2 questions before I buy.

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Cerebus

2 questions before I buy.

Post by Cerebus » Wed May 05, 2010 5:14 pm

I wonder if anybody could answer a couple of queries I have before I take the plunge and buy what looks to be an awesome game.

Firstly. Can you see all your opponents men at all times? Or are only ones in your los visible to you?
Secondly. Do you plan your moves for the entire game before submitting, or is it plan, submit, plan submit, etc How long does a game turn represent?

Thanks for any help. I must say the graphics on this game are simple yet stunning, reminds me of Defcon.
Gnarf

Re: 2 questions before I buy.

Post by Gnarf » Wed May 05, 2010 5:50 pm

Cerebus wrote:Firstly. Can you see all your opponents men at all times? Or are only ones in your los visible to you?
There's a "dark" and a "light" variation of each game-mode. In the light ones, you see your opponents men always. In dark, not so much (but you do (at least in extermination) see the starting positions of them enemies either way).

Once the match is over with, you can see where all the guys were at all times.
Cerebus wrote:Secondly. Do you plan your moves for the entire game before submitting, or is it plan, submit, plan submit, etc How long does a game turn represent?
Plan, submit, plan, submit and so on. Each turn is 5 seconds by default.
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus » Wed May 05, 2010 6:15 pm

Thanks very much Gnarf. Where is my credit card? It needs some action... :D

I see it runs pretty much like pbem. Can it be played "live". So if I've got a mate on the end of the internet I can play without having to wait for the server to update. Or is it pretty quick anyway. I know Laser Squad Nemesis tended to have a delay if the servers were busy.
Ramsar

Post by Ramsar » Wed May 05, 2010 6:21 pm

You can definitely play it live, it only takes seconds to load your opponents turn.
Cerebus

Post by Cerebus » Wed May 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Excellent. Thanks Ramsar
VexingVision

Post by VexingVision » Wed May 05, 2010 8:49 pm

While logged in (even if you're browsing statistics or doing turns for another game), you get a pop up informing you anytime an opponent has submitted a turn in one of your active games.

If both players are connected, the downtime between the last player submitting their turn and both players planning the next move is literally zero.