Is Frozen Synapse going to die out?

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Paul

Re: Is Frozen Synapse going to die out?

Post by Paul » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:53 am

Hi guys,

The game isn't going to die! Well, we're going to try our best to prevent that at any rate.

We've always said that we're committed to keeping servers going - it's of massive personal importance to us that people can always play our games. If some disaster happened to Mode 7 we would make it possible to play multiplayer - we never, ever want to shut down a server.

I'm sorry there are still unresolved bugs - I want to do another bugs pass as soon as possible.

Also, again, I'm sorry people feel we haven't been communicating. I've been trying to update the blog regularly but I will make further efforts.

One of the reasons that we are putting a lot of energy into the iPad version (besides it being the number one request and also obviously a new platform which will hopefully make more money for the company - just being honest!) is that it will bring new players, make it easier to play the game regularly and bolster the community a bit.

People have asked me to release some free content so we will be doing that alongside the paid DLC which is coming soon. There will be two much-requested free features, as well as a minor new one which we hope to introduce at that point.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
T3rm1

Post by T3rm1 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:30 am

This will be a disaster, for sure. I can't believe that your company is so blind regarding this point.
The first and biggest mistake is that you aren't even working on any bugs right now. And then you are planning to release the game on another platform. This means you need even more time to fix the existing bugs because you have to do the work for both platforms.
The second mistake is that you fail to realize that your player base is not the biggest one. Releasing a DLC that costs money will split the community. Existing game breaking bugs also result in a decreasing player base. This isn't going to work out for you.
Paul

Post by Paul » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:02 am

Thanks for the advice. I'd like to reiterate a few points:

- We are continuing to work on bugs - I want to have another update out soon.

- The DLC will not split the community: any relevant features will be shared in games *started* by DLC owners. It is *optional* paid content designed for the people who have specifically told us that they are willing to pay for specific new features. It will not affect anyone else; everyone will get free extra content as well. DLC will bring new players to the game - it triggers another round of coverage, distributor features etc. etc. - it will benefit everyone even if you are not purchasing it. We have had many, many conversations about how to make sure DLC doesn't harm the existing community and we're confident that it won't.

- If there are game breaking bugs, post them in the bug forum. If you consider them to be emergencies, post them in the Hotline thread or email support directly and we will deal with them. Which game breaking bugs were you referring to specifically - it seem like you are particularly annoyed about something.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
limavictor426

Post by limavictor426 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:13 pm

As far as Im concerned the only game breaking bug has been fixed, that was the ability not to finish a game without consequence. Thats been sorted now hasnt it?? The blog says it has. Im not sure if you get all the points from a game that times out though..do you :O/ ??
Its great to be able to talk to the developers such as Paul although I wouldnt blame them for not sharing that sentiment. If like me they have kids of their own i imagine some of these conversations must feel somewhat familiar or should I say surreal LOL !!!
"Good play inspires luck,bad players moan about it"
Paul

Post by Paul » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:39 pm

Thanks for that - I really want to make sure we're on top of bugs and that we can continue to move things forward with FS at the same time.

Do keep using the various means to contact myself and Jimmeh - if we're not communicating with you enough then use the hotline thread and shout at us. Also, again, if you have a really bad problem with the game, or you find a critical bug then just email support at mode 7 games dot com and we will do our best to sort it out.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
Scorpion0x17

Post by Scorpion0x17 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:47 pm

wonderhero wrote:Scorpion0x17 relax, they will not kill the game that brought them glory. They don't want to dirty their image.
LOL

I'm not saying that they will, wonderhero!

Anyway...
Paul wrote:Hi guys,

The game isn't going to die! Well, we're going to try our best to prevent that at any rate.

We've always said that we're committed to keeping servers going - it's of massive personal importance to us that people can always play our games. If some disaster happened to Mode 7 we would make it possible to play multiplayer - we never, ever want to shut down a server.

...etc...
Thanks Paul. It's good to now have an 'official' statement on such matters that we can refer anyone like T3rm1 to in the future.

Like, limavictor says, it seems the most important issue (the two-week timeout) has been resolved now. And it's good to know you're planning on releasing more bug fixes in the future.

The only things that I can immediately think of as needing looking into is the apparent issue with the rocket-launcher firing without an aim order being given (see here for example) though I've a feeling that it's just that some previous orders don't appear for the rocket launcher guy (see here) and recent reports of units spawning on the bid line in charge games (see here and here for example).

So, once again, thank you for your response, it would be good if you could respond in more threads if only to say something along the lines of "noted, we'll look into it", or even "noted, but this isn't a high priority issue", as have been numerous occasions people have posted in threads saying something like "no response yet?", such as here where it's difficult, for someone such as myself, who wants to help if he can, to know how to respond.

And, finally, I for one am eagerly awaiting the DLC and any freebies.

:D
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
Paul

Post by Paul » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks, that's a really positive and helpful post - appreciate it.

I will get those issues that you mentioned looked into and we'll try to reply more frequently in future to stuff.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games
M0du5

Post by M0du5 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:34 am

I have been playing since launch. I take short breaks every now and again, but each time I can't wait to return. Since I sent my "extra" copy to an RL friend, I'll keep playing until he dies or they shut the servers down. If I understand correctly the new hotseat mode, then there is not a foreseeable time when I decide to never play again. Maybe if Mode 7 releases a FS2? =) So long as there is some way and some person to play I will be here.

On a somewhat unrelated matter, I have turns committed for every game in my active history folder, many dating back to months ago. If anyone wants to finish any of those, by all means, submit a turn.
Paul

Post by Paul » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:15 pm

Yep, free hotseat mode is coming soon.
Paul Kilduff-Taylor

Mode 7 Games