Lyx

[Map] Lyx's "Flow"

Post by Lyx » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:02 pm

Designed for:
Extermination

Style:
Close quarters with many attack vectors, some of them very long

Design-Goals:
I wanted a map which has a fast flow, and units never being safe nor locked down - something where there would be a constant flow of units moving from one attack-configuration to another and tactics constantly in the move. The secondary goal was to have a close quarters map in which MGs and even Snipers are feasible, instead of SGs dominating the map. The map works well for SGs, MGs, Snipers and Grenades - the only thing it wasn't designed for is rockets.

Used techinques:
- Every attack-position can be neutralized from a counter-position
- Unless you are surrounded, there are always escape routes.
- High amount of attack vectors, partially connected - the network of attack positions is like a super mexican standoff.
- Long attack corridors through multiple doorways and windows to let MGs and Snipers play out their advantages.

Default team-setup:
- 1 MG, 1 SG & 1 Grenade on each team
- Teams start out at opposite corners of the map.

Design-State:
I consider this finished and will - if at all - only make minor changes in the future (things like moving a window a small number of pixels).

Final thoughts:
Overally, i'm satisfied with this one. One thing which i regretted was the size of the map. When the map was already almost finished, it became clear to me that it would have turned out better if it were a little bit larger (not much). At that point, the map however was to far in design to make that fundamental change. Perhaps i will someday make a different map with a similiar feel that is bigger.

================================

How to use:
copy the zip-contents to frozensynapse\psychoff\data\encounters. Then launch the game, challenge someone to a match manually, go into advaced setup, hover over "editor window" and click "load".
Attachments
lyx_flow.zip
(1.94 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
Faxmachinen

Re: [Map] Lyx's "Flow"

Post by Faxmachinen » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:30 pm

That looks awesome.

On a related note, how do you play custom maps in multiplayer?
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:39 pm

This map has a bitchin' design, and I think the team setup works pretty well. Do you have any recommended alternative unit loadouts?

Also, getting distracted from that point: the grenade unit being there is a great idea for forcing combat to be fluid because of their ability to flush turtling units (and players) into your killzones, and your map looks wonderful for that.
I solve my problems with grenades.
Logo

Post by Logo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:42 pm

Does this map really break down that badly with rockets? It seems like you could have some real fun by making / storming alternate routes with rockets. Maybe the rooms are a bit too small for this (aka the rockets just kill everyone)?

Hmmm maybe a rocket friendly map along these lines is in orders.
Simulate: the answer to all of your problems.
Lyx

Post by Lyx » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:49 pm

Hi, thanks for the replies...
On a related note, how do you play custom maps in multiplayer?
Look a little bit above your post.
This map has a bitchin' design, and I think the team setup works pretty well. Do you have any recommended alternative unit loadouts?

Also, getting distracted from that point: the grenade unit being there is a great idea for forcing combat to be fluid because of their ability to flush turtling units (and players) into your killzones, and your map looks wonderful for that.
I'd guess that MG-Sniper-Grenade, SG-SG-Grenade and SG-SG-MG would work well too. Regarding the grenade forcing fluidity - i agree, that was precisely the idea. Personally, i think that the Grenade is a bit too strong on this map, caused by the map being a little bit too small, but it still seems acceptable to me.

Does this map really break down that badly with rockets?
I have no idea. I just haven't spend a single thought on rockets while doing the map, and have no idea what rockets would do to the finetuned room layout. If you're curious, try it and see what happens :)
Faxmachinen

Post by Faxmachinen » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:18 pm

Lyx wrote:Look a little bit above your post.
D'oh. Also, what I really meant to ask was wether or not the opponent would have to have the map, but I take it that's not the case?
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:59 pm

Hey Faxy. No, only the challenger needs the map.
Tom O'Bedlam

Post by Tom O'Bedlam » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:50 pm

Very nice. Keeps the play moving nicely. More! More! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s_PpRVn5J4

i got out maneuvered...
Lyx

Post by Lyx » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:14 am

Thanks for the vid! The elegance of coordination in that vid is amazing, even though its a dark match. Quite different to the usual rather erratic and chaotic impression of replays.
Lyx: "Wot? Why do i lose that one?"
Chem: " if(playerIsLyx()) chanceOfWinning *= 0.3f;"
Lyx: "Damnit om!"