"Essential" features

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

flap

Re: "Essential" features

Postby flap » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:55 pm

Hotseat, and LAN !
With a group of friends we do organize lan sessions every month. And we can't play FS... (For those who will ask : No, not every place in the world is connected to the net)
icebrain

Postby icebrain » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:15 pm

This post is part of my feedback.

• Show units visibility (cone of sight) and weapon range (circle around unit and/or target) AT ALL TIME {greatly eases planning}
• Allow creation of multiple plans for each unit so that it’s easier and faster to compare which is best for other units’ plans.
• Snap rocket target to grid so that it’s easier to hit the wall without zooming etc.
• Show rocket’s path (and not rocket aiming direction) when aiming from a WP.
• Shortcut to create the WPs and orders to take a corner.
• Display unit on selected WP
• Display estimated timestamp on WPs.
• [new control] Cycle through WPs.
• [new control] Go back to 0 on the timeline.
• [new control] Rock map (North, South, East & West) - replaces scroll & zoom to see behind walls {in the manner of a balance board game}
• Keep orders at the same "time" when stretching or shrinking path (moving WP)

• Scoring: killing enemy 10points (reference), killing enemy while unseen by him 15, taking hostage 20, killing taken hostage 5, killing friendly -15, killing self -20
• Dramatization of outcome - use unfreeze/faster motion sound and animation, zoom on gunfights and slow down action
• Varied environments - could be snow and ice, sand desert, forest, jungle (ideally for Camouflage mode) or office, laboratory, street, airport, factory, hotel...
• Less explosive units by default, 1 for 5 seems a good maximum {they make planning a lot more complicated and change the goal from killing to surviving}
• [new game type] Postponed game - replaces the current MP game type, now the player has one week to submit his turn, if he doesn’t it is submitted for him without any units doing anything so that the other player who wants to finish the game can. (*1)The auto submitting should only kick in in the second turn because FS currently doesn't guaranty that players play the games they want, so a player can legitimately not play the first turn (same for Immediate type) {ideal for players with little time}
• [new game type] Immediate - 30 minutes per turn, maximum of 1 other immediate game can be created or played, no other postponed game can be created or played until all immediate games are finished. {ideal for players who want to have another player in front of them to chat with}
• Smaller path and WPs for an easier planning of dense WPs.
• Handcrafted maps, they were listed in the features but there aren’t any since they are all partially or totally generated.
• More varied death and corpse animations.
• Units voices
• Customizable controls
• No notification displayed while playing a game.
• Access main menu without having to quit a game and then reload it.
• Remove transparency of the map that shows background cubes that are confused with walls.
• Show in detail which game you are challenged to (type, mode, mission, map, units) and by who (stats)
• True MP chat system
• In-game manual with full details on maps, game types, game modes, mission types, units (range speed etc), orders etc
• Redesign UI from scratch.
• Base Campaign scoring on kills, losses, saves, objectives and turns.
• Submit Campaign missions’ scores online.
• Better OS integration for saving options, username, campaign etc
• Encounter details {bring the feature back}
• Complete tutorial {after having followed it I still didn't know how to move or delete orders}

*UPDATE 1

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News

MrP1us

Postby MrP1us » Sat May 07, 2011 7:31 pm

[quote="icebrain"]This post is part of my feedback.

"• Dramatization of outcome - use unfreeze/faster motion sound and animation, zoom on gunfights and slow down action"

This would be cool. I would at least like a continuous play option after the battle, to watch the whole thing without having to press play after every turn, and have the time display function as a slider so I could move to certain points to see what happened, instead of watching the entire turn every time.
BearBear

Postby BearBear » Sat May 07, 2011 10:06 pm

For me it would simply have to be a quick match feature, one that must be played in one visit ie 30 - 45 mins or less. It may be wise to have this on a separate scoring system or not at all.
yifes

Postby yifes » Sun May 08, 2011 6:43 am

icebrain wrote:This post is part of my feedback.

• Scoring: killing enemy 10points (reference), killing enemy while unseen by him 15, taking hostage 20, killing taken hostage 5, killing friendly -15, killing self -20
• Dramatization of outcome - use unfreeze/faster motion sound and animation, zoom on gunfights and slow down action
• Varied environments - could be snow and ice, sand desert, forest, jungle (ideally for Camouflage mode) or office, laboratory, street, airport, factory, hotel...
• Less explosive units by default, 1 for 5 seems a good maximum {they make planning a lot more complicated and change the goal from killing to surviving}
• [new game type] Postponed game - replaces the current MP game type, now the player has one week to submit his turn, if he doesn’t it is submitted for him without any units doing anything so that the other player who wants to finish the game can. (*1)The auto submitting should only kick in in the second turn because FS currently doesn't guaranty that players play the games they want, so a player can legitimately not play the first turn (same for Immediate type) {ideal for players with little time}
• [new game type] Immediate - 30 minutes per turn, maximum of 1 other immediate game can be created or played, no other postponed game can be created or played until all immediate games are finished. {ideal for players who want to have another player in front of them to chat with}
• Handcrafted maps, they were listed in the features but there aren’t any since they are all partially or totally generated.
• Remove transparency of the map that shows background cubes that are confused with walls.
• Redesign UI from scratch.
• Base Campaign scoring on kills, losses, saves, objectives and turns.

While your list contains many things that would be nice to have, hardly any of it is essential, and some of your expectations are completely unrealistic. Your feedback is a bit too focused on trying to change the game into something essentially different. I hope Omroth has the strength to trust in his vision for the game and doesn't waste time with unnecessary features.
icebrain

Postby icebrain » Sun May 08, 2011 12:45 pm

yifes wrote:While your list contains many things that would be nice to have, hardly any of it is essential, and some of your expectations are completely unrealistic. Your feedback is a bit too focused on trying to change the game into something essentially different. I hope Omroth has the strength to trust in his vision for the game and doesn't waste time with unnecessary features.

Buddy, having joined only 2 days ago, I don't think you know the game.
If hardly any of my features are essentials, then heh, hardy any feature anyone would list would be essentials. If you think you know what essential features are, then list yours.
And I don't think I'm trying to change the game into something essentially different (especially since according to you none of those features are essentials :D), on the contrary I want to develop and enrich the core concept.
Finally, to understand those features you have to read my feedback.

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News

yifes

Postby yifes » Sun May 08, 2011 5:51 pm

icebrain wrote:Buddy, having joined only 2 days ago, I don't think you know the game.
If hardly any of my features are essentials, then heh, hardy any feature anyone would list would be essentials. If you think you know what essential features are, then list yours.
And I don't think I'm trying to change the game into something essentially different (especially since according to you none of those features are essentials :D), on the contrary I want to develop and enrich the core concept.
Finally, to understand those features you have to read my feedback.

Continuing this discussion in your feedback thread, so we don't hijack this thread.
DrazharLn

Postby DrazharLn » Mon May 09, 2011 9:50 pm

Keyboard shortcuts for:
  • Aiming (e.g. press a then click once in the direction you want to aim) - partially implemented, needs viewcone
  • Cancel aim - done!
  • Waypoint placement (same style as aim)
  • Next waypoint
  • Previous waypoint
  • Selecting enemy units by number, say SHIFT+num?
  • Leaving a game.
  • Undoing the last command given (either for selected unit or globally) (not the last command to be executed [which is the current backspace behaviour and also useful])
    • EDIT: Apparently you can't do this, I'll try not to be too sad.
  • Stop preview and return to plan (backspace kinda works for this, but isn't great)
    • Related: buttons and/or shortcuts to change play speed and direction would be good but I wouldn't be angry about them missing. More disappointed in you, like my father in me.

Customizable keyboard shortcuts No PC game should ever not have customizable controls.

Vision cones showing exactly what your unit can see or cannot see at any time (toggle option to show all, only the selected unit, none)
Explosion radius thing (also togglable)

Saved replays for both SP and MP.
Full plan view for both sides in replays.
Ability to save plans.

Main menu remembering where you were before you enter a game and returning to that place when you leave the game (current behaviour is very annoying when browsing old games).
Caching of query results for looking up players and games or otherwise much more speedy results.
Matchmaking for players of similar skill.
Last edited by DrazharLn on Sun May 15, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MrP1us

Postby MrP1us » Mon May 09, 2011 11:47 pm

I haven't seen this in here yet, so forgive me if it is. I would be slightly angry if the final release didn't show who needed to do their turn in a game in the active games window. I also think there needs to be a tab in the IRC where it shows all messages sent to you while you are online. I find it very frustrating when someone sends me a message at the end of a game and then goes offline, because I get the message that "'Player' wants to chat with you in IRC" and then I can't find them because they are offline, and I don't know what they said. Keep up the good work!
Hdfisise

Postby Hdfisise » Tue May 10, 2011 8:40 pm

The online players list to be sorted in alphabetical order :) (apologies if this has been said before)
Srekel

Postby Srekel » Wed May 11, 2011 10:08 am

New player here; played 6-10 missions in the campaign, a MP game and a few instant skirmishes. Here are some things that I expect/hope to be fixed for the final version:

Clearer interface for character states
I would like to be able to tell by just looking at, or hovering over, a character and see which states he's in: Stand/duck, Aim, Continue/Engage, etc. I know I can see if he's sitting down by zooming in and looking closely but that's actually a bit painful. Some icons by the bottom right or something would be fine.

The right-click menu should also be aware of the character state, so that if he's standing, I can only choose the Duck option. This will not only make it clearer which state the character is in, but also make the UI a bit more compact (depending on how you do it, I guess) and less confusing in general.

There also needs to be some more tooltips - for example by hovering over the buttons in the context menu, it could say "Ducking will make you vulnerable for a short while, but you will be safe behind windows. It does not affect your accuracy" (or whatever the rules are - I've had to come to these forums to find that out when it should be immediately available in-game).

Focus on zone
Maybe I just haven't played enough, but I've never seen this button enabled. Maybe it's only available in zone-based maps? If so, it should probably either be removed from the context menu in other cases, and/or a tooltip added to say why it's disabled.

A range indicator
Especially for the shotgun, some way of telling roughly or exactly the range at which he can hit.

More rule explanations
Since it's a game about tactics, I think it's quite fairly important for a player to understand the rules. I didn't know until I came to the forums about the four (or is the fifth global aim counter still in?) rules for calculating who wins a firefight. I think it might make sense to be able to select one of your units, and then hover over an enemy and see at least roughly what will come into play.

Inserting waypoints in the middle
Not sure if this is not possible or if I've just not figured out how to do it, but it's not infrequent for me to first sketch out the overall plan for a unit, and then want to add waypoints along the way to plan it more in detail.

On a related note, it can also be a bit tricky in some cases to see which order the waypoints come in, and in which direction the character will be travelling in on the white line between two waypoints. If the white line could be animated in some way, maybe a gradient moving along itself instead of a static white color (if you see what I mean).

Also, when zooming in, waypoints would do better to not stay the same world size - if I have more than one in a tight area, it's hard to see which one is which and can be hard to click the right one. It would be better if they scaled a little too, to be a mix between screenspace and worldspace size.. if that makes sense. :)
Omroth
Site Admin

Postby Omroth » Wed May 11, 2011 10:16 am

Hey Srekel, thanks for the feedback.

Clearer interface for character states

If a unit is ducked, he has a duck icon next to him

Focus on zone

This isn't well explained. Create a zone by holding down "t" and moving the mouse.

A range indicator

Hold down the v key
DrazharLn

Postby DrazharLn » Wed May 11, 2011 9:46 pm

Better interface for zones (ability to select, resize and delete them)
Shardz

Postby Shardz » Thu May 12, 2011 12:24 am

*All inherent game modes included within offline Skirmish mode, not just Extermination.
*Ability to scrub the Timeline with inherent unit movement in tact.
*More geometric variety in procedural levels with strategic and interactive hazards.
*Option to include basic Service Pistol for each unit.
*Rocket body damage or at least the option to include it.
*In-game auto updating with the option to not check for current patches.
*Different tile sets and/or visual themes or the ability to change procedural colors.
*Game mode with positional body damage including health bars for units. Examples: Head shot % with sniper fire. Unit crawl with leg hit.
*Ability to Hide online status to avoid being bothered by others who spam game invites.
*A timer or similar feature to stop people online from spamming game invites repeatedly.
*2+ players versus 2+ players.
DrazharLn

Postby DrazharLn » Thu May 12, 2011 1:01 am

"Inherent unit motion", what's that? The running animation they have when moving?

Re: your other stuff, it sounds like what you want is for Ian to change the game into something else in the few weeks before release. The architecture of Frozen Synapse likely doesn't even have support for HP! Are these really things you'd be angry about not being in the final release? If so, I expect you will be angry at release. 8)

As for games with >2 players, that would be pretty sweet. I suspect we won't see it before release (if at all), though.

Return to “General”