Mode7 you need to start supporting the game further.

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

rmsgrey

Re: Mode7 you need to start supporting the game further.

Post by rmsgrey » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:08 pm

TehShrike wrote:Playing from behind, or with really sucky units, isn't a good feeling, but playing the game out usually feels worthwhile by the time I'm done with it.
And sometimes the horse sings...

It's the games where your opponent took out three of your men for only one of his, but lost track of your shotgun until it turned up from an unexpected direction and tore through his units in one turn that you remember, not the ones where your opponent dropped a grenade on his own men and it only took you a couple of turns to finish mopping up - it's the games where you were totally screwed and still managed to snatch a victory that make the best stories.
Paul

Post by Paul » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Alright, as you may have seen the 2 Week Timeout has been implemented here.

I can see that there's ongoing discussion in this thread so I won't close it, but equally I won't be following it actively any more.

What I will do, however, is start a new thread called "THE MODE 7 HOTLINE" - it'll be at the top of General as a sticky thread.

I'll put some posting rules in that thread - this will effectively be a way for the community to get in touch with me to raise important issues that people feel need imminent attention - not suggestions, or ongoing things, but "in my opinion, this REALLY needs to be fixed because it is having immediate negative consequences".

I will try to check that thread several times each week and respond to anything that needs a response.

I'll still check Bugs and the Wishlist etc. when we're gearing up for an update, but let's try this new thing as an experiment.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
Disparanoia

Post by Disparanoia » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:18 pm

@ Paul and Ian, in retrospect, i was a bit to demanding, you are clearly supporting the game, a small team can only do so much at a time. excellent work.

my apologies.

many thanks for such a great game.
Paul

Post by Paul » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:25 pm

No worries - you called us on a couple of things we were doing wrong!

I hope things are better now in this department and we'll keep trying to get the balance right between supporting FS and moving on with everything else we've got planned.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
vohk

Post by vohk » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:27 am

A very late reply, but..
Paul wrote:I don't think "long stretches of silence" is fair.

What you mean is that we haven't been active enough in your preferred arena for communication (the forums) and, as I've said, I'm going to try and be more active here, as well as unifying communication across everywhere.

We don't do support on the forums - it's not viable - we do it on email - support at mode 7 games dot com.
That isn't really my point, or at least not all of it. I noticed very little news coming from the developer for long stretches of time. Issues brought up by the community were generally left without official comment and I noticed very little in the way of 'official announcements' anywhere. The in-game welcome screen was extremely underutilized. It didn't feel like there was ever much in the way of a firm timeline. I may have simply not been looking in the right places, but my impression is I'm not alone there.

On an unrelated note, I am surprised you find email more viable for support than the forums; my guess would have been using the forums creates more of a search-able database, in theory cutting down on the number of repeated answers and allowing a certain amount of crowd sourcing of answers.
Paul wrote:
These are things that really hurt the game's appeal and for the most part should have been handled a long time ago.
That's quite an annoyingly presumptuous comment, to be honest. The impact of various issues is actually very difficult to rate, I wouldn't be so sure that you've got everything totally right! The attitude, "IF ONLY THEY DID X THING THEN EVERYTHING WOULD BE BETTER" isn't constructive - that's not how this process works. I'm only mentioning this because almost all of your points are really valid and interesting, but don't stray into that preachy territory because it makes communication difficult, and it makes you look like you're not framing an argument well.

Thought I would be honest about my feelings there - hope you don't mind; as I said, most of your post was very constructive.
I don't mind at all. I admit it was not especially constructive- I was expressing personal frustration at the lost potential- but I don't feel one offhand comment represents that much of a foray into 'preachy territory'.

I don't agree on the impact of issues being all that difficult to rate, mind you. Looking through various forums and reviews many of the same complaints keep reappearing, often accompanied with 'why I stopped playing'. If a large number of people (small sample size notwithstanding) are all complaining about the same issues that take months, or over a year in some cases, to get fixed, people are going to stop playing the game. When (or if) the issues do get fixed, they will have moved on. The impact of the launch, the 'new car smell' is lost. The issues I mentioned were the ones I noticed garnering the majority of complaint. I'm sorry it offended you that much, but I stand by my original comment.

I am glad you guys got FS on a Humble Bundle. I think that will go a long way towards getting in new blood.
bredhedden1

Post by bredhedden1 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:31 pm

Yeah but its still help us, thanks buddy for such decent stuff.