Suggestion: Forfeit Inactive Match

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Yackemflaber

Suggestion: Forfeit Inactive Match

Post by Yackemflaber » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:16 pm

Of all the things I love about Frozen Synapse, one thing bothers me.
I've got about a dozen games or so against opponents who haven't bothered to prime their next turn in over a month, some of these are due to the players becoming inactive and some I'm suspicious are due to not wanting to have a loss counted against them (a few are in the last turn in which it is clear I will be the victor), and one is because of a glitch that didn't allow my opponent to move one of his units and wouldn't let him prime.

I was hoping for a feature that would make it so users who do not prime in an active game after about a month or so since the last turn would forfeit that match and negatively impact their rating. I don't think it would be completely fair for it to positively impact my rating since there are games in which the victor could be anyone, but the people who don't do the honorable thing and finish a game that they're well into should be held accountable.

At the very least it just bothers me to see so many games in my active game list that I can't do anything about.

on a side note if you're very active then feel free to challenge me in any dark match, my username is "Yackemflaber"
I'm willing to accept any challenges in any Dark game mode.
Username:
Yackemflaber
Scorpion0x17

Re: Suggestion: Forfeit Inactive Match

Post by Scorpion0x17 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Yackemflaber,

This is a very well known issue, by just about everyone who's been in the community for very much time, and most definitely by the mode7 team.

They did have a '2 week time-out' implemented some time ago, but it stopped working for some reason, however, mode7 have stated that they are working on getting it working again.

The way this worked, and I believe the way it will work in the future, is that if a game is inactive for 2 weeks the last person to prime a turn will be declared the winner, unless the game is on turn 1, in which case it will be declared a draw.
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
wonderhero

Post by wonderhero » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:21 pm

"working again" ??? When did work ?
You guys are talking about dream, abstract things here.
Yackemflaber

Post by Yackemflaber » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Scorpion0x17 wrote:Yackemflaber,

This is a very well known issue, by just about everyone who's been in the community for very much time, and most definitely by the mode7 team.

They did have a '2 week time-out' implemented some time ago, but it stopped working for some reason, however, mode7 have stated that they are working on getting it working again.

The way this worked, and I believe the way it will work in the future, is that if a game is inactive for 2 weeks the last person to prime a turn will be declared the winner, unless the game is on turn 1, in which case it will be declared a draw.
thanks for clearing that up. I did a quick search for some keywords to check if this topic had been brought up before but had no luck.
I'm willing to accept any challenges in any Dark game mode.
Username:
Yackemflaber
goatwarrior

Post by goatwarrior » Tue May 21, 2013 11:03 am

Anyone know if this has been fixed? I just started playing and I have a bunch of games in the queue where my opponent isn't taking their turn.
Kron-OS

Post by Kron-OS » Tue May 21, 2013 11:18 am

It is not yet implemented, but the devs said on IRC that it will be implemented soon(ish), now that they have the iPad version released.
goatwarrior

Post by goatwarrior » Thu May 23, 2013 4:27 pm

I hope it comes soon. There are those who artificially pad their stats by never completing their games.

Take snowman65 for example... Look up his stats and you'll see a lot of incomplete games.
Scorpion0x17

Post by Scorpion0x17 » Thu May 23, 2013 8:14 pm

wonderhero wrote:"working again" ??? When did work ?
You guys are talking about dream, abstract things here.
I think you know very well that it was 'implemented' and 'working' in some sense of those words, wonder'

What I now know is that it just wasn't ever automated.

Rather it consisted of one of the mode7 team manually pulling all unfinished games older than two weeks from the database and manually awarding a winner or a draw on each one.
trolling [verb]:
Neofelis

Post by Neofelis » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:18 pm

In case anyone is still wondering, the timeout was implemented and has been working for some time now.
Scorpion0x17

Post by Scorpion0x17 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:23 pm

Neofelis wrote:In case anyone is still wondering, the timeout was implemented and has been working for some time now.
Why do I still have active games that are more than two weeks old, then?
trolling [verb]:
Kron-OS

Post by Kron-OS » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:00 am

Because those are probably games where either you or your opponent didn't take his first move (which is the way to reject a challenge in FS) or both of you stopped taking turns after some later round.
Scorpion0x17

Post by Scorpion0x17 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:01 am

Kron-OS wrote:Because those are probably games where either you or your opponent didn't take his first move (which is the way to reject a challenge in FS) or both of you stopped taking turns after some later round.
Well, yes!

However the point of the 2-week timeout is that after 2 weeks it should either declare the match a draw (for those where one or both players do not submit a first turn) or the last player to submit a turn the winner.
trolling [verb]: