Opponent not submitting turn

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

User avatar
artr0x
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 9:28 am
Location: Sweden

Opponent not submitting turn

Postby artr0x » Tue May 31, 2011 9:33 am

I tend to spend a lot of time on my turns and it's very frustrating if the opponent just decide never to respond. There should be a time limit to submit your turn and if you don't press prime within that time the other player can chose to win by walkover.
What do you think?
FS2 beta discord: https://discord.gg/m25ZjbW come say hi!
Warskull
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 9:38 am

Re: Opponent not submitting turn

Postby Warskull » Tue May 31, 2011 9:41 am

You eventually win, I think it takes 2 weeks. Maybe 'pace' could be an option for setting up a game. Let players decide how much time maximum people have to submit moves. 24 hours, 72 hours, 1 week, 2 weeks.

If they never make the first move they are choosing to abandon the game.
wonderhero
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Opponent not submitting turn

Postby wonderhero » Tue May 31, 2011 1:07 pm

If the opponent never make the first move mean that he canceled the game. He don't like it and he has right to cancel.
Will be that rule implemented soon so in the future this game will be deleted auto after 2 weeks without scoring.
If the opponent made first move but didn't take his next move in 2 weeks, will be a loss for him.

And yes unfortunately you can lose your time by planing first move and the opponent cancel the game.
Will be good if devs will reintroduce delete button available only for first turn.
User avatar
artr0x
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 9:28 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Opponent not submitting turn

Postby artr0x » Tue May 31, 2011 3:19 pm

wonderhero wrote:If the opponent never make the first move mean that he canceled the game. He don't like it and he has right to cancel.
Will be that rule implemented soon so in the future this game will be deleted auto after 2 weeks without scoring.
If the opponent made first move but didn't take his next move in 2 weeks, will be a loss for him.

And yes unfortunately you can lose your time by planing first move and the opponent cancel the game.
Will be good if devs will reintroduce delete button available only for first turn.


While I understand your point, I don't think that adding a delete button would be a good idea for the community overall. Consider that people will abuse this functions to get away from games instead of learning how to adapt to the environment given, also people would use it to get away from people with good win/loss.

---

I didn't know about the 2 week limit I suppose that solves the problem. I would say that the limit should be significantly shortened, and even shorter for the first turn. You should be able to forgive the player as well though in case you want keep playing a game with a friend.
FS2 beta discord: https://discord.gg/m25ZjbW come say hi!
wonderhero
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Opponent not submitting turn

Postby wonderhero » Tue May 31, 2011 3:56 pm

artr0x wrote:While I understand your point, I don't think that adding a delete button would be a good idea for the community overall. Consider that people will abuse this functions to get away from games instead of learning how to adapt to the environment given, also people would use it to get away from people with good win/loss.

People can abuse now too, taking no turn and forget the game, but the opponent can lose his time in vain making a plan.
Also with the Elo ranking system people with low rank will be happy to play against high rank players. So except unbalanced maps will be no reason to cancel a game.
artr0x wrote:I didn't know about the 2 week limit I suppose that solves the problem. I would say that the limit should be significantly shortened, and even shorter for the first turn.

Hmm, maybe the period should be one month, because there are people that go in holidays for 3 - 4 weeks far away from computer / internet. Try to think of them.
Almadiel
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 5:07 am

Re: Opponent not submitting turn

Postby Almadiel » Tue May 31, 2011 4:38 pm

Maybe there should be a vacation mode of some kind like a lot of async chess and go websites have. Declare yourself to be on vacation for X days, all your games are paused, and if you log into the game your vacation ends. Then just put some limit on how often or how many days you can take off.
User avatar
artr0x
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 9:28 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Opponent not submitting turn

Postby artr0x » Tue May 31, 2011 4:44 pm

wonderhero wrote:Hmm, maybe the period should be one month, because there are people that go in holidays for 3 - 4 weeks far away from computer / internet. Try to think of them.

You shouldn't start a game you know you can't finish within a reasonable period of time, I think 2 weeks is an ok limit, maybe even a bit to long.
FS2 beta discord: https://discord.gg/m25ZjbW come say hi!
wonderhero
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Opponent not submitting turn

Postby wonderhero » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:45 am

artr0x wrote:You shouldn't start a game you know you can't finish within a reasonable period of time.

Just I'm curious, how do I you know when your opponent will move ? Maybe he take his turn once per week. So for 8 turns the game may take at least 2 months :D
I rather agree with a time limit (one month) for each player for entire game like in chess game. In this way a game will not take more than 2 months and you can go in holidays 3 weeks and then you will have only one week for your moves to finish a game.
adwuga
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun May 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Re: Opponent not submitting turn

Postby adwuga » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:28 am

How about a system where after a week if you don't make a move, next time you log in you are forced to make a move, give up, or offer a draw. if your opponent refuses the draw then whenever you next login you are given the the first two choices. this would allow for vacation, you wont be able to play skip out of a losing game, if you know you are going to lose you can just quit, and it isn't harsh. for scoring proposes I think the game should assume all of your troops die and none of theirs do when you forfeit.
User avatar
TheComputerGeek
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 1:40 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: Opponent not submitting turn

Postby TheComputerGeek » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:43 pm

adwuga wrote:How about a system where after a week if you don't make a move, next time you log in you are forced to make a move, give up, or offer a draw. if your opponent refuses the draw then whenever you next login you are given the the first two choices. this would allow for vacation, you wont be able to play skip out of a losing game, if you know you are going to lose you can just quit, and it isn't harsh. for scoring proposes I think the game should assume all of your troops die and none of theirs do when you forfeit.


I would like that kind of system, but make it two weeks instead.
Image
ZkilfinG
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:08 am

Re: Opponent not submitting turn

Postby ZkilfinG » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:14 am

Is this implemented in some fashion now? This really feels like a dealbreaker for me. For me this is a dealbreaker making the game unplayable. If it's not fixed I want my money back :-(

PS. I like adwuga's suggestion.
wonderhero
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Opponent not submitting turn

Postby wonderhero » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:05 am

Devs said that from 01.MAY.2012 the "2 weeks time out" will be implemented. I needs some more few days to test if this feature works well.
But like I already said we don't the date of the last turn, but only the date of the game starting.

I will wait a few couple of days before I start a new argue with devs. This game lost many players because of this "dealbreaker ". Unfortunately the real question is: "why the poor server would need so many players ?"
Meehael
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:58 am

Re: Opponent not submitting turn

Postby Meehael » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:21 am

Maybe it would be good to change the whole game's design by making it a true turn-based strategy, not "play-by-email" game. Or simply to add the new design (and leave the current one), so before creating and playing a match, you decide whether it'll be a true turn-based match, or a pbem one.

By true turn-based strategy, I mean that if you leave (no matter the reason), you are a leaver and you lose the match. The leave count would be visible on all players' profiles, etc. There should also be a possibility to set turn time limit.
ZkilfinG
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:08 am

Re: Opponent not submitting turn

Postby ZkilfinG » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:51 am

Meehael wrote:Maybe it would be good to change the whole game's design by making it a true turn-based strategy, not "play-by-email" game. Or simply to add the new design (and leave the current one), so before creating and playing a match, you decide whether it'll be a true turn-based match, or a pbem one.

By true turn-based strategy, I mean that if you leave (no matter the reason), you are a leaver and you lose the match. The leave count would be visible on all players' profiles, etc. There should also be a possibility to set turn time limit.


I don't like that idea at all. I like the fact that you can have multiple games going at the same time, switch between multiplayer and singleplayer, etc.

As for the time limit there's a feature for that already (though I haven't tried it yet).
Meehael
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:58 am

Re: Opponent not submitting turn

Postby Meehael » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:48 am

ZkilfinG wrote:I don't like that idea at all. I like the fact that you can have multiple games going at the same time, switch between multiplayer and singleplayer, etc.

As for the time limit there's a feature for that already (though I haven't tried it yet).


Well, if I want to find, play and complete a quick multiplayer skirmish, it isn't guaranteed that I will find one fast enough with the current design. I can challenge a player, and he can join, but he isn't obliged to play or finish the game. This way, I can spend about half an hour or more only trying to find a match (not to mention how much time could be wasted if trying to complete a match). Much time wasted. With the new design, one could host a game with specific settings, players looking for a game could see the match settings before joining and join only if they like it. Also, if a player challenges another, he could see the match settings and he could only have the option to Join or Decline the match. Once he saw the match settings and Joined the game, it means he accepted the match settings. If he leaves after that point, it is considered he has lost. If he Declined the match right at the start, nothing happens.

I'm not saying the new design should replace the old, but it could be an addition.

Return to “General”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users