Number of snipers in your team

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

What is the maximum number of snipers you would tolerate in a game with random asymetrical teams ?

8%
67%
17%
more
8%

Total votes: 12
wonderhero

Number of snipers in your team

Post by wonderhero » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:42 am

This poll exclude the situations when both teams have the same number of snipers.
It's about Charge, Secure and Disputed modes.

My opinion:
Sniper is almost a static unit for occasional maps. Giving me more than one sniper will ruin my team because the number of units is small and I want my squad to be more dynamical than static. But I can tolerate more than one sniper if both players have the same number of snipers.
Like I said in other threads I met: 0-1 sniper + any other units against 2-3 snipers + any other units
and for me it seams to be too unfair (imbalance).
So I consider maximum 1 sniper enough in both compositions for asymmetric teams.

What's your opinion ?
HellGringo

Re: Number of snipers in your team

Post by HellGringo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:30 pm

wonderhero wrote:This poll exclude the situations when both teams have the same number of snipers.
It's about Charge, Secure and Disputed modes.

My opinion:
Sniper is almost a static unit for occasional maps. Giving me more than one sniper will ruin my team because the number of units is small and I want my squad to be more dynamical than static. But I can tolerate more than one sniper if both players have the same number of snipers.
Like I said in other threads I met: 0-1 sniper + any other units against 2-3 snipers + any other units
and for me it seams to be too unfair (imbalance).
So I consider maximum 1 sniper enough in both compositions for asymmetric teams.

What's your opinion ?
I totally agree with you, also snipers could become a burden if maps haven't got open spaces.
Ornithopter

Post by Ornithopter » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:58 pm

I didn't vote because the maximum number of snipers I'm okay with isn't a specific number. It's one more than the number of snipers my opponent has, as long as I get at least one non-sniper unit.

3 snipers and a MG isn't a very good team, but against 2 snipers and 2 MGs, it's close enough to balanced to be an interesting match.
TheRaven42

Post by TheRaven42 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:16 pm

I'll vote for one more, but I'll say that on some charge and secure maps with lots of open space I would not mind having all snipers.

Disputed....ugh snipers are too slow. You don't send a weight lifter to do a sprinter's job.

In my opinion, the sniper should move as fast as a MG, but have more penalty for movement. (more stillness bonus, however that works.)
wonderhero

Post by wonderhero » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:03 am

Ornithopter wrote:3 snipers and a MG isn't a very good team, but against 2 snipers and 2 MGs, it's close enough to balanced to be an interesting match.
In this case I'll not engage my 2 MGs against your snipers. I'll move my 2 MGs to the middle behind a safety position on Charge and Disputed. Than I can control easy the game. Two blended MGs can easy sacrifice one of them to neutralize the single enemy MG.
So 2 snipers + 2 MG has advantage over 3 snipers + 1 MG on most of Charge and Disputed maps.
The same for 1 snipers + 2 MG vs 2 snipers + 1 MG
Snipers are not good for collecting boxes on Disputed. Also they can't reach a bid zone so easy on Charge.

As TheRaven42 said, only if the "charge and secure maps with lots of open space" then more snipers will be welcome. But these maps are seldom.
Ornithopter

Post by Ornithopter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:03 pm

I didn't say it was balanced. I said it'd be an interesting game. There's no disputing that I would be at a disadvantage in that situation.
Cyron

Post by Cyron » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Ornithopter wrote:I didn't vote because the maximum number of snipers I'm okay with isn't a specific number. It's one more than the number of snipers my opponent has, as long as I get at least one non-sniper unit.
I voted for two, but this sounds about perfect to me...
wonderhero

Post by wonderhero » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:21 am

I have a match against Ripper: my 2xsnipers + 1xMG vs his 1xsniper + 1xSG + 1xMG on charge game with a lot of walls. Theoretical I have no chance to win but I accepted this match to see if I can find a way but I need a huge luck because snipers are useless here.

The interesting thing is that Rocket Launcher can balance all these unwelcome units compositions, no matter witch side he belong to. The RL creates open spaces for snipers.

My idea is: if you want a DYNAMIC TEAM you need at least 2 DYNAMIC UNITS.

So I would remove the following compositions:

(2,3)xSniper + 1xMG vs any combination of (MG,SG,GL)
2xSniper + 1xMG vs 1xSniper + 1x(MG,SG,GL) + 1x(MG,SG,GL)

Even this case: 1xSniper + 1xMG vs 1x(MG,SG,GL) + 1x(MG,SG,GL)
ComboBreaker

Post by ComboBreaker » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:39 pm

More than 1 sniper is basically a lost match,unless it is extremely opened map.Even then,its easy to do some dance-dance moves and get machine gunner to mid range.

Kinda offtopic,but I'd like to see machine gunner's range decreased,as it can beat snipers on a fair distance sometimes,where sniper should have had an advantage.