voyager, you can use Continue on Sight or Ignore Zone to do what you described.

jhawk, on the first few pages of this thread, somebody had suggested a "Speech" command, where your unit would just create a little speech bubble like "Surprise!" He said it was great and would implement it.
Space Voyager

Postby Space Voyager » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:56 pm

EmmaWatsonsBF wrote:Space Voyager, you can use Continue on Sight or Ignore Zone to do what you described.

I can not. Continue on sight makes a soldier ignore all targets, not just the ones far away...
Scorpion0x17

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:17 pm

Space Voyager wrote:
EmmaWatsonsBF wrote:Space Voyager, you can use Continue on Sight or Ignore Zone to do what you described.

I can not. Continue on sight makes a soldier ignore all targets, not just the ones far away...

Which is where Ignore Zone comes into it.

(you can set zone(s) over the far away target(s), and give your unit(s) order(s) to ignore anything in that/those zone(s))
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
Space Voyager

Postby Space Voyager » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:36 am

Scorpion0x17 wrote:Which is where Ignore Zone comes into it.

(you can set zone(s) over the far away target(s), and give your unit(s) order(s) to ignore anything in that/those zone(s))

:shock: I CAN?! Damn, how do I win a single battle, I don't know half of the game! Thank you.
redl

Postby redl » Fri May 11, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi !!

I'd love to have "revanche" : replace exactly the same game, on the same map, agains the same player, but opposite starting positions.

So, if the map is uneven, you can still play it (since uneven maps are sometimes still interesting)

Thanks !
Scorpion0x17

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Fri May 11, 2012 7:05 pm

redl wrote:Hi !!

I'd love to have "revanche" : replace exactly the same game, on the same map, agains the same player, but opposite starting positions.

So, if the map is uneven, you can still play it (since uneven maps are sometimes still interesting)

Thanks !

If I understand your post correctly (through deciphering the bad English (I'm guessing it's not your 'first language')), I too think that would be a useful addition to the game, though I'm not sure how it could be implemented well, from a UI point of view.

I think you can currently (but I may be mistaken) play the same map as was played on any other already played game (not sure how you go about that though), however I think it would be good, and particularly useful for tournaments to be able to set up a game by which the same map will automatically be played twice by the same two opponents, just from opposite sides each time.
trolling [verb]:
J.Mad

Postby J.Mad » Fri May 11, 2012 8:21 pm

This is great idea! This should be an option for challenge system, or even should be a button "propose switch side rematch" for all current games.
Space Voyager

Postby Space Voyager » Sun May 13, 2012 6:35 am

redl wrote:I'd love to have "revanche"

That would be COOL!
Shauku

Postby Shauku » Thu May 31, 2012 7:00 am

Timed turns are nice, but i was thinking that it would be cool to have a limited number of "timeouts" to use during a match (like an 1 extra minute), cause some turns just need that extra attention.
spdality

Postby spdality » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:22 pm

This may be because I'm one for keeping things clean, but I'd like to see some way of clearing your current games list of all dead games. I have a whole page of games in which my opponent has failed to make a first move or failed to make a move for x weeks. Perhaps a 2 week maximum game length, or a 'claim dead' button registering the game to be closed if no moves are made within so many days and your opponent fails to make a move? This would obviously mean the losing side/side that has made no moves would receive a loss, otherwise it could be pretty badly abused.
x62s

Postby x62s » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:56 pm

I don't know if those hotkeys were requested before, but I'll just give it a go:
  • some kind of functionality that sends grey enemy units back to the position where they were seen last
  • using the "End" button on the keyboard might select the last waypoint of the currently selected unit
  • ...and/or you might introduce buttons to switch through the waypoints of a unit (that would be quite useful for fine tuning a peek-around-the-corner action where there are multiple waypoints on the same spot)
  • ...and most importantly: it should also be possible to select enemy units by pressing numbers on the keyboard in combination with Shift, Ctrl or Alt! There's nothing more frustrating than trying to select a particular machine gunner out of three that stand on the same spot (this happens quite a lot in charge games). I just saw that this was requested a few posts above... this seems to be an important feature.
Scorpion0x17

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:12 pm

x62s wrote:(...fine tuning a peek-around-the-corner action where there are multiple waypoints on the same spot)

The toolbox (spanner in the bottom right corner of the screen) is useful for that situation (basically, amongst other things, allows you to split a plan up into multiple sections, and select between them - so 'go up to and around corner' could be one section, then 'return back around corner' could be another).
trolling [verb]:

Return to “General”