Engagement rules, who beats who?

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

RockPaperScissors

Engagement rules, who beats who?

Post by RockPaperScissors » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:26 pm

I've been playing single player only, felt it was a good idea before going into MP. Also the campaign is cool. Anyway, I've seen some odd things happening, like a sniper being killed by an assault all the way across the map, a moving shotgun killing a standing assault at what I believe was mid range.

So I have a hard time understanding what makes each unit defeat the other. I thought it was something like: close range shotgun always wins, mid range assault wins and long range sniper wins. That's without taking into account cover or movement. Could someone point me to a source of info or explain to me how it works.

How important is movement, cover and distance in a duel of two different units?
Scorpion0x17

Re: Engagement rules, who beats who?

Post by Scorpion0x17 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:20 pm

Movement, or rather 'stillness', cover, and distance are indeed all important, along with other things, such as whether a unit has just changed stance, as well as which unit spotted the other unit first, and whether line-of-sight has been broken and for how long.

Apparently there used to be a little read out (during replay, I think) that gave some indication of why an engagement went one way or another, but it was removed for some reason (and I'm not sure if it's clear why), and, personally, I'd like to see it put back in, because, like you, I find there are occasions when I'm not really sure why an engagement went the way it did, or what I could have done to change the outcome.

I've suggested, in the Wishlist thread, that the game have a 'tactical analysis' mode, whereby one could test out different scenarios, and though I don't think I suggested it in that post, I think that within such a mode would be the ideal place to bring back the engagement results read out thing - at least that way we'd have some chance of actually learning how the internals of the game work, without having to guess (which, by the way, is all anyone else that offers you guides, or more specific advice, on timings, and the like, has done - granted, it's educated guesswork, but it's guesswork none the less).
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
icebrain

Re: Engagement rules, who beats who?

Post by icebrain » Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:13 pm

I recommend looking up my guide, there's a table with all the priorities.

After you read the Official Manual, check Frozen Synapse's Tactics & Strategy Guide, go further with the Advanced Mechanics for Multiplayer and beat all SP missions with the Campaign Walkthrough • Read the latest News