New Grand Server patch goes live

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Omroth
Site Admin

New Grand Server patch goes live

Post by Omroth » Wed May 05, 2010 11:24 am

Hey guys.

The first part of the patch has just gone live - the new Grand Server. You shouldn't notice much change, except:

1. Improved feed and sidebar
2. A bit faster hopefully
3. You only see active games with a turn pending on the My Active Games sidebar - this already sounds like it might be a bit contentious, I can change it back easily.

This is for bug testing really, so fingers crossed it goes smoothly today. Patch will be available for download soon.

Ian
Ramsar

Re: New Grand Server patch goes live

Post by Ramsar » Wed May 05, 2010 11:36 am

- The loading of the feed and sidebar are definitely much faster.
- Sidebar is also much more user friendly now, though I'd still like to see the top 10 streaks and my place in daily duplicate and daily ranking. Maybe you could make it a tabbed sidebar in the future? (with tabs for streaks, daily duplicate, daily ranking and global ranking)
- As for only showing the active games with a new turn, I like it. If I want to see all my active games, I just go to my player page and check the blue ones.

I was wondering, does the sidebar show games with a new turn which are older than 2 days?
Last edited by Ramsar on Wed May 05, 2010 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VexingVision

Post by VexingVision » Wed May 05, 2010 11:53 am

Will we be still able to find our active games (that do not require turn-input right now) without accessing our own player profile?
mosimo

Post by mosimo » Wed May 05, 2010 12:00 pm

The new Active games thing gets a bit of getting used to. I would like to see another bit on the sidebar for "Open Games". It is nice having it only show new games for those that have a lot of open games. But this way it does mean people will see nothing in their active games list and just start more. Then probably log in the next day and think "where the hell did these 20 games come from"

Other than that, the news feed looks nicer with more text in it. Server is playing well so far, but it has only just started back up. Sidebar with the new rankings and only showing some scores is a lot more friendly. Oh and I noticed the server now knows what a draw is.. yay :D
[DTE] Dirty Tubular Excavators- http://dtegaming.com/ - #DTE @ irc.gamesurge.net

Frozen Synapse Tray Notification Program- view download thread here
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Wed May 05, 2010 12:11 pm

though I'd still like to see the top 10 streaks and my place in daily duplicate and daily ranking
You should see that - you may not be in the daily rankings if you haven't played for 24 hours, but you should definitely see yourself in the global rankings.

When you can add friends to your friends lists tomorrow you will also see them in the leaderboards.
Ramsar

Post by Ramsar » Wed May 05, 2010 12:26 pm

I do see my score for the global ranking. If possible I would like to see the same for the daily rankings and the streak.

And I have another question about the duplicate scoring system. I saw the following on a game page:
Ramsar beat mosimo with a score of 30
Ramsar vs mosimo (Map score: 30.0) Ramsar: 0%, mosimo: 100%

Can you explain why I get 0%? Or am I missing something...
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Wed May 05, 2010 12:51 pm

You get 0% because all of the other people who played the same side as you on that map did better than you. If you look at the other "map scores", they should all be higher than 30.
Ramsar

Post by Ramsar » Wed May 05, 2010 1:04 pm

I was the first that played that map and that's why it said 0% apparently. Now a second person has played the map, lost and now I have 100% where it used to say 0%. Could it be that at first it didn't have scores to compare with and therefore gave me 0% although I won and was the best (because I was the first to play the map)?
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Wed May 05, 2010 1:12 pm

You should have 50% at that point - I'll check that out. Thanks Ramsar.
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Wed May 05, 2010 1:16 pm

It's looking a bit slow to me right now - I'm going to keep an eye on it. Can people please report if they find it particularly slower than previously?

And I REALLY wish our ISP would give me the new server machine.
Ramsar

Post by Ramsar » Wed May 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Omroth wrote:You should have 50% at that point - I'll check that out. Thanks Ramsar.
No problem. Are you also planning to include a global duplicate ranking?
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Wed May 05, 2010 1:30 pm

I am, definitely.