Moderator: Admins

Omroth
Site Admin

Feature Announcement: Duplicate

Post by Omroth » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:26 pm

Zetty

Re: Feature Announcement: Duplicate

Post by Zetty » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:19 pm

Will each pair of players have the same units and starting positions, or just the same map layout?
Lyx

Post by Lyx » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:21 pm

I think that the idea is great, but that it should not be used as an excuse for gameplay inbalances. As long as the later isn't done, i think the idea is genius if implemented right. Duplicate considered, i think that three aspects should figure into the score:

1. Normal "map score"
2. Your ranking and the opponents ranking
3. Duplicate score

Even though this may be as fair and meaningful as it can get, it makes match-scores not immediatelly obvious - thus, i think at the end of a match, and in the match info, a breakdown of how the scores were calculated should be displayed - no exact formulas necessary, just a breakdown into the above 3 aspects.
Lobotomy Lobster

Post by Lobotomy Lobster » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:19 pm

A pretty interesting idea, I really like the way it keeps the current asymetric levels in game instead of over-balancing the game. How often will we see new maps enter the system and old maps leave? Will it be a daily thing or weekly or what?
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:58 pm

hey guys.

any given player will obviously only play new (to him) maps, and the maps will filter out of active duty after 24 hours. I would expect at the current rate each map to be played by about 200 people.
Cyron

Post by Cyron » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:18 pm

Omroth wrote:hey guys.

any given player will obviously only play new (to him) maps, and the maps will filter out of active duty after 24 hours. I would expect at the current rate each map to be played by about 200 people.
Is it possible to send us back to the same map as the other side?
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:17 am

Duplicate version 1 is up. Two immediate bugs I'm on:

1. The game page should show the "map score" for each duplicate entry
2. The scores aren't being quite calculated correctly... it's not too far off, but I need to revisit instances of people who are soley at the top or bottom.

I will put in a feature to immediately play the reverse of a map, but probably won't be able to get around to it for a while.
Nexx

Post by Nexx » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:08 am

If this Duplicate feature works as intended I don't really think theres any need to play the reverse of the map anyway.
Lu-Tze

Post by Lu-Tze » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:39 pm

Reverse is nice if you're playing someone you actually know, as opposed to trying to top the leaderboards. I would also imagine it would be the de facto choice for Tournaments.