Very, very basic guide on level editting w/ an image editor

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

henryci

Very, very basic guide on level editting w/ an image editor

Post by henryci » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:47 am

Hey guys.

I did some searching but couldn't find very much info on level editing. Perhaps I failed, but I decided to explore the image importing on my own (including testing it with shapes like circles, and 1 pixel-wide holes) and I collapsed all my findings into this blog post which has all my source images and rendered results:
http://www.henrycipolla.com/blog/2010/1 ... l-editing/

The key takeaways are:
  • The built in level editor is unstable and laborious. Instead, the optimal way to create levels is to import .pngs with level data within the editor
  • Most graphics editors save as .png. mspaint on windows is a good solution. For the tests below, I used Gimp
  • To import a .png it must have a white background and at least 1 pixel of white all the way around the border. Images with colors on the border will hang the editor.
  • The UI only lets you browse to folders within the Frozen Synapse folder. So I created a new folder inside the psychoff folder named “maps” and put my images in there, so they would be accessible in the game
  • Red pixels make up solid walls, blue pixels make up cover.
  • The colors don’t need to be perfect. I.E. 0xFF0000 is all red, but 0xAA0000 also works
  • 1024×768 is a good starting size for a 3 or 4 man game
  • Circles and diagonals are allowed. But I’d be wary of their impact on pathing
  • A shotgun can aim through a 1 pixel hole or 1 pixel of cover
  • A unit needs at least 23 pixels to make it through an entryway. However the rules are not consistent (i.e. not every 23 pixel entryway works).
    It is easy to test level pathing in the editor
YouGo

Re: Very, very basic guide on level editting w/ an image edi

Post by YouGo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:28 am

Cool, I still don't get how to do this, but I hope you make some great maps, I guess you already know this guy: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2235?

Looking forward to see some of your maps!
Omroth
Site Admin

Post by Omroth » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:51 am

Hi Henryci.

Many thanks for this - really helpful. I'd like to see a few more custom levels, and a nicely written introduction like that is a really good thing.

Ian
symonism

Post by symonism » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:13 pm

Hi, great resource!
Ive imported my PNG and thats all fine, but when i go 'Save as' i can name the file but i cant choose filetype and it doesnt seem to save anywhere what am i doing wrong? I tried adding the extension (.enc) but that doesnt work.

thansk in advance

—symon

BTW i posted this in another thread, but i wasnt sure if it was the right one so i posted here. I hope thats ok
henryci

Post by henryci » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:18 pm

symonism wrote:Hi, great resource!
Ive imported my PNG and thats all fine, but when i go 'Save as' i can name the file but i cant choose filetype and it doesnt seem to save anywhere what am i doing wrong? I tried adding the extension (.enc) but that doesnt work.

thansk in advance

—symon

BTW i posted this in another thread, but i wasnt sure if it was the right one so i posted here. I hope thats ok
I am a bit confused. What editor are you using? And where are you getting the .enc from? Are you doing some editing within the game itself?

-- Henry
symonism

Post by symonism » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:32 pm

henryci wrote:
symonism wrote:Hi, great resource!

thansk in advance

—symon

I am a bit confused. What editor are you using? And where are you getting the .enc from? Are you doing some editing within the game itself?

-- Henry

Sorry im a complete Noob. im using the one you access through the console. 'Loadeditor()'. Regading the .enc, i noticed that some levels had a '.enc' extension so i tried applying it. I have also attempted to just save as without an extension.

Basically this is my process:
• I open the level editor ( 'loadeditor()' )
• i import the .PNG that i have made
• i then attempt to save the level. which doesnt seem to work. as it doesnt seem to save.

—symon
henryci

Post by henryci » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:38 pm

Ahh, I see. I have no experience w/ the in-game editor (it didn't really exist when I was playing with this stuff). :(

-- Henry
whisky_bravo

Post by whisky_bravo » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:18 am

I'm having trouble importing a .png file to the editor - when I click on "import from png" the navigator opens but only shows the following files inside the 'Psychoff' folder:

importtest.png
inGameHelp.txt
main.cs
main.cs.dso
testWtite.txt

My .png file is saved in the 'Psychoff' folder but isn't visible in the navigator.. any ideas? I'm using Mac Os X 10.6.8.

Thanks!

SOLVED:

The file needs to be saved here:

MacintoshHD/Users/(name)/Library/ApplicationSupport/Steam/SteamApps/common/frozensynapse/FrozenSynapse/Contents/Resources/psychoff

Not here:

MacintoshHD/Users/(name)/Library/ApplicationSupport/FrozenSynapse/Psychoff

Took a while to figure it out but it works fine now.
Last edited by whisky_bravo on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
icebrain

Post by icebrain » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:27 am

I guess you put it in Application Support/, it should be in Frozen Synapse.app/Contents/Resources/

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News