What are your current experiences with SGs like?

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Lyx

What are your current experiences with SGs like?

Post by Lyx » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:27 pm

From before preorders, i know shotgunners as shortrange nightmares - they'd basically win any fight if in range, if necessary against two or sometimes even 3 MGs.

In the recent week, i however often have seen situations where SGs in range get beaten by MGs, and the "enemy cover almost doest matter"-bit also sometimes did not seem to be the case in my matches.

So i'm wondering: Am i just lucky and its all a coincidence, or is this normal now? What are your experiences with SGs - in which situations do they lose?
Logo

Re: What are your current experiences with SGs like?

Post by Logo » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:33 pm

I notice them losing quite a bit as well, generally when losing in range vs MG I see them getting 1 shotted.

They excel at surprise flanks thanks to their run speed and gun speed so they're still good units to have. From a long term planning, I don't really have confidence in having an SG on one side of a 1/2 wall shoot something on the other side of the same 1/2 wall. It's just too likely they'll get lose the exchange for whatever reason.
Simulate: the answer to all of your problems.
Faxmachinen

Post by Faxmachinen » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:15 pm

I've only started playing recently, and so far my recipe for success is to keep my MGs a long way away from the enemy's shotgunners.
Koreg

Post by Koreg » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:41 pm

I've noticed a lot lately that shotgunners at their max fire range seem to lack a compared to a MG. They always get toasted with one round fired despite equal cover/movement/sight on both sides.
TheBeefiest

Post by TheBeefiest » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:48 pm

Yes they have definitely gone through a change, you need to aim them alot more than just running in now. Although i am still deathly scared of them anywhere near my doorways!
Lyx

Post by Lyx » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:10 pm

The "lose if barely in range"-bit is interesting, because... if i recall correctly, the fire range of the SG was increased sometime in the last 3 weeks before preorders. When i noticed that the first time, it seemed a bit weird to me - okay, the previous range seemed a bit too short, but the changed range seemed a bit much considering the power of the SG. If those thoughts are correct (and i'm not sure about this), then part of the story perhaps is, that the SG got a larger range, but stayed as powerful as it was known only at the old range, so that its range-performance ratio isn't "alwayskill-neverkill" but instead "alwayskill-perhapskill-neverkill".