First impressions

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

VexingVision

First impressions

Post by VexingVision » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:56 am

Hi everyone,

I pre-ordered the game yesterday after seeing it featured in the PC Games Blog and I'm in love. Or, at least I think I will be in love with the final product.

However, I would love to see some major polishing on the matchmaking options and other UI elements before wholeheartedly endorsing the game. Most importantly, I was absolutely shocked at being asked to set a password for a friend to set up his account. I grew up with not sharing passwords, and I seriously hope that the "sign up a friend" will be modified by just requiring an email-address.

I found the gameplay very easy to get into. I even won two rounds online (and lost two others, one of which was a close battle), so I guess I figured out the basic strategies. I also love Grenadiers and want more of them.

Matchmaking is easy and painless. I was surprised by the lack of options, though - especially lack of time limits. I'll address that in a more detailed suggestion post though.

All in all, I am impressed with the game. Quick question though: What happens if the Grand Server comes down (in a few years)? Will you include an ability to TCP/IP connect?
Omroth
Site Admin

Re: First impressions

Post by Omroth » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:30 am

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I'll just give a few quick responses as I'm knee-deep in code atm.

Re: friend password - apologies for this to everyone, I need to get a better solution up.

If you click "Create Game" and then "Advanced" you'll see that there are actually a LOT of options (including turn limits and even turn length - not an option I've seen people play with much yet).

I'm still trying to work out our "official response" to the "what happens if you fall off the face of the planet in one way or another" question, but am considering something along the lines of "I will release a version of the Grand Server that anyone can run if the absolute worst happens". There were two many quotes in that sentence.
VexingVision

Re: First impressions

Post by VexingVision » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:30 pm

Good stuff, thanks. :) I realize it's just an early beta, and it's pretty enjoyable so far.