[Proposal]: A cardgame-like approach to unit-buying

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Lyx

[Proposal]: A cardgame-like approach to unit-buying

Post by Lyx » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:23 am

I like the current random scheme of being assigned units (besides of sometimes there being too many explosives, but thats another topic), and do not think that it should be replaced. However, both players being able to choose their units at the start of a match also is interesting. I've been thinking for a while how to make such a buy-phase more interactive - it seemed like a great opportunity for a minigame to me. Yesterday in chat, i came up with a quite simple idea which fits the bill.

This phase would consist of two steps:

1. Both players independently pick unittypes for all of their units and prime.

2. Both players get to see the setup of the opponent, and can change 25% (rounded down) of their units to react to the enemy setup.

So, in a game with 4-unit teams, both first pick 4 units, prime, get to see the opponents unittypes, and each can then change one of his/her units. A bit like you pick a deck, both players get to see each others deck, and then each player can change one of his/her own cards to react to the opponents deck.

25% rounded down would mean:

2 units = 1 unit changeable
4 units = 1 unit changeable
8 units = 2 units changeable
12 units (wtf) = 3 units changeable
Lyx: "Wot? Why do i lose that one?"
Chem: " if(playerIsLyx()) chanceOfWinning *= 0.3f;"
Lyx: "Damnit om!"
Plum

Re: [Proposal]: A cardgame-like approach to unit-buying

Post by Plum » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:06 pm

I actually really like the randomness of it - it forces you to work out how to best play the hand that you're given, rather than just picking the perfect team for the job. Maybe as a game set-up option?
Logo

Post by Logo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:10 pm

Plum wrote:I actually really like the randomness of it - it forces you to work out how to best play the hand that you're given, rather than just picking the perfect team for the job. Maybe as a game set-up option?
I think it's something that could work well with the area control game type. Players could bid their teams and territory at the same time. So do you go for a defensive setup and hope you win the bidding, or do you go for the offensive setup and hope you lose the bidding?

Then leave elimination as is.
Simulate: the answer to all of your problems.
Cyrai

Post by Cyrai » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:50 pm

Logo wrote:
Plum wrote:I actually really like the randomness of it - it forces you to work out how to best play the hand that you're given, rather than just picking the perfect team for the job. Maybe as a game set-up option?
I think it's something that could work well with the area control game type. Players could bid their teams and territory at the same time. So do you go for a defensive setup and hope you win the bidding, or do you go for the offensive setup and hope you lose the bidding?

Then leave elimination as is.
It'd be pretty easy to lose bidding. You just click on the smallest box and bid for that
Lyx

Post by Lyx » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:08 pm

And if both players do that, you may end up defending this area that you never intended to defend :-P
Lyx: "Wot? Why do i lose that one?"
Chem: " if(playerIsLyx()) chanceOfWinning *= 0.3f;"
Lyx: "Damnit om!"
Jayhawk

Post by Jayhawk » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:00 am

I imagine it would be simple to just add another game condition similar to dark or light except in this case, you would be able to choose your men. It would be an option for those who enjoy such things!
Deimos

Post by Deimos » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:57 pm

An addition to this topic:

Currently, as I see it, the Extermination mode is flawed in that it usually gives one player the advantage from the get go. The advantage is unit placement. One team generally gets placed so that it is very easy to win, no matter what the opponent does.

Extreme example of this is game -92731. Each side had 1 grenade and 3 MGs. My side gets 3 MG placed in a room with one window and one door, easily covered by the enemy team. (Other door I can't exit due to it being too close to the wall.) My grenade gets placed outside the room. I lose, partly because I am still learning, mainly because I can't leave the room.

This with unit buying would make for better gameplay and sticking in the theme of the better player wins, not whoever gets placed by the AI in an advantage wins.
JeP

Post by JeP » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:20 pm

I think a rematch function could be really more pleasant than seeking balanced starts.
I personnally am glad to have to work my ass off to get the upper hand with a hard setup,
sometimes it works and I 'm really proud, sometimes I just can't do nothing, but I've only
lost some time on a quick game, no harm done.
Lyx

Post by Lyx » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 pm

I think that unitplacement and rematch stuff is interesting, but i do not really see what they have to do with the topic.
JeP

Post by JeP » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:38 pm

It was especially to say that I don't think starts need to be balanced.