"Essential" features

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Omroth
Site Admin

"Essential" features

Postby Omroth » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:18 pm

Hey guys.

As you all know, FS is currently in beta. As such, I'm sure there are a lot of things which you guys assume will be fixed/added, and are thus not talking about. To make sure that I'm on the same page, it would be really helpful if you guys could work out what they are and post them here.

To be clear: this is not about obvious bugs. If things just clearly don't work as they should, then that's not what I'm looking for here. I'm looking for things which don't work as well as you'd like, or missing features that you think are completely essential, or things which you just think are crap right now.

Basically: what kind of stuff would it surprise you, and quite possibly anger you, if I didn't fix before release.

Ian
Neofish

Re: "Essential" features

Postby Neofish » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:07 pm

I thought what could be nice is an additional UI box to display lists of commands you'll be issuing to the selected unit, allowing reordering and stuff without having to fiddle around as much. Tbf the bugs are what makes it hard to actually use, but I think this'd be nice. Similarly the dependance on keyboard isn't very flexible so more ui additions please :p
Killili

Postby Killili » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:25 pm

The handling of more than 1 game isnt that great atm.

Example:
I play 2 games at once and everytime i switch, i lose the chat history and my opponent is not able to send new lines
and all commands i have given and not submited are also lost.

Solution:
Something like Tabs in a browser, so i can quickly switch between my open games.
Goateh

Postby Goateh » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:26 pm

Game Browser

A more complete game browser. Right now it's functional and lets you find your games but the summary screen could do with more info (game type stands out, date of last turn, date started, whose turn is being waited on). Similarly, a way to filter within that. For an idea of what I mean look at a typical online game server browser. You can filter the list and reorder it by the different columns. It's also something core enough that I'd like the ability to put it in its own window apart from the normal menu window. At 1600x1200 (or the one below in window mode) the menu is very sparse and I'd like to be able to use more of the screen for the big lists where I can.

UI Feel

A more 'responsive' UI. It's hard to describe exactly what is missing, but the current UI doesn't provide much feedback that things are happening. If things are fast it's not so bad but when the server starts to crawl a bit the delays become very noticable. For example, I can click on a game and it takes 10 seconds to load. The obvious one is some kind of loading cursor or a message in the corner that tells you it's loading. Obviously you don't want to lock up the UI while waiting on a server so I'm afraid I don't have good suggestions of how you'd go about changing something so vague. Not loading a second game while a first game is loading might be handy.

Relatively minor, but the menu behaviour isn't all that intuitive. If you click the cross on the corner of the menu you close the whole game. However, if I'm in a game that's playing out and click menu I can still see the game in the background. The obvious thing to return to the game is to click the X of the menu, not load the game from the library/active games. Like the responsiveness, it's easy to adjust to this, but it certainly doesn't feel like I'd expect it to.

In summary - the current system feels more like a console style design where you're performing one task at a time even though the design implies that you could be multitasking.

Notification

The system tray program here is great. I'd like to see something like that properly integrated so I could run it as a notification program without having to keep the main game open. It could get notifications of challenges, new turns, etc direct from the server.
Last edited by Goateh on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ramsar

Postby Ramsar » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:45 pm

Just a quick question, how should the things posted in this thread be different from those in the Wishlist thread?
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:20 pm

The wishlist is for things you would like to see, this thread is for things you would be angry if you don't see.
Kimau

Postby Kimau » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:34 pm

UI rework and general speed up and optimisation of game switching & loading.

Seriously the only reason I don't scream at the UI is the fact I know it's beta
Surge

Postby Surge » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:50 am

I'll second the UI rework.

The whole thing needs alot of work. I only find it bearable because of the beta tag.
Cyron

Postby Cyron » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:45 am

Further development of the UI in regards to ignore/focus, look etc, features which you currently need to know about to use, otherwise you miss out on them (ie, use t to set a zone, crtl-click to "look" etc). How these are developed I don't care, but I don't like the feeling that I've got a larger toolset to use than my opponent
TheBeefiest

Postby TheBeefiest » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:00 pm

I will be highly angry via forehead vein throbbing if more people aren't around to play with.
So to succeed in that regard, i think it would help to have a nice user friendly polish on all the little things. UI ease of use and minor bugs. Just to keep new players around long enough so they can taste the deliciousness that is Frozen Synapse.
wasoota

Postby wasoota » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:53 pm

A "Re-Play" button to play the exact same map again.
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:17 am

Wasoota - with the same person? In the same direction?
wasoota

Postby wasoota » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Omroth wrote:Wasoota - with the same person? In the same direction?

Sure, why not. Both. :)

I play a lot vs. AI and usually I'd like to see if I can do better the second time.
limavictor426

Postby limavictor426 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:38 pm

Set up a league table thats permanent. Have three leagues, Rookie, Veteran and Elite. That way its not an endless list and the next goal is not insurmountable.
You could put an option in to make it a friendly so you can play a game without it affecting your score.
Have a list where players can post a challenge they want to play and it is displayed on that list. Most times I want to play is when no one else is on line...the "you should be playing in 30 seconds" is not happening...have a list of posted challenges, would allow plyer choice and more "remote"playing.
"Good play inspires luck,bad players moan about it"
wasoota

Postby wasoota » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:07 pm

wasoota wrote:
Omroth wrote:Wasoota - with the same person? In the same direction?

Sure, why not. Both. :)

I play a lot vs. AI and usually I'd like to see if I can do better the second time.

Also, it would be fun to re-play other people's games. Like load them from the archive and play them. Some random maps are very deep and offer a lot of possibilities, it's a shame they get dumped on the 'history' pile after just one game.

Return to “General”