Co-op progression: suggestions?

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Omroth
Site Admin

Co-op progression: suggestions?

Post by Omroth » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Hey guys,

As I noted previously, the DLC will have the entire existing single player campaign playable as co-op. A co-op game is very much like a multiplayer game - it'll be on your active games and you'll have play by email notifications.

What I'm struggling with at the moment is how to handle progression for this. I don't want to just give you a list of all missions to choose from because I want people to have a sense of progression... but it also seems quite hard core to force people to complete each mission in turn.

Any suggestions for this?

Thanks,
Ian
Meneth

Re: Co-op progression: suggestions?

Post by Meneth » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:14 pm

I'd suggest that one can only pick missions at least one of the players have unlocked.
In addition, the ability to skip a mission if you lose, so that people don't risk getting stuck.
thynnmas

Post by thynnmas » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:13 pm

It's been a while since I played the campaign, and can't get into the game to check, but I seem to remember it being neatly divided into parts of the city, with a couple of missions in each part. You could make mission picking available within each part, while demanding the parts be done in order.
Scorpion0x17

Post by Scorpion0x17 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:14 pm

I think you have three options:

A) Keep the standard campaign single player only, and have unlocked missions available for co-op replay - much as the single player campaign works now, but the added option of co-op in replays.

B) Add a full co-op campaign (same missions as single player campaign, just with co-op enabled) - and in this instance it should be hardcore - if you start a campaign as a co-op campaign you have to play the entire campaign co-op!

C) Have the option for drop-in co-op - whereby player 1 could start the campaign single player, the invite player 2 in for one co-op mission, then do some more missions single player, then invite player 3 for co-op on a mission or two.

I personally would like to see all three implemented :P but, if it were a case of just one, I'd say C is likely to have the most player engagement, I'd most like B, and A would do a lot to help replay value (he says without suggesting one option over an other :P).
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
Disparanoia

Post by Disparanoia » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:43 pm

every 5 missions completed you earn a "skip token". one skip token lets you skip a mission, you can only have 2 "skip tokens" at any one time.

on the other hand, i see no issue with having to complete each mission.