FS metagame idea

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

eyci

FS metagame idea

Postby eyci » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:27 am

Hi all, I had an idea for a FS metagame that would make the game more interesting for me, so thought I'd throw it out here for discussion.

The main idea is to take the bidding concept already present in secure/charge game modes, and apply it to the whole map setup, to eliminate map imbalances. It would go something like this:

------
1. A player signs up for the metagame, which is hosted somewhere, and receives a number of credits.

2. He can, at any time, set up a contract, comprising of a specified map and a bounty, which gives the holder the right to play him and win the bounty should the holder defeat him.

3. Other players log in, view the contracts set up by others (which includes screenshots of the map setup), and bid on the contracts they deem to be profitable, taking into account the map, player's skill level, etc. The bid amount is the amount of credits they will lose to the contract creator, if they lose the match, and is subject to the minimum bid / bidding timeframe requirements as specified.

4. Highest bidder is determined by the system, and the match takes place and credits are transferred according to the outcome.

5. After a predetermined time, say 3 months, the player with the most credits is declared the winner. All credits are reset and play continues for the next season.
-------

The main advantage I see in this is that it gives more incentive to play a wider range of unit/map configurations, instead of just the 'balanced' ones (provided that the matches take place on the non-ELO servers). It also would give players another level on which to compete - that is to be able to judge their odds of winning, in relation to the bid cost / bounty odds.

So, any thoughts? I have little idea how it would be implemented though, so any suggestions are welcome.

Also not sure just how many active players there still are, but with the iPad release coming, hopefully we'll have a more consistent player base soon.

eyci
BigBobr99

Re: FS metagame idea

Postby BigBobr99 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:56 am

Seems a bit complicated, but interesting. I have a hard visualizing how it would work. Say, a person sets up a game, declares a bounty for a person who would beat him? Then other players bid for an opportunity to play the person creating the map. Right?
eyci

Postby eyci » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:42 pm

Basically yes. The idea being that you could generate a random dark extermination, and if you feel your side is better of in terms of unit placement, set the bounty at 100 credits, with a starting bid of 50 for example. So if your opponent thinks he has better than 1:2 odds to win on that map, it will be profitable for him to play.

Another example would be a hostage map. As rescuers generally have the advantage, if you choose to play the hostage takers, you could set bounty/starting bid at 100/150, for example. It's then up to other players to decide if the rescuer advantage justifies the higher bid cost.

For me I realized I like to play matches where the map/unit setup is not in my favour. It would be nice if there was some added incentive, for example a large bounty to be won, with the risk of only a small bid cost.

I guess you can think of such a system as being identical to the ELO one we have in place, except that the loss/gain in points is modified by a 'map balance' factor that is arrived at through the bidding process.

Just my thoughts
BigBobr99

Postby BigBobr99 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:53 pm

Eyci, seeing all those ratios and bets I would swear you do play poker :D Do you?

Return to “General”