"Essential" features

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Shardz

Re: "Essential" features

Postby Shardz » Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 am

DrazharLn wrote:"Inherent unit motion", what's that? The running animation they have when moving?

Re: your other stuff, it sounds like what you want is for Ian to change the game into something else in the few weeks before release. The architecture of Frozen Synapse likely doesn't even have support for HP! Are these really things you'd be angry about not being in the final release? If so, I expect you will be angry at release. 8)

As for games with >2 players, that would be pretty sweet. I suspect we won't see it before release (if at all), though.

I never said anything about being angry or changing the game around...I was just throwing some ideas out there as those are some things I would be interested in implementing if this were my project. I literally just stumbled upon this game days ago and bought it and really don't know much about the general direction yet as info seems to be scarce regarding future features. I do tend to appreciate the single player skirmishes more than anything else, but I'm already winning 4/5 games versus the AI after 2 days time. I do believe there is quite a bit of growth to this project yet...whether it is before release or in the form of expansions has yet to be seen.
DrazharLn

Postby DrazharLn » Thu May 12, 2011 6:21 pm

To be clear: this is not about obvious bugs. If things just clearly don't work as they should, then that's not what I'm looking for here. I'm looking for things which don't work as well as you'd like, or missing features that you think are completely essential, or things which you just think are crap right now.

Basically: what kind of stuff would it surprise you, and quite possibly anger you, if I didn't fix before release.

Ian

This thread is about stuff that might make you angry if it was excluded from the game. If you haven't played the campaign or multiplayer (especially the multiplayer) I would recommend you check them out. There's a lot of depth to the game and some neat things you can do. Although you might not see it now, I am confident that something like a backup weapon for classes could break the game. And adding HP definitely would break the game as we know it.

There is room for improvement, certainly. And I hope that FS will continue to be updated and improved for a good while yet.
bubleeshaark

Postby bubleeshaark » Fri May 13, 2011 2:54 am

After every game I go back and re-watch all of the turns; I assume everybody else does too? I would love a 'replay all' button, where all turns are played out consecutively without pause.
Shardz

Postby Shardz » Sat May 14, 2011 1:45 am

bubleeshaark wrote:After every game I go back and re-watch all of the turns; I assume everybody else does too? I would love a 'replay all' button, where all turns are played out consecutively without pause.

This.

I was going to put that on my list in addendum, but figured it was either; 1) going to be included later, 2) not an "angry" enough feature, or 3) a complete waste of time. I'm still undecided as to which.
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Sat May 14, 2011 8:00 am

I removed my post because has no "angry" features.
Last edited by wonderhero on Sun May 15, 2011 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
bubleeshaark

Postby bubleeshaark » Sun May 15, 2011 12:19 am

Shardz wrote:
bubleeshaark wrote:After every game I go back and re-watch all of the turns; I assume everybody else does too? I would love a 'replay all' button, where all turns are played out consecutively without pause.

This.

I was going to put that on my list in addendum, but figured it was either; 1) going to be included later, 2) not an "angry" enough feature, or 3) a complete waste of time. I'm still undecided as to which.

To 1, it must be included later
To 2, this thread is only for "angry" features? It does not include obvious necessities? I'm not talking about options that different users would have different opinions on. But what I suggested is something everybody would like (including yourself!). If there is one frozen synapse player who does not think they would use this then I must be mistaken.
To 3, a waste of time to who, the developer? Is not the developer trying to make the best game possible in order to sell more games? So I suppose you would say that work is a waste of time? GET REAL!
MrP1us

Postby MrP1us » Wed May 18, 2011 4:16 pm

Srekel wrote:New player here; played 6-10 missions in the campaign, a MP game and a few instant skirmishes. Here are some things that I expect/hope to be fixed for the final version:

Also, when zooming in, waypoints would do better to not stay the same world size - if I have more than one in a tight area, it's hard to see which one is which and can be hard to click the right one. It would be better if they scaled a little too, to be a mix between screenspace and worldspace size.. if that makes sense. :)

I agree, and I also think that the icons should do the same thing, as they tend to get in the way when zoomed in.
jawdirk

Postby jawdirk » Fri May 20, 2011 8:39 am

You should be able to put a message in a game when the other player is offline, that they will see when they load the game to play their turn. It would be nice if the messages were saved with the turns, so they would appear as the game was replayed.

+1 choose not to play a direct challenge before you look at it.

When you are watching a game, you should be able to click the players name in the game to go to their profile.
When you finish watching a game, it should take you back to where you clicked the link to watch the game.

The first time I saw those "X has challenged you to a game" messages in the lower left, I tried to click the red stop light to turn them off, and got assigned a random game. I didn't like that. Let us set our status to "no challenges," "view challenges," or "make challenges."
DrazharLn

Postby DrazharLn » Fri May 20, 2011 10:08 am

jawdirk wrote:The first time I saw those "X has challenged you to a game" messages in the lower left, I tried to click the red stop light to turn them off, and got assigned a random game. I didn't like that. Let us set our status to "no challenges," "view challenges," or "make challenges."

This is a known bug, afaik Omroth/Ian (the developer) intends to fix it before release.
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Sun May 22, 2011 8:53 am

I will pass my post from "Wishlist thread" to "angry feature":
My question:
How can I have games against players of a specific category (beginner, advance and expert) because the current system will find any players that set green button and the same modes you selected ?
The answer is:
"Use IRC and ask who wants to play with you!" like Omroth usually does. I have to change in "I wanna a easy or non easy game" or "I wanna a game with a high or low rank player". It's sound silly and strange, but I will pass over.
But not all players are in IRC. So how can I reach to them ? I have to use PM in forum and ask them "Hi! What kind of game do you prefer ?" and wait some days until they respond. Good way to make new friends, but some of them don't ever use forum. So how can I reach to them ? Is not easy because I don't want to be a detective :D
To challenge a non "IRC and forum" player, the final awkward solution is to directly address them different types of game modes until they like and accept its. Will be a long list of unwanted challenges because every player has own modes preferences.

That's why I proposed to have a option "prefer challenge from/to advance/beginner/expert/any players"
kor

Postby kor » Tue May 24, 2011 10:13 am

Essential:
Save assigned moves locally (to players HDD) as they are placed in case of a server crash, game crash, computer crash etc.
- Rather annoying when you just finish placing your whole team's exact waypoints, aiming, ignoring, ducking, standing, focusing, waiting (... what else is there? :P I think you get my point).

Multi-player with more players than 1 vs 1 >:D
MrP1us

Postby MrP1us » Tue May 24, 2011 8:08 pm

Something that I have been really frustrated with is the timing feature. It is useful, but most of the time I find that I need it to keep counting down, even if I engage an enemy. Then what happens is if I engage an enemy, the rest of my timing is way off. Should be something that is easy to implement, and if others don't want it like that, then just have an option to turn it on or off. Hopefully I'm not the only one that needs to have this feature : )
Axons_Amok

Postby Axons_Amok » Wed May 25, 2011 12:11 am

Don't know if it was mentioned previously but it would be HUGE to have the option to array the turns/play/pause UI block vertically on the side. I find myself needing the screen real estate at the bottom way more often than the sides.

I'd also like to be able to click-hold on the gameplay area and drag it around, as opposed to using the keyboard. Or at least be able to remap the arrow key functions to WASD. But those two are wishlist, not essentials, for me (and I'll repost them in that thread).
Aglari

Postby Aglari » Wed May 25, 2011 6:57 am

For dark games, there needs be a way to view the game from only a certain player's perspective. I want to see what my opponent saw when they made decisions.

Also, on top of the play all turns as I've seen mentioned, it would be good if replays could be slowed down.
kor

Postby kor » Thu May 26, 2011 11:45 pm

Axons_Amok wrote:Don't know if it was mentioned previously but it would be HUGE to have the option to array the turns/play/pause UI block vertically on the side. I find myself needing the screen real estate at the bottom way more often than the sides.

I'd also like to be able to click-hold on the gameplay area and drag it around, as opposed to using the keyboard. Or at least be able to remap the arrow key functions to WASD. But those two are wishlist, not essentials, for me (and I'll repost them in that thread).

I agree with your first request, I'd prefer that also.

"click-hold on the gameplay area and drag it around". You can already do this. I can't double check atm, but I believe you just right click and drag.

Return to “General”