Improved Sniper mechanics?

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Zlabi

Improved Sniper mechanics?

Postby Zlabi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:45 pm

I read somewhere that the sniper unit was improved. I recall that it was that the time to kill wasn't reset if the sniper looses sight for a short time. I cannot find the description of the new behavior. Can somebody please give me that information?

Greetings,
Zlabi
Maetco

Re: Improved Sniper mechanics?

Postby Maetco » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:42 am

I have no idea about any improvement (maybe the change came before I started playing this game last summer or so) but I have noticed that sniper doesn't suffer from the loss of LoS like other units. Mechnically it could work just as you said I don't know. All I have is my own experience and it has shown me that if a sniper loses LoS for a short period the kill-time count doesn't start from beginning. I don't know if it continues from where it got when the LoS was lost or if the time counter degreases some how. Eg. if the kill-time would be 1 sec and a sniper sees the targer 0,8 sec and loses LoS for 0,2 sec. Then the kill-time counter would at 0,8 when LoS is lost. It's possible that it continues from that 0,8 when LoS is regained but it's also possible that the kill-time count is degresed somehow eg by the same amount of time LoS is lost. In this example by 0,2 sec so the kill-time counter would be at 0,6 sec when LoS is regained.

If anyone actually knows the facts I'm also eager to hear them.
Zlabi

Postby Zlabi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:45 pm

I tried again to find the description of the new behavior and found it :):

"If a sniper is aiming at a unit, loses sight of it, and then regains line of sight to the same unit, its time-to-kill timer is not reset if:
[*]The target is within 60sq units of where it was last seen
[*]The sniper is within 30sq units of where it was last aiming from
[*]No more than 2.5 seconds have elapsed since the sniper was last aiming"
Source: FS Wiki: Principles of Combat

The following are observations I made testing the behavior and are not confirmed by anyone! ^^
[*]15 units, the length the Sniper can walk without loosing the benefit, are about 3 times the width of a waypoint block (at least in my quick test).
[*]The Sniper doesn't have to aim while the target is out of sight to keep the benefit (I gave continue on sight command, moved a few blocks and aimed again -> no reset of time to kill).
[*]The benefit is lost if the sniper aims at another unit.
[*]There seems to be a minimum time for the sniper to kill a unit that was already sighted before (about 0.5 seconds).
[*]Apparently the sniper is also aiming at the position where the target was last sighted if the unit is already out of sight, meaning that the time to kill is decreased during the time, the target is not visible to the sniper. I described my observations concerning this matter here. I'm still not sure if this is intentional or a bug, although I wouldn't expect this behavior since it is described as "time-to-kill timer is not reset".

Now that I understand what happens, I like the change (except the aiming while target is out of sight). Makes the sniper more viable and not too strong I think, but I will have to play a few more games to be able to rate the power accordingly.
Maetco

Postby Maetco » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:46 am

Ok, thanks for reporting your findings. That 2,5 seconds is way longer than what I would have guessed. Need to keep this in mind. Now all I need to know is how long is 1 sq unit.

IMO almost any difference between the units that doesn't create a balance issue is a good difference and this mechanic also sounds reasonable concerning realism. A sniper has to "find" the target and take aim. After this it doesn't matter much what the target does, the sniper can still make the shot.
Zlabi

Postby Zlabi » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:10 pm

Maetco wrote:Now all I need to know is how long is 1 sq unit.

I did some more testing (I have too much time on my hands xD) and found out that the areas (30 and 60sq units) are circles with the center being the position of the unit. For the sniper it is a circle with a radius of 3 or 4 waypoint-widths, depending on if you start to count with the waypoint of the starting position of the sniper or the one next to that. For the target it is a circle with a radius of 6 or 7 waypoint-widths.

Hope this helps!
Maetco

Postby Maetco » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 am

Zlabi wrote:(I have too much time on my hands xD)

It's good that someone has (not jealous at all)

So basically 1 green waypoint box is 10 sq units. Thanks a lot for the information.
wonderhero

Postby wonderhero » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:27 am

Yes, the sniper regained his power after the last improvement. He was almost useless before this change.

Return to “General”