Wishlist thread

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Tom O'Bedlam

Re: Wishlist thread

Post by Tom O'Bedlam » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Is there any chance of us getting some manner of 'chime' to sound when a turn arrives if we're set to away. I usually play FS while I'm at the library working on my dissertation and similar. Some announcement that a new turn arrived would be ace for that, I wouldn't need to keep alt-tabbing to see if anythings loaded or I wouldn't forget I'm playing someone while I'm writing.

I'm sure this would be useful for everyone, right?
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:16 am

Tom O'Bedlam wrote:I'm sure this would be useful for everyone, right?
+1
I solve my problems with grenades.
Zetty

Post by Zetty » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:15 am

Endless mode: Two players enters, the first to leave that specific game or loses all their units loses.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:16 am

Zetty wrote:Endless mode: Two players enters, the first to leave that specific game or loses all their units loses.
Like Extermination without a time limit?
I solve my problems with grenades.
phoses

Post by phoses » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:20 am

Game mode: paintball / capture the flag type of game. Not square but long map with lots of covers. Capture the flag in the middle or enemys flag.
Game mode2: bomb plant. Might be too much like in CS but i would like to see other team to defend bombing areas and another placing the bomb.
VexingVision

Post by VexingVision » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:37 am

[Matchmaking] Options for timed matches: 1 minute per turn / 4 minute per turn / 10 minute per turn / 1 turn per hour / 1 turn per day / 1 turn per day excluding weekends / 1 turn per week / no limit - Missing a turn will result in simply executing the remaining orders without inputting any new.
[Gamesetup] Allow influence on teamsize (prefer 2 units, 3 units, 5 units, 2-5 units, any, etc)
[Game] Introduce "yellow" and "blue" teams to allow 1vs1vs1, 1vs1vs1vs1 and 2vs2 matches.
[UI] Modify own user account! Change password, nickname, email address.
[UI] Introduce "display name" to differ from "login" name as extra security measure. Most online games go this way now.
[polish] [low priority] As a gimmick, it'd be great if we could switch to a first person perspective from any unit to watch a replay! (That'd make for great trailers.)

Everything else has already been mentioned, I think, but definitely a +1 to the sound notification!

Great game. A list of features to be implemented for the final release would be great!
Lu-Tze

Post by Lu-Tze » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:43 pm

[UI/System] Tournaments. Arranging them outside of the game is easy enough, but it would be better if the system could just handle all the semantics of running a series of knockout games, and arraning the next round of matches etc. Ideally each round would be running Duplicate levels too, just for the fun of seeing how each player approached their game differently afterwards.
Zetty

Post by Zetty » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:05 pm

Pandarsenic wrote:
Zetty wrote:Endless mode: Two players enters, the first to leave that specific game or loses all their units loses.
Like Extermination without a time limit?
Precisely. The only way to end the game is to win it. (or give up/die, but those aren't very good options. :lol: )
Gnarf

Post by Gnarf » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:20 pm

Is it possible to watch a full match without it pausing between turns? (I know that you can do that by recording the fight/putting it on YouTube, but besides that...)

Because if not, that's like something I wish for.
Zetty

Post by Zetty » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:29 pm

There are some parts of the youtube playbacks where you can 'see' where the turn ended.
Epicurus

Post by Epicurus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:36 pm

Lu-Tze wrote:
  • [Gamemode] With the exception of Secure, games can be marked "Both ways" with Teams swapping after the End Result, and the final score being the difference between the two rounds. This is especially the case when rescuing Hostages.
This is a fantastic idea.

EDIT: Also, please give some indication of how many targets a given unit is holding in "disputed". I actually forgot at one point that I only had 2 and not 3 with a certain unit, causing me to walk him off the map prematurely. Icons below the unit's feet or a number above their head would be good methods, or even a menu screen that shows which units are holding what.

Should probably be visible to opponents as well to add some depth.
Epicurus

Post by Epicurus » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:24 am

[feature: first-person view]. It would be a really cool feature if it were possible to see from a unit's perspective in first-person from a given point - the most convenient way would probably be to have a key you hold down to see in first person from the currently selected unit or waypoint. The graphics would not have to look good - the main idea would be to quickly figure out line of sight, or just the "coolness" factor of being able to do so, which could really (IMO) take the game to the next level in terms of its mainstream appeal.

Also,
phoses wrote: Game mode2: bomb plant. Might be too much like in CS but i would like to see other team to defend bombing areas and another placing the bomb.
This has a ton of potential IMO. Here's a rough sketch for a demolition mode off the top of my head:

the attacking team gets one unit who carries no weapon (like a hostage) but can "plant bomb" by aiming. The bomb has an adjustable delay timer with a minimum of say 10 - 15 seconds between being planted and detonating. The goal of the attacking team is to demolish one or more targets in the level, which would be like normal walls and half-walls, but colored differently to identify them as the targets. The bomb produces the same wall-destroying explosion as a rocket launcher rocket, but with a much larger blast radius. The special targets would of course be immune to destruction by a rocket launcher - only the bomb can damage the target.

Some amount of walls that fit within about 1/2 the blast diameter of the bomb are selected to be the demolition target in a random game. The attacker and defender teams are randomly assigned, but the attacker gets one extra unit: the bomb-planter, who is unarmed but can plant the bomb. The defenders deploy near the target (s)?

The bomb planter can be ordered to plant the bomb, which requires being stationary for a moment. At that point, a message is visible to all players that the bomb has been planted, but in a dark game the defenders do not necessarily know WHERE it has been planted.

The bomb is an object on the map which is visible like a crouching unit. A countdown timer is visible for both players showing the time left until the bomb detonates.

The bomb can be disarmed by the defenders by moving adjacent to it and performing a "disarm" action, which takes perhaps one second or some similar short amount of time (it has to be short, I imagine, or the defenders would have too much difficulty since the attackers will be covering the bomb diligently).

This mode would be interesting because the bomb could be planted in an infinite number of possible locations, since all that is necessary is that the blast engulfs the target structure. This allows some real creativity and tactical choice for both players.
Blindsight

Post by Blindsight » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:28 am

Wish:

Unknown ghosts of enemy to be placed out of play area rather than upper left corner. They are always messing with my simulations.
Cyrai

Post by Cyrai » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:33 pm

As someone suggested, this game needs a status bar icon that flashes when you've been challenged or there's a new turn. I don't want to have to keep tabbing to the game to see if I have a new turn
VGrossman

Post by VGrossman » Sat May 01, 2010 1:55 am

I dont if it is mentioned before but i wish i could play Dark extermination vs A.I. light seems to easy
most of the times you can read the A.I. moves.