Carighan

Re: THE MODE 7 HOTLINE

Postby Carighan » Wed May 30, 2012 9:28 pm

Mailed.
Thank you for the quick reply. :)
Gigadoc 2

Postby Gigadoc 2 » Thu May 31, 2012 12:31 am

I just got the update through Desura. Thanks for the quick reaction, and for maintaining a linux port in the first place!

Now, If I might add a suggestion: To avoid any more cases like TarrasQ's or mine, you should promote the linux version a bit more. On your Website is very little and inconsistent information about it, for a while I actually thought you've discontinued it.
Maybe you could even sell it through the Ubuntu Store (as the most prominent linux app store), though I have no Idea how elaborate this would be. FS is the best example for a working, commercial game for linux, and therefore deserves much more popularity.
beerw0lf

Postby beerw0lf » Thu May 31, 2012 11:17 am

Gigadoc 2 wrote:Anything new on this?
There still seems no way to install the update on Linux.
I almost got two people into buying this, and now I can't play it myself anymore...

It's possible to get the updated Linux version via the geturl email, sure. A real in-game menu download link would better. I'm using the Linux client and was really confused after buying the DLC, when all I got was MAC and Windows download links. You should really add Linux download link to the game update menu and not have us Linux users jump through unnecessary hoops.

edit: On top of this issue, now my DLC license key is not working... nice.
Paul

Postby Paul » Thu May 31, 2012 12:14 pm

Sorry about that lack of an in-game update button - pretty annoyed we missed that one. It is on the list to be patched with the next client update.

You are right - there isn't sufficient info about Linux on the site - we're changing that now.

Can you mail support about your license key issue? support at mode 7 games dot com

Sorry you've had so many problems - we'll work on improving this side of things for Linux users.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
beerw0lf

Postby beerw0lf » Thu May 31, 2012 2:31 pm

Paul wrote:Sorry about that lack of an in-game update button - pretty annoyed we missed that one. It is on the list to be patched with the next client update.

You are right - there isn't sufficient info about Linux on the site - we're changing that now.

Most Linux users are having problems installing the client and others have the no sounds issue. A FAQ for these would be nice. Personally I've had both issues.

Install issues mostly occure, when the client has been installed previously with superuser rights (using sudo). If that is the case the user needs to remove the old install and remove the following directory:

Code: Select all

~/.local/share/FrozenSynapse

Sound issues were removed in my case by installing a dev-library for openAL: libopenal-dev

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that there is a Linux client available. Most developers wouldn't even bother to try, so very big thanks for for trying!

Can you mail support about your license key issue? support at mode 7 games dot com

This was actually my mistake. I misinterpreted O as 0 in the code. Sorry for venting. Good job on the DLC. The new soundtracks by nervous_testpilot alone are worth the purchase :)
Carighan

Postby Carighan » Thu May 31, 2012 2:38 pm

Do I need to do anything else as far as resetting my password goes, btw?
I mailed jimmeh from the base email address (without the + or the part behind it), and I got neither a direct reply nor a reset mail. Now I know it's only one day, and I'm not stressing, more wondering whether I did something wrong. :S
Paul

Postby Paul » Thu May 31, 2012 5:04 pm

Sorry about that - you mailed the right person so try dropping him another email.

Although support@mode7games.com is the standard address.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
Panther

Postby Panther » Thu May 31, 2012 7:30 pm

beerw0lf wrote:I'm using the Linux client and was really confused after buying the DLC, when all I got was MAC and Windows download links. You should really add Linux download link to the game update menu and not have us Linux users jump through unnecessary hoops.

I was wondering if FS: Red had a Linux version already, as there seems to be no mention of it. I bought FS from Humble Bundle and been playing it in Linux with only one minor complaint: max. resolution seems to be 1680x1050, although now that I think of it, I might actually prefer it to a fullscreen 1920x1200 8)

If I buy FS: Red via Steam, will I be able to download the Linux version of it?
Paul

Postby Paul » Thu May 31, 2012 7:44 pm

Hey - general questions like this really need to go to support at mode 7 games dot com and not in this thread - this is for general community issues that we need to address urgently.

You should update your client using the method above and buy FS: Red direct from us if you want to activate it in your Linux version.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:16 am

As you see devs you can't get rid of me until you fix the main problems with FS. So I decided to remind you each week the following FS bugs/issues:

1. If a player have N x matches older than 1-2 weeks that require his turn, this number don't appear in the warning "You currently have X game which requires turn". These matches don't appear neither on the active games list if you press on "X game" link. But these matches appear in the active games list if you click on "account name" and then "active" button. So without doing this, the player will never knows that he forgot to take his turns on older matches.

2. I have the date of the match starting, but I don't have date of the last turn. So I don't know how many days past since my opponent took his last turn. In other words I don't know how many days left till "2 weeks time out" expired and I will be penalize by losing the game, of course if this was implemented and works well.

3. Advance Setup has 2 options min/max level. Should be rank or Elo score, not level. "Level" don't means anything to us. Rank/Elo score is matter. Or maybe you just forgot to write 'rank' instead of 'level'. Please fix this.

4. Please remove "Only on Sight" option because it has only the purpose to cheat your opponent. Why do you keep this option since the creator already knows his squad position ? Those other 2 options are enough.

5. Find a way to not let especially top players to freeze their rank scores by stopping play FS.
If they stop play for 1 month then hide their names on rank table or decrease their rank scores with a value till they take a turn. Then they will appear again on rank table with their normal score.

Thank you!
Scorpion0x17

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:22 pm

wonderhero wrote:5. Find a way to not let especially top players to freeze their rank scores by stopping play FS.
If they stop play for 1 month then hide their names on rank table or decrease their rank scores with a value till they take a turn. Then they will appear again on rank table with their normal score.

When you first raised this one, wonderhero, my initial reaction was to agree with you, and in fact my gut reaction was to think just docking them a point per day, or per week, or whatever, permanently for as long as they don't play.

But, then, the more I think about it the more I think "what is the problem anyway?"

I mean, what's the difference between:

MrNoPlay 1000pts
Wonderhero 999pts
Antihero 872pts

and:

(MrNoPlay 1000pts)
Wonderhero 999pts
Antihero 872pts

?

(whereby the brackets mean that player is hidden/docked points)

In my opinion, it makes no difference - everyone still has the same number of points!

Ok, so you may issue a challenge to MrNoPlay, and he won't ever take a turn, but so what? That clues you in on who is and is not active! Challenge Antihero instead!
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Scorpion0x17, if you noticed that 1700 rank score is very hard to reach it. This means if you have some luck you can reach it. But this shouldn't give you right to freeze this high position by stopping play FS.
I would be glad if Antihero accept my challenges, but unfortunately he is not. I still like this game so I play against available players even they have very low rank. If I would care my score so much I shouldn't play against them and I think you know how Elo works.
Anyway I raised this issue because will bring more balance.
Julian Gallop did this for LSN. I had nothing to reproach him regarding ranking table system or challenge system.
Scorpion0x17

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:03 pm

Yeah, I understand, wonderhero - like I said, initially I agreed with you, a would have even welcomed a more harsh penalty than you are suggesting, but, the point I'm making is that I can now see equally valid points on both sides of the argument.
trolling [verb]:
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:16 am

OK, no problem, but the first 4 requests should be solved. I will remind them until will be fixed.
Scorpion0x17

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:26 pm

@mode7games:

I think you're probably aware of this, but just in case you're not - the two week time-out is not working - I have two challenges in my active games list that were issued to me, by wonderhero, back in, iirc, January, and in which I've taken no action, but they haven't timed-out to a draw.
trolling [verb]:

Return to “General”