[Suggestion] Challenge Mode

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Lu-Tze

[Suggestion] Challenge Mode

Post by Lu-Tze » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:11 am

Challenge Mode would be a slightly more drastic change/addition to the game to many other gamemodes i've seen suggested, but the concept is this...

One player, or the devs, setup a level with an objective. Might be hostage rescue, might be simple elimination. The idea, however, is to make a perfect "fortress". The defending team will never move, they stay locked in position, aiming the same way. This is the Challenge.

When you take on the Challenge, you can choose what units you want, and how many of them, and their spawns within designated areas. But, and this is the big but, each unit costs points. Your goal is to complete the objective using the least number of points. Best be quick about it too, because each turn you use adds an additional lump of points.

And the reason you don't want to spend a lot of points is because you aren't competing against the creator, you are competing against everyone else who takes up the Challenge. Each Challenge has it's own little leaderboard of the Top 5 scores, along with it's star rating and so on. The goal is efficiency. Efficiency of action, and efficiency of unit choice. Can you do it with just one Shotgun dude? Or rather than spend 10 turns running him around is it cheaper to just spam the area with Rockets?

Obviously it's easy to make a level that's TOO difficult, one where unless you bring an army of units to bear you don't stand a chance against the entrenched defence. The trick to making your Challenge appeal, and be given a high rating and so appear top of the Challenge board, is to balance the difficulty. Give lots of ways they can go about trying to beat your system.

I think there is an ancillary benefit to the devs in doing this, and that's twofold. First, it shows how people manipulate the game. In a regular game, people are somewhat more haphazard in their movements. But when you know EXACTLY what the enemy is going to do next turn, and every turn, it lets you get a lot more exploitative in your actions. If people are going to find ways to exploit the game mechanics, then it's in a mode like this. Second, it's an excellent arena for seeing what kind of levels and challenges would make for interesting additions to the Single Player game.

Thoughts?
Opinions?
Logo

Re: [Suggestion] Challenge Mode

Post by Logo » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:09 pm

It's a neat idea, but 1 rocket launcher and 1 grenade launcher + 1 cheap unit + 1 of each cheapest unit for every enemy unit that's impossible to avoid on the first round could probably clear every challenge.

You'd probably need an insanely high cost for rockets and/or grenades because of this.

Then again maybe the scoring system for efficiency could also take care of this.
Simulate: the answer to all of your problems.
Lu-Tze

Post by Lu-Tze » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:07 pm

Rockets and Grenades WOULD need to have a high associated cost, but also if your Challenge involves Hostage rescue their placement can make such heavy handed tactics unfeasible.

As I said, it's not about completing the Challenge. With immobile opponents actually completing it is probably trivial because you can make sure you don't make any mistakes. What is important is efficiency. Balance it so that doing it with a Rocketeer in 2 turns is about the same as doing it with a Gunner in 8.

I can see a certain satisfaction in taking on well designed Challenges, as well as the fact you aren't reliant on another person being online to play, and yet it still has a continuing freshness as people make new Challenges and find new ways to improve upon their score in old ones.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:29 am

Idea:

Perhaps the different units have an initial point cost and and "upkeep" point cost, where if you take, say, a rocket launcher and a grenadier, you're going to have to act fast because it costs a lot of points if you take on more than a couple turns' worth of upkeep for them.
I solve my problems with grenades.
Lyx

Post by Lyx » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:23 am

The overall idea sounds really interesting to me. The possible problems were already mentioned:

1. If the enemy cannot move, then that makes him predictable.... which is a free ticket for...
2. Rocket launchers. If LoS is there, they can fire a rocket at the target and quickly retreat without being shot. There isn't really a defense against rocket launchers, except of unpredictable movement and open areas. Being in an open area however makes the defender vulnerable to MGs and Snipers.
Zetty

Post by Zetty » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:22 am

Sounds to me like an extension of the single player missions.

A variation could be "king of the hill" style where the map/challenge creator starts off with their defense and whoever beats that one first gets to create a new defense and so on.
Pandarsenic

Post by Pandarsenic » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:58 am

Lyx wrote:The overall idea sounds really interesting to me. The possible problems were already mentioned:

1. If the enemy cannot move, then that makes him predictable.... which is a free ticket for...
2. Rocket launchers. If LoS is there, they can fire a rocket at the target and quickly retreat without being shot. There isn't really a defense against rocket launchers, except of unpredictable movement and open areas. Being in an open area however makes the defender vulnerable to MGs and Snipers.
So give rocket launchers a high initial/upkeep cost.
I solve my problems with grenades.