"Essential" features

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Argumento

Re: "Essential" features

Postby Argumento » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:16 pm

• Plans need to persist when swapping between games. If I'm pondering a move when a turn comes in from a different game, I should be able to swap to the other game, make my move there, and then go back to the first game without losing my plan. This could also be fixed by being able to have multiple games open and tabbing between them.
  • If the above can't be fixed, I'd at least appreciate a way to mute/unmute game sounds without losing my plan.
  • Either make in-game chat messages persist between load screens (attach P2P chat to the main chat window instead of to games?) or remove in-game chat altogether. It's frustrating as hell to see I've got an unread message but be unable to get to it before it's lost into the void because I was looking at a different game at the time.
  • The ability to edit plans and simulate different outcomes when watching a replay (i.e. what if I'd done this instead? Could I have saved that unit, given hindsight of my opponent's plan?)
  • Related, the ability to export the start of a turn from a replay as a custom map. This is essential for teaching the game, because you can go back after a game and re-play from Turn X.
  • The ability to show a dark-mode replay from either player's perspective, so you know what they saw and when.
thinkTank

Postby thinkTank » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:52 am

A cooldown timer on rocket/grenade soldiers, so we'll know when they'll be ready to fire again.

"Turning off" a ghost so they don't interrupt your tests
D-Man777

Postby D-Man777 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:19 pm

Pardon me if this has already been suggested, but nine pages of posts was more than I had time to peruse.

I'd like to see a "floorplan mode". Yes, I know the game is already a top-down view showing the floorplan. But often I find the 3D walls to be more of a hindrance than a help. Do they look cool? Yes, of course. But often when zoomed out over the center of the map, it can be hard to get a true look at placement of periphery units and difficult to place aim points for rockets and grenades without zooming/panning the map to get that precise look directly down the walls.

If we could just toggle the 3D surfaces of the walls on and off, this would be a big help. The shades of blue would still indicate full-height/half-height walls for determining cover, but without all the fine manipulation of the view.

Thanks for your time, and for an outstanding gem of a game.

D-
icebrain

Postby icebrain » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:14 am

D-Man777 wrote:If we could just toggle the 3D surfaces of the walls on and off, this would be a big help.

I had the same idea few days ago. Really the 3D of this game brings issues more than something else, 2D was perfect. In the level editor we can already toggle walls to 2D.

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News

icebrain

Postby icebrain » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:23 pm

Srekel wrote:
reking wrote:More hotkeys. Hotkeys to play, pause, rewind, and go to previous or next 5-sec-part would be great.

Space plays and pauses. Backspace rewinds, but not always. Seems to be a bug there.

I thought there was no shortcut to rewind but apparently is has been in since beta.
E also rewinds. Notice that you must first select your unit / plan around for rewind to work and that it only works for active games, not finished ones (for those it jumps at the end).

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News

Crow

Postby Crow » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:25 am

A rules of engagement mode between 'engage on sight', and 'continue on sight'. Right now, dynamic room entries are impossible (shotgunners locking down rooms because everyone stops in the doorway to engage), and squads can't pull their own security on the move without getting split up and bogged down if they spot hostiles (the only other option is to ignore the hostiles).

We need a 'shoot on the move' mode, with suitable reduction in accuracy/possibly movement speed.
Kamamura

Postby Kamamura » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:59 am

Dynamically updated field of visions for the vatforms is the only essential feature I miss literally every second I play the game. It's so obvious that I can't really understand how the game could be made without it. Commandos had it, FS does not. In a deterministic game, precision is super-important - and the GUI can't even tell me how far my shotgun shoots or what do I see and what I don't?

The "v" tool us crude and insufficient.
Kamamura

Postby Kamamura » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:19 am

Moreover, client version number should be clearly visible on the client's home screen. The clients should also auto-update themselves to enforce all players have the same, latest version.
AlanStock

Postby AlanStock » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:43 pm

The ability to watch a whole game back without having to click on each turn (and without having to export it as a video). I've heard a number of people ask about how to do this in chat as well. It's annoying and breaks the flow to have to click on each turn number to watch a game as it progresses. It would also be quite handy to have this feature available during games too, not just afterwards - for example to get an overview of tactics the opponent is using or track the progress of a single unit. My suggestion would be to have a button on the Turn numbers panel which is like a Replay All. Maybe a second button to put it into the YouTube video cinematic style too.
Mnky

Postby Mnky » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:07 pm

An indicator of whether a match has been tweaked in 'advanced setup'. At the moment it seems to be impossible to tell whether a player has modified units/positions to give themselves an advantage. I don't think this is an issue for normal games but it could break tournaments.
SoujiroSeta

Postby SoujiroSeta » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:33 am

I think a current score HUD in disputed games would be helpfull. That way you can easily now how many boxes your opponent is currently owning.

Keep up the good work guys :)
zarakon

Postby zarakon » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:37 pm

When working with plan layers, it can sometimes become difficult to find the beginning and end of the plan because the Prev and Next buttons just wrap around. If I have a repeated route where the beginning, middle, and end all look the same, it's almost impossible to navigate.

Possible solutions:
a) Make the Prev/Next buttons stop at the first and last layers of the plan
b) Add an indicator for which layer of the plan is currently shown
c) Add buttons to select the First/Last layers.

The in-game chat feature would be much better if each game had its own chat log attached to it. Ideally you could send your opponent a message while he's offline or otherwise not viewing the game, and he would see it the next time he viewed the game.
schpat

Postby schpat » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:53 pm

Chat per game is essential, so that messages sent when a player is offline can be read later

IRC is not a great way to communicate when people have different schedules.
FinalBoss

Postby FinalBoss » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:17 am

This has likely been mentioned before, but I think it's quite strange that there is no indicator that lets you know when your opponent has locked-in their move.

I'm assuming that since this is such an obvious omission, there must be some sort of reasoning behind it. Are we afraid that people would refuse to be the first to lock-in in random match-ups? It would definitely make my "casual/friendly" matches a lot easier to play at least. I get tired of having to keep asking if they're done with their move. Don't want to keep friends waiting too long after they've locked in, but I don't want to rush myself for no reason...
zarakon

Postby zarakon » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:47 am

Showing that could give away hints about how complicated the enemy's plan is

Return to “General”