Proposal: mutators

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Post Reply
User avatar
Omroth
Site Admin
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:07 pm

Proposal: mutators

Post by Omroth » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:17 pm

Here's a blog post about the mutators I have planned for the DLC: http://www.mode7games.com/blog/2012/01/25/mutators/

Let me know what you guys think.
Scorpion0x17
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:40 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Proposal: mutators

Post by Scorpion0x17 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:27 pm

Omroth wrote:Here's a blog post about the mutators I have planned for the DLC: http://www.mode7games.com/blog/2012/01/25/mutators/

Let me know what you guys think.
Love the idea.

Fun/bizzare/odd/weird mutators would be fun/bizzare/odd/weird (all in a good way) too. :P
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
wonderhero
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Proposal: mutators

Post by wonderhero » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:03 am

Ian wrote:- Focus Aim – when move-aiming, if you round a corner and engage someone very close to where you set the target, you are said to be “focus aiming”, and would have a big advantage over that enemy. This would lead to less camping, as camping units would be killable by moving units if you can predict exactly where they are.
Nice idea!
1. About "very close": It is possible to see the maximum radius ? (A circle with the center in "Focus Aim" place).
2. About "big advantage": how many bonus milliseconds ?
Because I want to know if a unit when move-aiming with "focus aim" will beat a stillness enemy unit behind a cover!? Shouldn't.
3. If that stillness unit will use "Focus Aim" too, this will balance out the "Focus Aim"'s advantage of the opponent, right ?
User avatar
Omroth
Site Admin
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:07 pm

Re: Proposal: mutators

Post by Omroth » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:59 pm

Hey wonderhero.

1. I don't know about displaying it... but I'll find a way of making it clear.
2. At the moment the moving unit would win that battle - I really want to see what effect this change would have. I'll tweak it after seeing people play with it I expect.
3. Yes, correct.
wonderhero
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Proposal: mutators

Post by wonderhero » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:04 pm

wonderhero wrote:Because I want to know if a unit when move-aiming with "focus aim" will beat a stillness enemy unit behind a cover!? Shouldn't.
Omroth wrote:At the moment the moving unit would win that battle - I really want to see what effect this change would have. I'll tweak it
I see and I like the idea...but I know that once a feature is implemented, the chances to tweak it decrease. I foresee, in this case, "Focus Aim" will become too powerful and cover will be almost useless. But I want to hear more opinion.
User avatar
Omroth
Site Admin
Posts: 1825
Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:07 pm

Re: Proposal: mutators

Post by Omroth » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:15 pm

Well, you'll be playing this functionality next week, and we won't lock it for at least a month - so there should be plenty of time to discuss this kind of thing I hope.
User avatar
jhawk
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Proposal: mutators

Post by jhawk » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:18 pm

I would like to know if there is actually a disadvantage to using focus aim instead of regular aim. Otherwise, what's the reason to keep the regular aim order?
wonderhero
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Proposal: mutators

Post by wonderhero » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:29 pm

jhawk wrote:I would like to know if there is actually a disadvantage to using focus aim instead of regular aim. Otherwise, what's the reason to keep the regular aim order?
“Focus aiming” will be applied only to a small zone with the center in your set target point. For the rest of the map will be regular aim.
User avatar
jhawk
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Proposal: mutators

Post by jhawk » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:33 pm

wonderhero wrote:“Focus aiming” will be applied only to a small zone with the center in your set target point. For the rest of the map will be regular aim.
So a unit that is focus aiming has a reduced sight FOV? If you mean that the bonus is only in a small area, and the sight FOV the same, then there is no reason to use normal aiming, even if you don't have a particular use for the focus aiming bonus.
wonderhero
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Proposal: mutators

Post by wonderhero » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:34 am

Jhawk, "focus aim" is a particularity of aiming, so can't be "focus aim" without aiming. If the opponent unit will be in that target zone then you will have an engage with bonus else will be a normal engage like is now.
And will be one "focus aim" target per turn. Otherwise using 50 targets in one turn will ruin any tactic.
User avatar
jhawk
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Proposal: mutators

Post by jhawk » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:38 am

If it's limited to one per turn, then it makes sense. I'm just saying, that if the FOV is the same as the normal aim, only with an added "bonus" range, it would be exactly like a normal aim, except better, and thus making normal aim redundant.

It might be interesting to make focus aim just a narrower FOV, with the engagement bonus throughout the entire range, instead of limiting it to one per turn. It would make the use of focus aim more "focused", making the unit less fortunate against attackers that would otherwise have been within the regular aim's range.

Maybe there could also be a short period of decreased combat effectiveness when you use focus aim, so you could use it more than once per turn (per unit).

Anyway, those are just ideas, I don't expect this new order to be changed before it's even tested...
User avatar
artr0x
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue May 31, 2011 9:28 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Proposal: mutators

Post by artr0x » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Why only enable mutators in advanced creation? These changes would greatly improve normal laddering as well
FS2 beta discord: https://discord.gg/m25ZjbW come say hi!
wonderhero
Posts: 585
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Proposal: mutators

Post by wonderhero » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:58 pm

artr0x wrote:Why only enable mutators in advanced creation? These changes would greatly improve normal laddering as well
Because these features can improve some strategy elements but ruin others. Must be tested a lot.
jhawk wrote:It might be interesting to make focus aim just a narrower FOV, with the engagement bonus throughout the entire range, instead of limiting it to one per turn. It would make the use of focus aim more "focused", making the unit less fortunate against attackers that would otherwise have been within the regular aim's range.
If I understood right, in your case, "focus aim" will be an independent order that can be used only in close combat (narrower FOV). Once you set it the unit will fire only in close combat ?
In this case, in close combat, both players will use "focus aim" and will be balance out each other.
Post Reply