"Essential" features

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Ornithopter

Re: "Essential" features

Postby Ornithopter » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:16 pm

Games timeout after 2 weeks, and the player who did not submit a turn loses, unless the game is still on turn 1, in which case it's a draw, effectively enabling the "round 0" you're asking for, without creating the need for another turn before the actual game starts, which would be annoying at PBEM speeds.

Ability to save plans would be an awesome feature, though.
voidholder

Postby voidholder » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:09 pm

Ornithopter wrote:Games timeout after 2 weeks, and the player who did not submit a turn loses, unless the game is still on turn 1, in which case it's a draw, effectively enabling the "round 0" you're asking for, without creating the need for another turn before the actual game starts, which would be annoying at PBEM speeds.

Except that they don't time out properly, meaning adjusting the scores:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3124&start=15

We must have:
1. Challenge system where you can see
- opponents name (not stats, that shouldn't affect if you want to play or not)
- if it was a random pairing or direct challenge
- is it a random setup or not
- the map and units.
Then can decide if you want to play it or not, changing the status of the game to ongoing. Could track the acceptance rate of everyone too if this is seen to cause too many denials.
2. Functioning penalties for not finishing games, slightly worse hit than losing all your remaining units so that not finishing is never an advantageous option. Maximum remaining score for winner.
3. Active developers/community managers in the forums! This game seems like it is dying when it clearly should not.
4. Much more stable servers.
5. More options to random opponent search and the ability to leave search open to the server until an opponent is found etc not so critical stuff...
Shaws

Postby Shaws » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:21 pm

(1) Fix the timeout of games where players suddenly quit playing. This, to me, is very important.

(2) Remove rating from customized games.
Zindaras

Postby Zindaras » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:11 am

1) When a player stops playing after turn 1, he should lose the game with the maximum amount of points he could still lose by.

2) I actually think a turn 0 where both players agree to play the game might be useful.

3) Please install a button which allows me to punch myself in the face or call myself all sorts of bad names on command. Given the way this recent game has been going, I'd even accept a button which allows all my units to commit seppuku to maintain at least some honour after all the mistakes I've been making.

4) At least some simulations beyond the current turn would be nice. At the very least, I want to be able to see how and where my explosives explode in the future.

Postby 777 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:42 am

voidholder wrote:
Ornithopter wrote:Games timeout after 2 weeks, and the player who did not submit a turn loses, unless the game is still on turn 1, in which case it's a draw, effectively enabling the "round 0" you're asking for, without creating the need for another turn before the actual game starts, which would be annoying at PBEM speeds.

Except that they don't time out properly, meaning adjusting the scores:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3124&start=15

We must have:
1.//SNIP //
2. Functioning penalties for not finishing games, slightly worse hit than losing all your remaining units so that not finishing is never an advantageous option. Maximum remaining score for winner.
3. Active developers/community managers in the forums! This game seems like it is dying when it clearly should not.//SNIP //

Fully agree with your suggestions. Having a universally applied and understood "abandoned game" policy is critical to keep the game viable, IMO.

Zindaras's idea of awarding maximum remaining points to non-abandoning player sounds spot on to A) eliminate this behavior, and B) make time-outs actually something an active player might look forward to, and rewarding active players is what a successful multiplayer game is all about.... Given my current (limited?) understanding of the different modes, this is a simple calculation of the score where all of the abandoning player's remaining units are killed immediately.
Pellefant

Postby Pellefant » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:48 am

As multiple other players now has commented and understood what I meant with a "round 0" there is no need for me to clarify this further, but that response of a turn 0 in effect is existing - is of course dead wrong.

There seems to be more players suffering from the problem of playing games that never finishes. And I have noticed players now use the chat feature more efficiently to confirm if the game will be played. As have I started to.

The problem is that this is not a solution but in fact lead to bigger problems.
If players do not join the game after a little while and I don't see them working on their move or I cannot chat with them - I (recently) have started actively to hide those games. This solves my immediate problem, but of course people playing me will have my previous problem. They are now wasting time on a game that won't be played. And if more players start to use this tactic then the rate of unplayed games will of course increase in frequency.

I do not know if you have statistics on an increase in unplayed games. But this has the potential of ruining much of the fun. I don't think anyone enjoy playing a game where you do spend a lot of time without knowing if it's of any use at all.

Im reluctant to add more further suggestions as this might overshadow my previous point, but I want to note that voidholder had some really valid points about other relevant information which is essential before such an round 0 agreement can be made between players.
Zindaras

Postby Zindaras » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:53 pm

So I thought a bit about this on my way home today: I think that the most essential feature that FS needs right now is a better matchmaking engine. Most users haven't played ten games yet. The top is very active, and then there are a couple of people below that who have made it to a hundred games. There's a clear distribution there, and it's obvious why: losing just isn't fun. The easiest solution to this, and the main way to make this game interesting to everyone, not just the top players, is to make sure that everyone wins, and therefore there has to be a good matchmaking system. I suggest a system that looks for people who've been online over the past 24 hours rather than just now so that people of similar levels can be found more easily. This would be a yellow button or something, something which can be in between red and orange. I think people care more about the experience than about the speed of said experience.
Shaws

Postby Shaws » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:38 pm

Zindaras wrote:So I thought a bit about this on my way home today: I think that the most essential feature that FS needs right now is a better matchmaking engine. Most users haven't played ten games yet. The top is very active, and then there are a couple of people below that who have made it to a hundred games. There's a clear distribution there, and it's obvious why: losing just isn't fun. The easiest solution to this, and the main way to make this game interesting to everyone, not just the top players, is to make sure that everyone wins, and therefore there has to be a good matchmaking system. I suggest a system that looks for people who've been online over the past 24 hours rather than just now so that people of similar levels can be found more easily. This would be a yellow button or something, something which can be in between red and orange. I think people care more about the experience than about the speed of said experience.

This needs a serious bump. It would fix the relevance of the ranking system (right now you can get to the top playing rank10000000 guys - making the top10 list fairly pointless), and it would make the game more fun for everyone.
When I run over players who do their first game, that doesn't exactly encourage them to try again. And if they do, and they meet more experienced guys who also (much too) easily defeats them, then odds are they soon stop trying.
commathe

Postby commathe » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:43 am

Shaws wrote:
Zindaras wrote:So I thought a bit about this on my way home today: I think that the most essential feature that FS needs right now is a better matchmaking engine. Most users haven't played ten games yet. The top is very active, and then there are a couple of people below that who have made it to a hundred games. There's a clear distribution there, and it's obvious why: losing just isn't fun. The easiest solution to this, and the main way to make this game interesting to everyone, not just the top players, is to make sure that everyone wins, and therefore there has to be a good matchmaking system. I suggest a system that looks for people who've been online over the past 24 hours rather than just now so that people of similar levels can be found more easily. This would be a yellow button or something, something which can be in between red and orange. I think people care more about the experience than about the speed of said experience.

This needs a serious bump. It would fix the relevance of the ranking system (right now you can get to the top playing rank10000000 guys - making the top10 list fairly pointless), and it would make the game more fun for everyone.
When I run over players who do their first game, that doesn't exactly encourage them to try again. And if they do, and they meet more experienced guys who also (much too) easily defeats them, then odds are they soon stop trying.
Yeah. Matchmaking is kind of guff right now. I'm lucky to play against someone at the same level as me. I either steamroll or get steamrolled. Offline challenges as part of matchmaking would be great. Maybe there can be a tick box in your preferences or on your profile or something? Make the system pass over people who haven't logged in for a week or something.

I nearly caved in and gave up at the beginning, but then after playing some single player I came back.
Zindaras

Postby Zindaras » Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:54 pm

Shaws wrote:

This is an aside, but the Elo system makes the top 10 far more relevant: it would be very hard to make it to the top 10 playing only very lowly-ranked players, because the system expects you to win the game, and win by a significant difference. The old system was far less fair in this.
Dingo

Postby Dingo » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:11 am

Aim "jitter" wherein you are moving in one direction and the enemy is moving away such that LOS is continuously established and broken. This is actually a fairly large problem, as it can completely paralyze a unit due to the delay between aim / attack starting over entirely whenever LOS is lost.
Moe45673

Postby Moe45673 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:38 pm

I was actually just coming in to message about this. I love this game...... this and SpaceChem are probably my two desert island games. I don't play it nearly enough, however.

I'm lucky enough to have a few friends I can play against and get better against playing a human rather than the somewhat predictable (though far from stupid) AI. However, when the number of online players goes from 400+ (when I bought it) on the UK1 server to 33, I worry about the game dying out. Clearly, as a PBEM game, 33 is not representative of the total number of active players.

What this game needs is a way to search for recently online players. I propose three factors in addition to the matchmaking

1) Recently online (let's go for within the past week)
2) number of logins over the past month (this allows to filter out those who play the game once or twice then move on to something more sparkly)
3) a flag set by the offline player to allow for game requests even when not online. To plan in advance for the possibility of a user being swarmed by requests, the flag will take the users name off the list if he has 3 requests and also will not allow any more than three requests (in case 5 people click on the persons name at the same time or manually type in his name to request a game or some other way of requesting a game without clicking a random name off the list). This number is of course switchable by the user.
DonQuijano

Postby DonQuijano » Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:18 pm

I have a couple of ideas. I don't consider all of them "Absolutely essential for the game, but I think some are.

+More customizable replay system. I want to be able to show, if I want:
-at which point there is a turn change
-Orders for every unit (with all the orders appearing for 1 or 2 seconds at the beginning of every turn. Or pause at the start of every turn, then every individual order appears one after the other (for every soldier at the same time), then the turn is played; repeat until end of game. That would be awesome!)
-Initial and final ratings, and some stats (number of kills per side, match duration, number of turns taken, and maybe more like number of orders issued... etc)

I think this would greatly benefit the whole community, and especially the newer players who want improve and learn from the veterans. Currently I don't want to share or upload replays because the people watching them must be very knowledgeable about FS to truly appreciate what's happening, and even then it's hard to see if a match is truly "good" or the player just had luck. With these changes, even a guy who never played FS would understand the match and most of what's happening. This would also help publicize FS, because you could share your replays with your "regular" friends (non FS players) and say "Look at this, I just kicked this guy's ass :D" or "%$&#, I've just had my ass handed to me, look at this :(" -Friend: "And what's that?" -You: "An awesome game I play regularly :D". You get the idea.

+Have an option added to the "traffic lights" system, to keep challenging people until I have [N] open games. This should work automatically whenever a game is finished, so I can log in and always have some active games.

+"Copy link to this game to clipboard", with the format " [GameType]: [Player1] vs [Player2], [Gamenumber]". If finished, append "[Player1] won in turn [T] by [X] killed to [Y]".

This would help share games with other players in a simple way, and would help organizing tournaments and the like.

Hope this was constructive. I especially want to emphasyze the replays thing, because I find that critical. The automatch thing would help greatly too.
Maikel

Postby Maikel » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:33 pm

An easy implementable feature to keep players "in the game"

By using a small (out of game screen) bar for loading calculations instead of having to watch loading screens for 10% of playtime. Rather see how the situation was before the calculate as a say static image so the players can keep thinking about followup moves instead of taken out of the game.

Best regards,

Maikel,
Programmer

Return to “General”