I lost a Dark Charge match...how come? And a couple of Q's

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Projectseph

I lost a Dark Charge match...how come? And a couple of Q's

Post by Projectseph » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:45 pm

Ok, so firstly
My question why is merely because my understanding of the rules for the match were that the opponent needed to cross the line for a certain amount of time.
Now it was 3 on 3.
I killed one of his, he Killed one of mine, then he went into hiding.
I covered ALL areas that he could have stepped over the line.
I sniped another of his units attempting to make a break for it, then suddenly I lost!

I don't understand why.

I had it all covered and there wasn't any point his unit could have stepped over the line.

Unless they are allowed to sit ON the line...but then he could have done that for about 20 seconds at least and the game hadn't ended.

So I am a little puzzled. The rules state they must cross over the line. So maybe it's a little ambiguous.

Second Question
My first Charge match. I'd have preferred not to play the match, but I thought I was forced to accept it.
(On this, is there any way to decline a match?)

Last Question
So i have match sitting there with someone who is clearly going to lose.
They have 1 Shotgunner, and I have 2 rifleman and a Shotgunner, and he can't move without losing.
But he wont take his turn.

Is this game just fated to be a stalemate because they wont make a move? Its a bit annoying as it should be a victory for me.

Thanks alot.
Scorpion0x17

Re: I lost a Dark Charge match...how come? And a couple of Q

Post by Scorpion0x17 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:29 am

Post the game ID, and what server it's on, Projectseph.

Someone (probably me) might then be able to tell you exactly why you lost.

On the other two questions, you 'accept a match' by priming your first turn, and inactive games will time-out after two weeks, with the last person to prime being declared a winner (but if at least one of the players hasn't primed their first turn it will be declared a draw).

So, in the case of matches you don't wish to play, just don't prime your first turn and it will be declared a draw.

And, in the case of the game where your opponent is refusing to take a turn, make sure you've primed a turn, then, as long he doesn't prime a turn, you will be declared the winner after two weeks.

(NOTE: the two week timeout system was implemented some time ago, but stopped working, however it's my understanding that it is now working again)
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
Projectseph

Post by Projectseph » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:25 am

Okay.

Game ID: 499978
Server : UK1

The game mode description reads that a Unit must remain over the Bid line for 6 turns (and at least 3 seconds)

From my gathering, as long as they were sitting on the Red line, it didn't count.
I thought they needed to cross it.

I knew his rifleman was bunkered down in the top corner (so a direct assault would have me dead), and I didn't feel confident flanking his bottom unit as he had adequate cover, as well as cover from the top unit.

So Instead, I assumed since he needed to cross the red line, he'd have to exit his little bunker to do so, so I sat and waited, whilst covering the exit points.

..Apparently he can just sit there on the line with cover.

End of the day I lost. No biggie, at least I *think* I understand the rules now. But it came as quite a shock.

Thanks for the info thus far though.
Scorpion0x17

Post by Scorpion0x17 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:36 am

Hi again Projectseph,

Had a look at the game now, and yeah, the game mode description is a little misleading in that respect - it should really read "on or over" not just "over".

So, as you correctly figured out, his MG2 was able to just sit there, on the line, and thereby win the game.

Also, hope you saw the edit I made to my previous post, regarding your other two questions.

Oh, and, just so you know, I suspect his other MG, at the bottom, wasn't 'making a break for it' at the end, but rather was scouting for information, or making an anti-flank move, because he suspected you must have been trying to flank his top MG somehow (I don't see any other reason for his doing that, at any rate).
trolling [verb]:
wonderhero

Post by wonderhero » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:59 am

Projectseph wrote: So i have match sitting there with someone who is clearly going to lose.
They have 1 Shotgunner, and I have 2 rifleman and a Shotgunner, and he can't move without losing.
But he wont take his turn.
Is this game just fated to be a stalemate because they wont make a move? Its a bit annoying as it should be a victory for me.
Don't wait till your squad risk to be called coward. Why do you prefer to wait with so many units 2xMG + 1xSG ?

Apply one of the following tactics that request one unit sacrifice:

1. Blend 2 MG and attack him with aiming while walking. Is not necessary perfect blend, but his SG must not be covered by a box or window.

2. Blend 1 MG and SG and attack his SG with aiming while walking, but for each "1 second distance" delay your SG with 0.2 sec to be synchronized with your MG. Is not require perfect blend. No matter what cover his SG has.

3. Almost blend 1 MG and SG and attack his SG with without aim, but for each "0.5 second distance" delay your SG with 0.2 sec so your SG must be a very little behind your MG. No matter what cover his SG has.

4. Should I say to blend all 3 units ? You will scare him to much :P

Obs: when you apply this tactic against an enemy SG, don't stop your units unless if you make a perfect blend while stopping. Also it is recommended to stop this blended units in last 0.5 seconds and make a perfect blend. Otherwise if enemy SG spot and fire your squad in last 0.3 seconds then the tactic fail because your first unit dies but the second one will not get to fire in that turn.

As you see you need only 2 units to take enemy SG down :)

Your opponent has right to camp and waiting for you, but has not right to refuse to take his turn in 2 weeks.

Cheers!
Projectseph

Post by Projectseph » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Cheers for the help guys.
It's appreciated.

And Wonderhero, lol, the issue isn't my tactics atm, it's the fact I am primed after killing 2 of his units, and he now won't move.
No chance to engage him.
Guess I have to wait for the sour victory :P

But thanks again to all.
wonderhero

Post by wonderhero » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:10 pm

Sorry Projectseph, I was almost asleep when I wrote my previous post. I was spamming :roll:
Scorpion0x17

Post by Scorpion0x17 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:07 pm

wonderhero wrote:Sorry Projectseph, I was almost asleep when I wrote my previous post. I was spamming :roll:
Tsk tsk! ;) :P
trolling [verb]: