Quick question about life, death and ghosts

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Oz.

Quick question about life, death and ghosts

Postby Oz. » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:29 pm

Enemy peaked from behind a corner and hopped right back. In the meantime he got lit up by two of my guys and the turn ended (middle of the bursts, bullets are in flight). Now, here's the question: I see his grey ghost (meaning he didn't get killed just yet last turn) but whenever I try to issue orders to said ghost, even after moving him totally behind cover and out of sight on the other side of the map - first thing he does is getting a headshot and dying.

Does that mean he will die from the death bullet first thing next turn even though apparently he jumped out of sight? Or is it just a bug?
Scorpion0x17

Re: Quick question about life, death and ghosts

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:49 am

I had that happen once, and the result was that the unit died.

Now, whether that means it will always happen like that I don't know.

Post back and let us know how it turns out.
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:23 am

If your shooter is Machinegun or Shotgun then the fire time will be reset and he will start fire again when that enemy pop out next turn.
But if your shooter is Sniper then that enemy unit will die instantly if he comes out in front of your sniper. He must wait until the sniper's chasing is over. But your opponent can test this, so his unit will survive.

Conclusion: once an enemy unit is grey he will survive next turn. Of course if there is no bug.

The sniper was nerfed:
Let's say the Sniper spot a enemy unit at time 0. Normally the sniper will fire at 2.0 seconds.
If the target hides at time "T" (< 2 sec) then the sniper will continue to chase him another 2 - T + 1.5 seconds. This means if the target comes out he will die in 2 - T seconds. So if the target hides after 2 seconds then he will die instantly when he pop out the corner.
The total sniper's "chasing time" is 3.5 seconds.
Scorpion0x17

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:47 am

I think the question here, wonderhero, is more about whether the death bullet has been fired, rather than the time to fire the death bullet.

As I said in my post, I have had what the OP describes happen to me once. And I don't believe it is a bug.

In my case, when I looked at the replay of the turn I could see that the death bullet had been fired, but the animation hadn't completed before the end of the turn.

It's no different from those rare occasions when a unit will duck round a corner and still die, even though he's gone out of line-of-sight of the unit that kills him, because the death bullet has already been fired - it's just even rarer still because it happens to happen right at the end of the turn.
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
Oz.

Postby Oz. » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:32 pm

Turns out the guy died. Curve the (death) bullet ftw.
whisky_bravo

Postby whisky_bravo » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:45 pm

Scorpion0x17 wrote:the death bullet had been fired, but the animation hadn't completed before the end of the turn

This has happened to me a few times; there's nothing 'buggy' about what's going on - it's exactly what Scorpion said, the unit has been killed but the animation hasn't had a chance to finish at the end of the turn.

Return to “General”