Question: interest in Mac vs Windows statistics

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Omroth
Site Admin

Question: interest in Mac vs Windows statistics

Post by Omroth » Mon May 03, 2010 12:36 pm

Hey guys.

What level of interest is there in some kind of Mac vs PC stat displayed somewhere on the Sidebar? It would probably be the record in intra-mural games.

This is fairly easy to do but does require a bit of server-side coding - any opinions?

Thanks,
Ian
xgreen

Re: Question: interest in Mac vs Windows statistics

Post by xgreen » Mon May 03, 2010 12:45 pm

Personally not interested, probably cause i'm not a hardcore defender of my PC and don't consider Macs as the devils spawn ;)
zoog

Post by zoog » Mon May 03, 2010 1:18 pm

I don't know, I don't see any added value in it. Only potential downside IMO would be dividing people up in different "camps", you know, group dynamics and all. As longs as there is not a very good argument to implement, I wouldn't implement it.

Personally I'm more intersted in general Grand server stats :D
VexingVision

Post by VexingVision » Mon May 03, 2010 3:18 pm

Agreed with zoog - I'm a PC user, and I'm happy that some poor, game-deprived Mac-addicts are allowed to join the games. Personally, I don't need to know how many there are.

From a Marketing point of view, though, I figure that'd be an extremely useful statistic to have on your side, to see which direction of promotion of the game might be more worthwhile.
Epicurus

Post by Epicurus » Mon May 03, 2010 5:21 pm

I'm a mac user and not really interested in seeing this. I don't consider the choice of OS an important one at all.

However as VV said, it might be very useful for the developers, to know if it is worth focusing some ads at mac users.

There is probably an unusually large intersection between people who use macs and people who would be interested in playing FS: There's a shortage of games of this quality on the mac and also many mac users are college students.

Yep.
VVVVVVV
Last edited by Epicurus on Mon May 03, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zoog

Post by zoog » Mon May 03, 2010 8:11 pm

For marketing purposes there's no need to publish the PC vs Mac statistics though, they can easily harvest them without posting them in the game itself.
Faxmachinen

Post by Faxmachinen » Mon May 03, 2010 8:54 pm

How about letting the user specify an occupation, then pick two random ones to pit against one another?

Engineers vs. Bus Drivers:
3 - 3

The scores should probably be caclulated by wins per match played, unless you want to keep track of how many times an engineer has won over a bus driver and vice versa.
zoog

Post by zoog » Mon May 03, 2010 9:03 pm

lol, somehow that suggestion sounds very cool! I can imagine how there will be tournaments with students vs bus-drivers, unemployed vs plumbers, bankers vs salesman and stuff like global rankings. And a lot of competition, like teachers leading the first half of 2010 but then the it crowd try to steal their throne. I think those would be positive group dynamics :) Or maybe it's the beer talking... :shock:

But on the other hand, it's hard to really specify occupations, you probably need to keep it very general.
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Tue May 04, 2010 11:29 am

The community has spoken! Macs and PCs will embrace and fight as one.