Losing ranks after winning a match?

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Toma

Losing ranks after winning a match?

Postby Toma » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:35 pm

Hey,

I havent played FS in weeks, started it up yesterday (without playing any match) and was on rank 101, which was the same today. 30 minutes ago, I decided to play a match again and won a random Secure match with 97 points (no dead units on my side) and LOST 10+ ranks due to that? I havent finished any other match today.

Whats the reason of that? Does that mean I cant play against weaker opponents anymore? Anyone know more?
Scorpion0x17

Re: Losing ranks after winning a match?

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:39 pm

ELO.

Rank is based on ELO.

ELO is based on not only the score given at the end of the game, but also how much difference there is, in rank, between you and your opponent.

And yes, if you're highly ranked, and you win against someone who is very lowly ranked, you may lose ELO, and thus lose rank.
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
Toma

Postby Toma » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:44 pm

Scorpion0x17 wrote:ELO.

Rank is based on ELO.

ELO is based on not only the score given at the end of the game, but also how much difference there is, in rank, between you and your opponent.

And yes, if you're highly ranked, and you win against someone who is very lowly ranked, you may lose ELO, and thus lose rank.

I read somewhere that this should only happen if you barely win, but even winning with all units alive? That sounds rather stupid, I cant play any lower level players anymore or what? That is annoying, no matter how you put it. I mean there arent exactly many players on the server..
Scorpion0x17

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:02 am

Like I said it depends on relative elo at the time you finished the game.

Do you know what your opponents elo, and yours, was?

If so, there's an elo calculator that will tell you how much elo you should have gained/lost.
trolling [verb]:
Toma

Postby Toma » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:20 pm

Could you link me the calculator please? Googled quickly but only found some chess ones that didnt give negative points even when winning.
Scorpion0x17

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:19 pm

trolling [verb]:
BigBobr99

Postby BigBobr99 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:06 pm

Scorpion0x17 wrote:ELO.

Rank is based on ELO.

I'm ranked 65 now with almost 200 games under my belt and I've never lost rank after beaten even the weakest opponents. Sometimes I just don't gain a rank and I'm too lazy to check my elo score after each game to see what changed there.

Might use the calculaotr, though

Return to “General”