Annoyed at Campaign- are there any cheats?

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

FrozenFrustration

Annoyed at Campaign- are there any cheats?

Postby FrozenFrustration » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:11 pm

Hello all!

I am pretty much on the last mission. I have enjoyed the 45 hours or so that I have put into FS with much of that in the campaign. However, I am at the point where the later missions are frustrating and time consuming. Given how just about every fight is against double or triple the amount of men, most of the time the enemy can just zerg me. I'll kill one of their guys and then the second guy kills mine. Since they have twice as many guys, they win. I can counteract this by attacking on multiple fronts myself, but I am finding this is highly dependent on what kind of map layout I get and how close my guys spawn to each other. So half the time I am just restarting over and over trying to get good placement.

While I may be very much doing it wrong, I'm at the point where I am very very late in the game, and if there are other tactics I could to win, either I don't know them or the game failed at teaching them in previous levels. While I know this doesn't apply to everyone, I am the type of gamer who absolutely detests having to replay the same levels over and over because of what I perceive to be an unfair advantage. Frankly it is at the point where it feels like a waste of time. And as somebody who works too much and has way too little game time, I detest wasting time. Simply put, playing the game with the enemy so stacked against me is not fun anymore.

However, I am greatly enjoying the storyline and would like to know how it ends. Is there some kind of cheat I could do to just make my guys invincible so I could dash through last few missions, see all the dialogue, and see how things end? (I know that's a cheap request. I respect those who have the time, patience, skill, and luck to complete the game "as intended", but at this point my options are find a way through it, or just shelve it and probably not buy anymore mode7 games due to ending on a frustrated note)

Thanks for your time!
Scorpion0x17

Re: Annoyed at Campaign- are there any cheats?

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:00 am

I don't know of any god mode, or invincibility, cheats, but there is a skip mission cheat.

Alternatively, assuming you're playing the main campaign, not the Red campaign, you could take a look at my YouTube channel, where I've videos of my successful runs through almost all of the missions (I'm missing a few from the very beginning because I didn't think to start recording them until a few missions in).

See: https://www.youtube.com/user/scorpion0x17
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
FrozenFrustration

Postby FrozenFrustration » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:46 am

Guess I'll give that a try. I don't want to skip anything because I would like to see the dialogue. Alternatively I may take a break for a while. I've found that I get impatient with this game which only leads to more frustration. Thanks for your suggestion.
FrozenFrustration

Postby FrozenFrustration » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:07 am

Wow. So I sort of realized a pattern and using that was able to make much better progress. However, on the turn that I would have won with my last guy, once I submitted he somehow magically ended up dead and now the game thinks he died 2 turns ago? My earlier found motivation has been all but squelched at this point.

If someone knows a console command or something to give my guys infinite health, invisiblilty, or some other crazy voodoo, please share it or pm me. I'd love to stop playing but I'd hate to quit so close to seeing the conclusion. (Not to mention a nagging OCD issue with leaving games incomplete)

Thanks again.
FrozenFrustration

Postby FrozenFrustration » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:42 am

Nevermind. Tried again and won. Definitely not much to the ending...oh well. Thanks again.
Scorpion0x17

Postby Scorpion0x17 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:20 am

No worries.

Was it the very last mission you were stuck on?

If so, that one did take me a while too, and, as I think I wrote in the video description, I ended up mapping out the movements all the enemy units make each turn, so I was then able to position my units in the right places at the right times to kill enough of the enemy to then be able to make a run for the center.
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
FrozenFrustration

Postby FrozenFrustration » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:11 pm

double post
Last edited by FrozenFrustration on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrozenFrustration

Postby FrozenFrustration » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:52 am

Yep was the last one. Working on RED now. Think I'll take a break from it for a few days anyway. After a while I get impatient and try to rush things. Which generally results in me getting owned.

Regards
Maetco

Postby Maetco » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:33 am

Like you yourself said, you were impatient. I'm assuming you don't play puzzle games because otherwise you would be very familiar with the "sleep-on-it" method. Usually when a player is stuck in a puzzle game longer than 15 min. they should stop playing and come back after they have had a good amount of sleep (usually the following day). Many times the puzzle just suddenly isn't impossible anymore. There are probably dozens of little things behind this effect but I would assume that the most important ones are:
- the player isn't frustrated and is able to actually focus on solving the puzzle instead of focusing on being frustrated
- during sleep the brains "revisits" the problem
- people have the tendecy to go from broad vision to tunnel vision the longer they spend time on one subject (this is why people have hard time "seeing" typos they themselves make)

In the end FS is very close to a puzzle game where every turn is an independent puzzle. This is especially true in SP.

Hope you'll be able to enjoy FS more in the future.

Return to “General”