Final Mission of the Single Player Campaign (Mandala)...

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Scorpion0x17

Final Mission of the Single Player Campaign (Mandala)...

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:24 pm

How in &*$%£$@&^%$"£ are you meant to complete the damn thing?!

The wiki seems to imply that you should not fight and listen to Charon's Palm, but I tried doing nothing, and failed the mission.

Charon's Palm seems to suggest that there some kind of 'gap' in the pattern of movements, but if there is I can't f'ing see it!

I'm getting seriously f'ing p'd off with it. I know it's the last mission, so I just want to get it finished, but I can't. It's ridiculous. You're utterly out-numbered and the enemy has all the angles.

No matter what I do my units die.

And, no, I don't want the cheat code, I want to finish the mission, please.
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
Billick

Re: Final Mission of the Single Player Campaign (Mandala)...

Postby Billick » Tue May 01, 2012 2:50 am

Okay, I just finished the last mission. The enemy units do follow set patterns. The strategy that worked for me was to figure out what the patterns were, and exploit them by setting traps to pick off enemy units. There aren't really any "gaps" until you've taken down a significant number of units. You have to be patient and kill enough to give yourself a hole, but if you wait too long you run out of turns. Also, the level can start to glitch out around turn 7, making it even more annoying. When I beat it, I thought I had lost my shotgunner headed into the base on turn 9, but he somehow came back to life on the 10th turn. It's tough. It took me about 8-10 tries before I finally got it, so don't give up. Good luck.
Scorpion0x17

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Tue May 01, 2012 6:52 am

OK, thanks.

And, yeah, I've seen the glitches.

I shall persist and I shall overcome!

I did try getting a video of the enemy movement pattern (by doing nothing for ten turns and then exporting to youtube), but it glitched (deliberately?) and they didn't move for about half of it! Even though they did move originally!

Would you care to share any of your wisdom?

I'm finding it particularly difficult to keep my units alive long enough to do much damage - I keep trying to set up crossfires, or find safe angles, but then the enemy has so many angles and lines of sight, that they can easily pick my units off.
trolling [verb]:
Billick

Postby Billick » Tue May 01, 2012 1:17 pm

Here's a video that shows the patterns without the glitching (not mine). You pretty much have to know where the red units are going to have a chance, because you're so outnumbered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8piHtUBYv7k
Scorpion0x17

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Tue May 01, 2012 9:41 pm

Yeah, I have watched several videos of it. But, once the red units start getting shot the pattern breaks, or at least there's then bits of it missing - so you have to get exactly the same setup for the videos to be of use - that's why I tried getting the whole pattern - I think I'm just going to have to plot it out on paper.
trolling [verb]:
RaG1n

Postby RaG1n » Fri May 04, 2012 12:16 am

Once you recognise the pattern of what's going on it's fairly simple to finish the level. It took me a lot of patience and refining.. not to mention putting up with the bugs (which was the majority of the time).

A hint would be to use advantages of line of sight (e.g. shooting your enemy from behind) and also to plan your attack from one or two sides, rather than around the entire field. You have 10 turns to get a unit in there and I would advise not rushing when you don't need to; wait until turn 9 or 10 to complete the level. You should also be trying to utilise each turn as much as possible, taking out as many enemies you can without having to sacrifice any of yours.

For over an hour the level kept bugging on me and I would lose so when it bugged in my favor, respawned a few of my guys and I managed to complete the level I decided that fair was fair. I accepted the win, despite the fact that it bugged simply because of the fact taht I lost due to bugs so many times.
Archangel5

Postby Archangel5 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:53 am

Well, I'm so frustrated that I *do* want the cheat code. Ten, fifteen tries, watched the YouTube videos.. I'm just sick of beating my head against the wall and just want to see the final story entry. And every time I get close, it bugs out and I'm looking at three suddenly dead guys. Is there a God Mode or something? I am honestly sorry to sound pissy, but though I enjoyed the rest of the game immensely -- the gameplay, the story, the music -- I just want to complete it. This beating my head against the wall against insane odds and bugginess is making me like the game less and less with each try. Thanks in advance for any help, and I'm sorry. I'll give RED a good try, assuming it doesn't thoroughly kick my butt.

Return to “General”