Ace_Maps: Public Places And More

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Ace_Rimmer

Re: Ace_Maps: Public Places And More

Post by Ace_Rimmer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 6:38 pm

Added two new ones (Bank Heist and Mini War) and revised the FS D-day to make it less 'impossible' for the invaders. (twice the MG's, more cover, better starting position).
YouGo

Post by YouGo » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm too lazy to fight a full scale war ^^
Ace_Rimmer

Post by Ace_Rimmer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:13 pm

Is there (will there/could there be) any way to customize levels other than Extermination? Perhaps I just don't know how but it doesn't seem to allow you to create custom maps from scratch using the import from bitmap function where you need exit zones, hostage zones, ect.

I've tried using

1. Create A Game > Game mode (something other than extermination) > Advanced Setup
2. Submit (from within editor) > Game mode (same as in 1)
3. Trying to edit game generated maps (the hostage/exit zones)

For Hostage, I end up with a 'No Exit zones' message. I'm sure it's not a priority now, but allowing users to create custom Secure, Hostage, etc maps could make the game much more versatile for many users.

A prime example would be the Bank Heist map. Goateh asked me why it wasn't some other mode and my answer was pretty much "you can do that?!". Then I tried, and found out you can't.

Also, knowing the rules of scoring for each mode would be helpful. I found a couple of posts that refer to scoring but nothing that specifically spells it out. I need a Frozen Synapse Scoring For Dummies. This would make it easier to balance games such as Bank Heist.

Lastly, letting the user put their own help comments for user generated maps might be crucial.

Thanks!
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:39 pm

You can do it, but it requires creation of specially named zones:

For Hostage, you need zons prefixed with Hostage (ie Hostage1,Hostage2, etc) and Exit.
For Secure you need "Move2" (ie "Move2_A", "Move2_B") for the attacker spawn zones, along with "bidzone" for all the bidzones.
For Charge you just need "Move1" and "Move2" for the deploy zones, and "bidzone" for bifzones.

(You hold down "t" and move the mouse to create a zone).
Ace_Rimmer

Post by Ace_Rimmer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks! I'll try that.

I have another question, I'm trying to figure out the score of 39 for Game 59644 and am hoping this is the correct answer:

Game Mode: Extermination (dark)

Code: Select all

Unit	Value    K	L  |  Kil.	Los.	Host.	Bonus	HLR1	Score
Goateh: 13	   10		9   9  |   90	 -90	 -125	   90	   -4	  -39
Goateh: 5	    25		0   5  |						

Ace_R:  9	    10		9   9  |				                              39

K = # of enemy killed
L = # of unit type lost (killed by enemy)
Kil. = score for K
Los = score for L
Host. = score for Hostages
Bonus = score for killing entire enemy squad
HLR1 = score for Hostages Left at end of Round 1 (-1 point for each one dead)
Goateh had 13 units (MG, SG, Snipers) and 5 Hostages.
Ace_Rimmer had 9 units (MG, SG)

1. Goateh killed all Ace_Rimmer units (90+90)
2. Goateh lost 9 out of 13 friendly units (-90)
3. Goateh lost all 5 Hostages (-125)
4 .Goateh lost 4/5 Hostages in Round 1 (-4)

1+2+3+4 = -39

Is this in any way correct? I'm only guessing at the 'extra' 4 points as I have no clue where they come from.
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:30 pm

I'm afraid that isn't correct - but why do you have a hostage calc in there for an Extermination game?
Goateh

Post by Goateh » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:50 pm

The map had hostages for one team despite extermination mode. They only lasted 4 seconds :(

Loading the game makes Frozen Synapse hang for a few seconds, to the point that windows thinks it's crashed and offers to close it if I try to interact. I had that while playing the game too but not seen it on any other game.
Ace_Rimmer

Post by Ace_Rimmer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:29 pm

I don't know if this map will ever get played (because of it's shape, and it's not finished yet) but I imagine it as having a couple of escape zones and Hostages for both sides in sort of a 'get to the escape pods before the aliens do cause the ship is on auto-destruct' map.

It's registration is NCC-1701-FS :-P

I also have an idea for pirates attacking a freighter (present day ship) with three decks (self contained but connected) and a speed boat (pirate spawn) with life boat escape zones, or a pirate held freighter with commando attackers (which is also the escape zone for hostages on board).
Ace_Rimmer

Post by Ace_Rimmer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:14 pm

So, here is the map I'm going with for the Enterprise FS:

Now I just need some ideas as to how to make it work right. As you can see it has an exit zone for hostages. I'm not sure if this is kosher, but it'd be cool (I think) to have three units on each team (two hostages and one shot gun, or maybe two shot guns and one hostage) and it be a race to see who can escape first.

The general idea is each team starting in opposite nacelles and having to make it to the last escape pod (exit zone) located at the end of the maze that is the saucer section.

This map might not be playable on sub-par systems.

Any suggestions?

Also, I'll be revamping the Bank Heist (mode and bank layout).

Lastly, if you have an idea for a map but don't want to take time to make it, I would probably do it. The more custom maps the better.
Ace_Rimmer

Post by Ace_Rimmer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:24 pm

Whilst you ponder suggestions for the map above, I've revamped the bank building for the Bank Heist map. Suggestions welcome (requested).

I plan on having three Hostage zones; 1. In front of the counter 2. Behind the counter 3. In the bathroom (for the manager). I also plan on making an exit zone but am not sure where it should go.

If it's not obvious: The left side of the building are offices, middle bottom the vault, center the teller station/counter, middle top the waiting area/front doors, right side employee areas (break room, storage, bathroom).

Also, figuring out how to add lights wasn't exactly 'easy'. :P

TheBeefiest

Post by TheBeefiest » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:47 pm

I like the toilet in there, that is brilliant.
Ace_Rimmer

Post by Ace_Rimmer » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:52 pm

Here's the revised version:

I'm making a couple of assumptions here:

1. Hostages can't be killed while they're in the hostage zone.
2. The 'police' team will use hostages as eyes to get inside the bank and 'rescue' them.
3. The bank team will have a hard time but won't be able to camp so long as the police can 'see' them via hostages.
4. The police team can't camp either because they must get the hostages out.

Police team:

1x Sniper
1x Grenade Launcher (for extra fun, don't kill your own people :P)
5x Machine Gun
5x Shot Gun
5x Hostage (two employees, two bank customers, 1 manager)

Bank team:

5x Shot Gun
3x Machine Gun
Ace_Rimmer

Post by Ace_Rimmer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:12 pm

It seems there's a new (relative to the last time I was on this forum) section for Modding. Can this thread be moved there or do I need to repost it?
afridizaddi

Post by afridizaddi » Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:51 am

Thankyou very much