Wishlist thread

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

YouGo

Re: Wishlist thread

Post by YouGo » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:59 pm

Yea, that's true, sometimes you want to hit a small window pillar, and it takes some time and guessing on how to do it. Especially when shooting out trough doors, trough a window, another door, into a small pillar ^^
Decho

Post by Decho » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:41 pm

A more customisable skirmish system would be wonderful, with functions like the following:

1. Definable map size (small, medium, large, silly options would be fine)
2. Force size (of both player and opponent)
3. Map style (generate a map with dense/little cover etc.)
4. Force load-outs (not too fussed about this, but it would make sense to include it)
5. AI style (aggressive, defensive, balanced) - I would have thought that this would be quite complex to add, but it would be an interesting feature, especially if skirmish games with more than two players were available :)

I personally have intermittent access to an internet connection, so skirmish is mainly what I play, and it would be nice to have a few more options.
ouarlax

Post by ouarlax » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:55 pm

It would be nice if there was an option for playing live games with a limited time allowed for planning. It would make for fast paced action and quick thinking :)
Pfaeff

Post by Pfaeff » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:54 pm

I would like to have a 3D-camera/zoom like in strategy games, so you could zoom in and have a over-the-shoulder view. That would be awesome.
bubleeshaark

Post by bubleeshaark » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:27 am

I have a few ideas for units. I certainly don't expect them all to be in there, but you may find one appealing?
-A guy who places mines
-A guy who throws smoke grenades. Perhaps these would make an area of the map "dark" when playing in a "light" mode
-A guy who throws flash-bang grenades, which temporarily stalls a unit for 1 second, or maybe loses aiming hit % when blinded for a second.
-A doctor! Healths units.
-A really fast guy who has a knife! (okay now I'm going overboard!)

When I tell a unit to aim then cancel aim (I'm assuming its the same position) then could you automatically delete both of these actions so that I'm not stacked with a bunch of aim, unaim, aim, unaim?

Maybe you could create a simpler, more intuitive menu from which to select unit commands. Perhaps whether the unit was aiming or not would be indicated by the 'aim symbol' being bright and shiny or not.

Maybe I've missed this, but can you create a way-point in the middle of already created way points? It seems that would make life a lot easier.

Maybe the ability to cut-and-paste routes?

Sometimes when I am making very tiny commands to my unit the green square becomes huge as I zoom in. Maybe you could make it smaller as you zoom in, so that I can make more intricate work. Or am I too detailed in my planning?

I would love a new layout of the entire screen. You could increase the window size to the side and move all of the extraneous stuff in the middle of the field of battle on a side-menu-bar. Maybe you could have the chat automatically expanded at that point so that you don't have to open and close it?

I know you're probably thinking that I'm a greedy guy right now, but I have one more suggestion.
Perhaps you could move each unit in the planning phase itself. You know, use the arrow keys (or WASD) to move, ctrl would toggle stand/kneel, etc.

Anyways, I love the game, and I'm excited to see what the finished product will look like. Best of luck!:)

Adam

EDIT: 3-player? 4-player? Teams? WOULD BE AWESOME!
Ace_Rimmer

Post by Ace_Rimmer » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:05 pm

I believe mine-layer and flashbang are already in the game, you just don't get those units with non custom maps.
Cronstintein

Post by Cronstintein » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:36 am

Maybe give each gun-based unit a nade? But only one. Then the grenadier unit could have unlimited access to all three.

Flashbangs for shot gunners
Grenades for machine gunners
Smoke 'nades for snipers.

Just an idea, not sure how it'd actually pan out.
Cronstintein

Post by Cronstintein » Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:36 am

I think a "suppression" element to combat would be interesting.

Specifically for machine-gunners. Basically when you have more than one MG guy firing on a target it effects the target's aim. Decreasing it so ganging up on someone could result in a win with no losses.
Just an idea.

Also,

Sniper's having the ability to focus on a much slimmer FoV, increasing fire speed greatly. So you could focus on a window/doorway and if someone comes through there they get popped almost instantly.
philb

Post by philb » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Apologies for the inevitable overlap with other suggestions in this long thread.

I've been playing again, virtually all against the AI.
  • One of the pop-ups has "stay here"/"go there now" options, but really, I want to say "no, not interested, thanks".
  • The match-making bit needs to be able split by the different game modes. A single "traffic light" doesn't allow the user to express that they want to play some types of game mode, but not others. It's just that game mode.
  • Others have mentioned co-op and various multiplayer, e.g., 2x2. That'd make a great difference.
  • Being able to save single player games: the only means to replay them at the moment (after finishing the game and moving on) is to play an ogg file.
  • Treat single player games more like the multiplayer games? I.e,. the AI is treated more like a human player?
But I do like this game :D . Is the early 2011 release looking likely? (I think it was originally slated for late 2010?)
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:04 pm

Hi Philb.

If you click on "game modes" in the bottom left you can select which game modes you wish to play. It's not perfect though - I am working on it.

Thanks for the other suggestions - we're very hopeful of an April release, but nothing's confirmed yet.

Ian
philb

Post by philb » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Omroth wrote:If you click on "game modes" in the bottom left you can select which game modes you wish to play. It's not perfect though - I am working on it.
Thanks! I had managed to overlook it from a while ago.
Thanks for the other suggestions - we're very hopeful of an April release, but nothing's confirmed yet.
Sure, that's reasonable.

In the release version, will the AI be able to play the different modes (light/dark extermination/secure/...)? At the moment, it only plays light extermination (unless I've missed another control!).
flap

Post by flap » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:25 pm

Hello,

I might be fun to play unsymetrical games, such as one player has more soldiers, but is in the dark, while the other has fewer but is in the light.

Regards
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Philb, the full game will have a comprehensive mission-based single player with a lot of variety, and yes a good skirmish mode with settings.

Ian
Javolenus

Post by Javolenus » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:09 pm

I'm new here (only played a few single-player games) - sorry if this has already been covered . . .

I'd like to see onscreen text for each squad member, saying what he can see (or what he's doing/thinking). I think I actually saw this - or something like this - in one game, and thought it was cool, but then it didn't seem to occur again. I should mention that I only just installed the Beta and have only played about a dozen single-player games. EDIT: OK, I discovered that if you click on a squad member you can get this kind of info . . .

I'd also like to see more differentiation between how the different units behave - so that you have to learn how best to deploy snipers, MGs, RPGs, etc.

I'd also like to see the weapons based on real-life systems as far as possible (e.g. affecting movement speed, aiming time, lethality etc.). Well, it was just a thought, but the game is already in pretty good shape I think.

Also, is it possible to model stress in the game, so that squad members behave differently if a team member goes down?

Finally, just to say many thanks for a great game - definitely something special (kinda reminds me of blitz chess).
YouGo

Post by YouGo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:22 pm

A 1v1 (characters) matchmaking option.

And with release of co-op a 2v2 of course.