Help!

Chat about anything and everything Frozen Synapse

Moderator: Admins

Ndreamsawake

Help!

Post by Ndreamsawake » Sat May 25, 2013 5:53 pm

I'm new to the game having picked it up for Ipad, but I've played turned based strategy games for many years. I've won a few skirmishes against the computer, but am completely stumped early in the campaign. The mission is where you must protect your hacker for x number of turns. I'm increasingly frustrated by the seeming randomness of the game. For example, my shotgun was still and aiming out the door within the room I was supposed to protect the hacker. A shotgun entered the room, shot my guy in the face and it was game over. That seems completely illogical to me. What did I do wrong?
Scorpion0x17

Re: Help!

Post by Scorpion0x17 » Sat May 25, 2013 7:30 pm

Ndreamsawake wrote:What did I do wrong?
From what you stated it's hard to be sure.

The combat in the game is almost purely deterministic, and based on various bonuses depending on things like whether the units are still, aiming, and so on - and the only time the result is determined randomly is when all those bonuses cancel out.

This does mean that very subtle (such as the precises direction the unit is aiming, and whether they're distracted) and sometimes hard to detect (such as which unit saw the other first) things can make all the difference.

On the face of it it sounds like your unit should have won, and without seeing a video of what happened it's hard to know why it did not, so it could either have been a bug, or there was some reason why the result was as it was.

For more info on the combat bonuses see the wiki: http://fs.error420.com/wiki/Main_Page
trolling [verb]:
Posting with the intention of provoking a reaction.
Ndreamsawake

Post by Ndreamsawake » Sat May 25, 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks for the quick response. I will check out the link and try again.
Maetco

Post by Maetco » Mon May 27, 2013 8:35 am

Like Scorpion already said it's hard to say without a video. But this game is anything but random (other than the random map generator) so unless you have encountered a rare bug you did do something wrong. Read the basic rules and if after reading them you feel you should have won make a video an post that.