[Feature Announcement] Friends lists

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Omroth
Site Admin

[Feature Announcement] Friends lists

Post by Omroth » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Hey guys.

I've just spent today implementing friends lists into FS, and they will be available to you guys with patch#1.

Friends lists are pretty straight-forward, here are the important points of my implementation:

1. This is a Twitter-style friends system, where you are basically "watching" someone and you don't require validation from them before you can set them as a friend. There is a separate list on the friends page which shows anyone who's friends with you who you aren't friends with. Honestly I just think this is a much more elegant solution for FS - people who've friended you don't have any impact on you if you don't friend them back, and it means you can adjust your friends list instantly.

2. There are now three leaderboards (apart from Score Streak which is staying as it has always been - the top 10 (or maybe I'll lower it to 5)):

- Duplicate Daily Rankings
- Daily Rankings
- Global Rankings

Up to now the daily and global rankings leaderboards have been MASSIVE on the sidebar and not a whole lot of use. With the patch, you will only see the following on each leaderboard:

- friends
- people in the top 10.

So it's still nice and prestigious to be in the top 10, but you also get to see how your friends are doing. It will show their actual rankings, so even though ARCHA is displayed in the number 11 slot, it will still show "512 - Archa". Much hilarity.

3. Personalised feed. The feed will show your friends' activity over the last couple of days, and in much smaller text (haven't quite decided on this yet - feedback welcome) very recent non-friends activity. The feed will *not* say "x has friended y". For fairly obvious reasons!
Sykes

Re: [Feature Announcement] Friends lists

Post by Sykes » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:39 pm

Will it also put your name in the top 10 lists? It's always nice to see how close you are to the top 10 ;)

CLARIFICATION: I meant you as in the player, not you specifically.
pmprog

Post by pmprog » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:51 pm

Friends? What is this word? :lol:
Frozen Synapse User: marqw
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:57 pm

Sykes - yes you will also be always shown :)
Lyx

Post by Lyx » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:18 pm

Sounds good, except of global top10. Imagine FS in a month.... certain players will have established themselves, and the -global- top10 wont change often. I'd propose to make the global rankings a top50, and ensuring that it is the last list in the sidebar (so that you dont need to scroll through it if you dont want to). Stuff will become more cleaned up if fontsizes are reduced a bit (and paragraph-spacing reduced a bit) anyways. Do you have any idea what to do about showing people who are online? If not, how about showing only friends who are online plus total online user count?

As for the feed, IMO the following could be dropped:

- X has started a game against X (unless its a friend)

- X's streak has been broken (unless its a friend or someone in the streak top10)

- Won/lost game notifications i'm unsure about. On the one hand, showing all is a bit much. On the other hand, it would be nice to be notified of interesting matches to watch (which can also serve as a way to learn about new players). But i'm not sure how to determine if a match is interesting - because score isn't it. Perhaps mention matches which have an average rating of at least 4 and on which at least 3 people have voted?