Wishlist thread

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Logo

Re: Wishlist thread

Post by Logo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:46 pm

[Completely frivolous] It'd be fun Units should have a randomly generated name. I already feel bad if a unit dies and them having names makes it much worse. I know there was an indie platforming game that was all about naming your units so you felt bad when they died, the name of which escapes me. It'd also fit well with letting your units talk.

You could it it next to/below the player's name. The downside is additional UI clutter.
Simulate: the answer to all of your problems.
bobodahobo

Post by bobodahobo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:49 pm

[UI] FS Communicator: Mostly just a matter of cleaning up the multiplayer interface, but something I'd like to see is a little status/communication bar at the bottom of the screen, a lot like the Facebook bar. It would notify you to new challenges/games, new turns, messages, friends online, and let you jump between games easily (in addition to changing your game status).

[UI] Statusbar Notify: It would be awesome to be able to minimize the game entirely to the statusbar, and get little notifications as to what's going on, so I can click back in, take a turn, then click back out.

[SP] I don't know what your plans for single-player are, but I remember a quote from one of your previews where the previewer mentioned wanting you to take a 'systemic' approach (ala X-COM) as opposed to a narrative route. I wholeheartedly agree with this. Something that would provide a meta-game or overworld map alongside random encounters with all sorts of objectives would be AMAZING (and I think FS lends itself very well to this sort of setup).

Also @ Minifig: YES. YES. A MILLION TIMES YES.
JeP

Post by JeP » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:16 pm

bobodahobo wrote:[SP] I don't know what your plans for single-player are, but I remember a quote from one of your previews where the previewer mentioned wanting you to take a 'systemic' approach (ala X-COM) as opposed to a narrative route. I wholeheartedly agree with this. Something that would provide a meta-game or overworld map alongside random encounters with all sorts of objectives would be AMAZING (and I think FS lends itself very well to this sort of setup).
:shock:

... now I'm thinking : large scale war with two or more camps, each one formed by multiple players, with a strategic map played a little like Risk, and each conflict resolved in the actual game...

That

Would be

AWESOME !
0xT

Post by 0xT » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:37 pm

Linux support

Map movement with mouse [sometimes y kinda rest my head on my left hand, it would be nice to be able to move the map using only the mouse hand]

Rebindable keys
Lu-Tze

Post by Lu-Tze » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:27 pm

JeP wrote:But I must admit... now that I've understood that each enemy is usable to test scenarios, this becomes less of a problem, and I think Lu-Tze have missed that, cause it's reaaally helpful (and well thought, again).
No no, I get that I can see where he can see, but because the interior colour of the cone is transparent, you get no information about how obstacles restrict your vision, and whether you can actually see right through those two windows to that doorway like you think you can.

"V" helps this, when choosing the firing positions of your units you can test that he can see certain places. However having a more opaque view cone, so you can instantly see what you can and can't see, and of those areas which you can only seeing standing players, would make it much simpler. In that simplicity lies the main drawback though, if you can playback a replay with the viewcone on, you can get a much better idea for where the enemy might have been because it's far easier to see what you could and couldn't see over the course of the Turn. This is good because it allows you to more easily deduce enemy movements in Dark. This is bad because it allows you to more easily deduce enemy movement in Dark.

Ultimately, it's a judgement call on whether it makes the game more fun or not, it would almost certainly be "useful".
JeP

Post by JeP » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:42 pm

I've understood that, all I'm saying is : improving the cone will never become
more useful than testing scenarios with the enemy soldiers, cause with that you have
timing, resolution of duel, etc.
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Great ideas here folks. Just wanted to jump in and let OxT know that:

1. You can move the camera by holding down the right mouse button

2. While we don't have native linux support, I'm told that Synapse works extremely well under WINE.

Thanks.
Ian
Koreg

Post by Koreg » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:19 pm

[UI] A quick overview of games won/lost and points scored on the Players Tab.
[Game Play] Ability to force gunner to fire ala rocket launcher, but for Machine gunner (suppressive fire?)
[UI] An ability to sort previously played games by everyone in order to see things like "Top Rated" "Highest Scoring" "Most Commented" etc etc matches.

Also, in match chat would be awesome.
Cyrai

Post by Cyrai » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:20 pm

The ability to 'hear' units nearby and get rough ideas where they are

X-COM worked fine without this because hitting someone wasn't guaranteed and because units could take more than one hit. As it is now, if the enemy gets the drop on you, you're straight dead. If you could hear nearby units, you could try to react to enemy movements and do something before your guy is gone
AnakinOU

Post by AnakinOU » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:02 pm

Cyrai wrote:The ability to 'hear' units nearby and get rough ideas where they are

X-COM worked fine without this because hitting someone wasn't guaranteed and because units could take more than one hit. As it is now, if the enemy gets the drop on you, you're straight dead. If you could hear nearby units, you could try to react to enemy movements and do something before your guy is gone
I thought of something similar this morning: a complete "noise" system. Of course, it would only apply to Dark games, but it could be very cool. After all, our soldiers aren't completely deaf.

Every action (walk, run, aim, duck, stand, firing, yelling, etc.) would have a "noise" value and an area of effect (how far that particular sound travels). Each character can then "hear" an enemy, if the enemy is making more noise than that character is making (e.g. if you're running full speed, you're breathing hard and can't hear someone sneaking on the other side of a wall, but they would hear you). If a character hears an enemy, this can be shown by a small )))) icon around the character, in the approximate direction from which they heard the noise.
JayDee

Post by JayDee » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:57 pm

Picked up the beta yesterday and I'm in love, great job so far.

Couple guys in my office came up with a few things we'd like.

1) The ability to hop over halfwalls. It would obviously slow you down and make you vulnerable but it would allow for more access to rooms.

2) Hand grenades. Allows machinegunners or shotgunners to switch to a limited(1?) number of grenades to aid in clearing rooms. Maybe have the option to 'cook' it before you throw it?

3) Heart Beat Monitor) Along the lines of adding extra equipment to characters, allow a drop/throwable device the covers a small radius with a pulse ever 1/2 second or so that lets you know that a unit have moved thru the area without seeing him.

Thanks! Keep it up!
0xT

Post by 0xT » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:38 pm

Omroth wrote:Great ideas here folks. Just wanted to jump in and let OxT know that:

1. You can move the camera by holding down the right mouse button

2. While we don't have native linux support, I'm told that Synapse works extremely well under WINE.

Thanks.
Ian
Could have sworn I tried that.
Any way, thanks for the heads up!

P.D. <3FS
Tom O'Bedlam

Post by Tom O'Bedlam » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:26 pm

I'd like to see a slightly more accessible Rankings system, as it stands it can be a pain to trawl through the list looking for your name and your friend's names. It can just be a bit hard on the eyes. Perhaps some sort of search bar? Also, it'd be great to see a players score in their user profile. If it's possible in the game engine, having some level of personalisation of profiles would be good. That would allow some scope for people to provide some fiction behind their squad, that'd definitely appeal to me :)
Lu-Tze

Post by Lu-Tze » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:06 pm

JeP wrote:I've understood that, all I'm saying is : improving the cone will never become
more useful than testing scenarios with the enemy soldiers, cause with that you have
timing, resolution of duel, etc.
Trust me, I am aware that I can move enemy soldiers, it doesn't mean it's any more annoying to have to drag around the V indicator rather than just having a cone that does the same job there. It's the same information, you just have to work hard to get at it.

Right now, if I want to pick the ideal stopping position for my unit, I have to place the waypoint, then drag around the map with V, trying to get a picture of what i'll be able to see. Then I move the waypoint a bit, and drag around the map to build up a picture again and so on, and so on. It might take me a couple of minutes to decide on the best position. If I get the improved view cone it takes me 10 seconds of dragging around the waypoint for it to work. Same result, but a much shorter time period.
</derail>
insertinear

Post by insertinear » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:56 pm

1. Ability to delete or forfeit games.

2. Show me what game type a player is requesting when i get a popup begging me to play with someone.

3. Hostage mode either needs to be dark only or if visible have longer(or no) turn limit. When you play hostage mode the enemy team can camp the hostages from cover within the first game turns making it very hard to have a chance at winning. (and since the opponent knows where your units are you can't sneak up)

4. Vanilla Deathmatch, like dark dispute but without point boxes ever and no turn limit.

5. Random weapon powerups/soldier type changers, these could spawn after a number of turns kind of like the point boxes in Dispute.

-The speach bubble idea as a unit command is a cute idea and could lend some fun moments to a game. :)
Keep up the good work guys, I'm looking forward to seeing this game grow!